• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed VIC-1 in my Deuce.

Snarky

I just installed a Vic-1 in my deuce. I custom made a power cable for my M7777A and attached it to the terminals on my inverter for now to get power.

I took a CX-13089 cut it in half, saved the 3 prong side for later use and took the 4 progged side for my power cable. I ground down the side of the 4 prong connector so I could line the 4 pins A, B, C and D up correctly in the suppressor, then I opened up the connector and removed the wires from the pins, and next enlarged the center hole with a drill because the center female pin on the suppressor was bigger. Then I re-soldered the wires so that Pins A and B were 24V positive (red and white) and C and D were negative (black and green). I pulled the female retaining screw out of the back plate and reasembled the connector. Then I attached it to my M7777A by putting a bolt through the connector and screwing it in. I tested it all with two car batteriss in series, waha, we got communication.

I installed the equipment by putting a 67." 2x4 across the top of the hardtop in a manner that made it tight and stay up right. I installed two individual units on the passenger side, one on the drivers side, and the main control unit in the middle. I attached 3 cables to the top, 2 for the passenger side, 1 extra for cargo passenger use if needed later. 2 cables on the bottom, 1 for the drivers side, and the CX-13089 for the M7777A suppressor. The extra cable can be run through the back windows for cargo passenger use, but I store the extra headset and control unit in the cab.

I attached my M7777A custom power cable to the terminals on my inverter for use now, and I'll figure out a better way to manage power later, I would like to install a key on 24v relay or solenoid between the battery and inverter, until then it's just fused.

Attachments

Snarky

Certainly not the cleanest installation, but it was a necessity that I get this thing working and installed, so I can hear what people riding with me are saying. I look forward to drilling holes and more permanently mounting my suppressor and inverter later, after I install a better way to provide power.

jfnemt1ff1

:oops:I would like to get that set up. Does anyone know where? I know nothing about military Radios.
John
Ps Pm me if you can help with the parts

Last edited:

ida34

There was a vic-1 setup on ebay. Do a search and you should find it. I also think Tbanks had a setup for sale. You might try sending him a PM. He is a member of the board. I love mine and need to work on getting the ipod integrated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can vary wildly on Ebay. I've sold 3 station VIC-1s for as cheap as $150 and as much as over $600. Just depends on who is looking.

Snarky

I think if I was going to do it again, I would probably go with a commercial system for aircraft. The military stuff is cool and OD, but parts are kind of a pain to get together. It took me about 45-60 days to get all the stuff I needed to get this one running. Aircraft systems tend to work on either 12v or 24v, and have more modern better performing components. For what I ended up paying piecing this together, I probably could have got a good aircraft intercom.

Oh well, I'm just happy everything works. I think one of my headsets is only transmitting through one speaker, but considering I have 4 headsets, it's not a big deal, I can probably repair it.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out a better way to deal with my power being transmitted to both my intercom and inverter. Frankly my constant on live wire kind of scares me, plus I fear maybe one day I'll forget to turn one or the other off and end up with a dead deuce. One of my batteries is not all that healthy according to battery test, so better safe than sorry.

So what I figure is the best way is to probably cut into the 4 gauge wire I have and put a 24v solenoid between my batteries and also a circuit breaker to replace the fuse.

I found these two items:
DC Power Solenoid, 24V, Amps 50 - DC Power Solenoids - Solenoids - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply
https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-16516-rig-rite-circuit-breaker-24v-40a-1040.aspx

It's not that I don't trust my 30 year old looking M7777A, but... I don't trust it.

Attachments

mbarber84

Looks good Snarky, you`ll really enjoy the VIC-1. I tossed around with the idea for a while before I finally broke down and bought one. If you do much roadway driving (45+ mph), the VIC really helps the in-cab communication! Not to mention it doubles as an Accoustic Suppression Kit for your ears. (lol)

You def. went the right way, installing the MX7777, it will protect your investment. From what I have been told, the VIC system will not tolerate much when it comes to electrical variances. As far as operating the VIC-1, the only point of interest I have come across is that the bail-out connectors on the headsets can be "fussy". If you run in to any non-comm problems, that`s one of the areas I would troubleshoot first. Just make sure they are nice and snug.

Looks good, now go enjoy it!:-D

Crapgame

We used to run music into our track's intercom by using a Walkman with the headphones cut off the plug wiring. Strip the ends of the wire and hook up to the springposts on bottom of the 1780 box. Music will temp stop the trans selector is used on headset or CVC.

Should be able to do the same with IPOD earbuds.

Snarky

We used to run music into our track's intercom by using a Walkman with the headphones cut off the plug wiring. Strip the ends of the wire and hook up to the springposts on bottom of the 1780 box. Music will temp stop the trans selector is used on headset or CVC.

Should be able to do the same with IPOD earbuds.
I was trying to hook my FRS/GMRS radio into it, but I couldn't get a very high volume, I think the wires were too thin, or it doesn't output enough power.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option-
Since I also spend time droning about in the air, I have some aviation headsets and a 2-place portable intercom. I use this in my MV's on longer road trips with a passenger.

The intercom runs off a standard 9-volt battery, and basically all you have is a small box that the two headsets plug into. It has volume and squelch controls, and is voice activated (ie to talk, you just speak, no button pushing).

I bought the intercom new for something like $85 a couple of years ago, the headsets were used and were around $30. There is much higher dollar stuff out there, but this all works fine for me.
The headsets are Avcom, and dark grey in colour, so look right in an MV.
The intercom is a Flightcom IIsx. It has a plug to attach a 2-place expansion module if you need more than two headsets.

Cheers

panzerwillie

i have a question whats the inverter for , i thougth this radios work with 24 volts, i'm thinking of doing a set up in my 5 ton, trying to learn a little thanks

mbarber84

i have a question whats the inverter for , i thougth this radios work with 24 volts, i'm thinking of doing a set up in my 5 ton, trying to learn a little thanks

Panzer,

I cant speak for Snarky, but I am assuming he installed the inverter because it was convenient (while doing the rest of the wiring). An inverter is not necessary if you wish to install a complete VIC-1 intercom system in to your vehicle. Although an MX-7777 military surge suppressor is HIGHLY recommended. The VIC-1 is very susceptible to surge spikes which can be caused by any number of different instances within a truck. I would suggest looking on EBAY as a complete kit is usually readily available for sale from any number of different vendors. Bjorn (a.k.a. "cranetruck") did a really nice article on the VIC-1 system. I think it might be on here somewhere, maybe with some searching you might stumble across it. If not, PM me and I will get you some images of the write-up (they are on my other comp.)

Hope this helps!

If you need further info feel free to PM me as I have installed one of these in my truck as well. I can provide tips and pics to help if you need any. Take care!

P.S. - Based on what I have read on here, usually, the hardest item to find for the system are the correct cables. Fair Radio is one good source, ebay, and the classifieds here are two others. Just an FYI :)

Last edited:

Yohan

I had a salesman contact me about the latest system that Rory is refering to. He said it would work with a 9v battery or the 24v system in the Deuce. I think one might want a kind of surge protector of sorts on the aviation intercom, or just be sure to turn it off before shut down of the Deuce and only tutn it on after the deuce has been started. This is the system I plan on getting since I can't afford the VIC-1.

Snarky

Yeah my inverter is separate from my VIC-1. Before I tapped into the inverter's 24v leads for power to the MX-7777. Now I have a circuit protected master power switch that feeds the MX-7777 and 900w inverter. The inverted is used to run my cell phone charger. I also use it for power tools, I drilled a few holes in the deuce with it for accessories.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm proud o' ya! speak close to the mike is right! you just about go to have it to your lips. Therefore, keep your own headset separate from the others cause you never know where them other lips been!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

wsucougarx

that's the driver's control box I believe. The reason why this box is different is so anyone on the outside of vehicle can "call" the driver. When called the light glows to notify the driver to pickup

Last edited: