• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing 4" lift on m1008

Boilermkr84

Ok I recently posted a thread about doing a lift for the M1008 and was referred to the ruff country 4" lift. I purchased the 3/4 ton one due to the fact that they did not make a specific lift that I could find for the m1008. This thread will show the hurdles I had to overcome since some parts of the lift would not work.
At this time I'm not completely done with the lift but most of the dirty work has been done.
So I pulled my m1008 in the shop took the tires, brake lines off and steering arm. I dropped the u bolts necessary to free the axle from the springs. When I went to unbolt the factory springs both bolts in the front shackle were seized in the bushing and would not budge. After 10 or so sawzall blades I cut thru the bolts and disguarded the old springs. Next I had to ream out the hole on the rear shackle to a 9/16 hole were the new spring has the same bushing on both sides (were the old springs had a smaller bushing in the back) After I reamed out the rear shackles, I placed the new leaf springs in place and hand tightened the bolts. ( the extra slack will help you line eveything up before you tighten down)
Next you will raise the axle in to the correct position and get your u bolts started on the driver side.(passenger side is different). Loosen you sway bar bolts near the front shackle to give you a little play in order to line the notches up were you can tighten your ubolts to a snug position. At this point the axle should be in the correct place, the you would go to the passenger side and repeat. ( you may have to play with it a little bit b/c lining this side up could be a little tricky) One you get the passenger side in the correct position, tighten your bolts and ubolts then go to the driver side and tighten them.
You should be able to figure out the rest.
Passenger side of axle:
Ok Now for the parts side of it. You will have to get longer bolts for the passenger is leaf spring, Its a half a inch taller and the old ones wont work. Any machine shop should be able to make that u bolt longer and the bolts are standard size but with a tapered end, they just need to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer!
Driver Side Axle:
The new ubolts for the rear(in the ruff country kit) will work on the driver side leaf spring. But if you're planning on raising the rear to you wil lbe a few u bolts short.
Steering arm:
The old one defiantly wont work, and the little for bolt doflicky has a bad reputation of sheering the bolts. The dana 44 drag link for a 4 to 6 " lift will work. It looks like a S.
Brake lines:
the factory ones are a little short, I m hoping to undo the clips from the frame to give me an extra inch or two of play

Pictures will follow, Note I only did the front b/c I wanted the heavy duty spring in the rear and I like that sway back stance on the truck. I have a set of military 36" inch tires just waiting to go on.
Basically I like the steering arm altercations, bleeding the break lines and installin the new shocks.
Any questions just ask.
Grade 7 or 8 bolts only!
All together I have around 500 bucks in the lift.

Attachments

sp00n

You can use 4" "blocks" in the rear to keep the HD leaf spring. They ride a little rougher but you shouldn't have any trouble out of them with only a 4" lift.

original

I agree brake line replacement is a must. I have had the spring bolt hung in the bushing before, thats a pain in the arse. I drilled holes all the way around (through the bushing) then heated the bushing with a mapp torch. Next I knocked out the bolt and melted bushing all in one. Sounds easy but it wasn't. Anyway great job so far, thanks for posting your information and pictures.

sp00n

I'm not a fan of blocks. Especially on these trucks. Way too rough. Nevertheless, it is a cheap way to lift the rear.

He seemed more concerned with keeping his heavier weight rated factory rear leaf springs instead of the longer ones supplied with his kit rather than cost.

rickf

I don't understand why there would be any fitment problems. This truck is a K30 Chevy, period. Any lift kit for a K30 will work just as it does on a civilian truck.

Rick

mr_udy

Boilrmkr84: Thanks for the write up...your covering some of my concerns using a non-1-ton lift.

Im still confused on the front springs being different from 1/2 and 3/4 to our 1 (1.25) tons with the D60. Arent our springs wider than the 1/2,3/4 tons? Some guys mention spacer bushing sleave to make up the difference? Did your "ruff country" kit come with them?

I see "rough country" lifts for as low as $349 w/ shocks! Skyjacker 1-ton 4" lift is $750 w/ shocks. Wondering if I'm best off doing that and buying the right u-bolts or just step up and go with 1-ton designed lift (at significantly higher cost...but less headaches?).

Any recomendations on were to buy (best price)?

Boilermkr84

Brake lines are a done deal. I am going to order soon. more pics of truck attached

Ok the front springs didn't differ much, they were a little narrower but the bushings closed in the space were there was only about a 1/8th of an inch gap and when you tighten the bolts the shackles will flex a bit and close the gap.

Mr_udy The only thing is you need is 2 extra bolts and a few u bolts, its 350 bucks plus the steering arm ($120) brake line ($100). Any machine shop can do the U bolts, so its 460 plus a few misc parts. But im sure the $750 will turn into 900 or so because by the time your done. because you probly wont extended brake lines, misc bolts, etc with your kit. But Its up to you at the end of the day.

Rickf
In my experience, Most of the k series trucks came factory with a dana 44, the m1008 has a dana 60. The axle bolts up completely different, the bolts are in different locations and configurations for the steering and on the axle itself.

Attachments

rickf

Well, I used to own a 4X4 shop and I did a LOT of conversions. As a matter of fact I know quite a few guys that have bolted 1008 axles under their 1009's. The K30 came in both a 1 ton and 3/4 ton version. A lot of 3/4 ton trucks had the Dana 60 in front. Any truck with a plow package or camper package had it. One of the reasons the Chevys, military or civilian, are so popular for four wheeling is because of the interchangeability of parts. I think what happened to your shackles is just normal wear and tear. They spread with use if they were not cranked down tight and also as the bushings wear and they get side loaded. The steering is a little different but again, it is all bolt on change. One thing to keep in mind, do not do a finale tightening of the spring bolts with the truck in the air. You can tighten the u-bolts all the way but leave the spring shackle bolts just snug until it is on the ground. This will prevent preloading of the bushings which will cause them to fail rather quickly. You mention a machine shop for the u-bolts but a spring shop would be cheaper and most likely have them in stock. Be absolutely sure the u-bolts are tight to the spring while tightening and retighten them a couple of times in the next month, after that you will have no problems.

Rick

TCUCV

???? A block in the rear is going to ride the SAME.
Blocks in the rear cause axle wrap and wheel hop . . . the last thing you want to do is spit out a block in the middle of no where.

Boiler ~ I'm about to put on my 3/4 ton rough country lift . . I decided to go with a dana60 raised steering block instead of what you seem to have used in the pictures. I'm not to familiar with the 4x4 scene yet but I have friends with years of knowledge that have been helping me a littel along the way. So it sounds like you had some new ubolts made for the passenger side front dana60?

Looking forward to seeing those tires on there...

Last edited:

Boilermkr84

TCUCV Attached is the only pic ive taken of the truck since I lifted it, I will put some more on when I get a chance.

I did want to let you know that the 4 bolt raised block they make for the dana 60 steering correction is not the way to go. I have been warned that the bolts are bad about sheering off, this would not be a good scenario when on a highway doing 55.

I have a good friend whos dad has had one forever. He had one of those steering blocks, one day he was looking around the truck and notices that only one of the bolts is left in the block.

Just better safe than sorry, Its the same money

The drag link I baught will work and it only 100 bucks. Its easy as all get up to install. It s actually made for the dana 44 and is only 2 bolts to install, 5 seconds of beating with a hammer to knock the ball joints loose with a ball joint puller( you can rent the tool at most part stores) make sure your steering is strait and line the holes up and tighten her up. plus two little carter keys. presto your done.:driver:

any more questions, just ask

Attachments

TCUCV

Thanks for the heads up...I'm gonna give it a go for now b/c I got it with my kit. I'll keep an eye on it and check into the drag link down the road when I put on the high steer kit!!:grin:

Truck looks good . . . are the tires on the back bigger than the front?

SpecWarSquid

Great Thread!! I'm in the middle this very same lift on my K20 Burb and at the point of the 'Brake Line' debacle. They're getting replaced, but I don't want to pay $90 - $100 bucks for a pair of aftermarket lines from Skyjacker or where ever if I can do a lil research and find a more economical solution.

How well do the 36"s run on just a 4 inch lift? I've got 33s but want to go to the 36"s

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks