• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing 4" lift on m1008

TCUCV

I snapped one of those raised steering blocks off....on the street. They are junk. Crossover is the way to go.
Was it the bolts like what Boiler was refering to? If its the bolts, could I get better quality bolts to put in?

I'm defintely looking into a high steer down the road, I'm just looking at making what I have work for the time being...Thanks

rickf

I can tell you that we ran those spacers for years on trucks with 44's and they got hammered pretty hard. As long as the bolts were goodd quality and torqued correctly they were no problem. I did see them come loose on occaision but remember that these trucks were slamming through mud bogs and were airborne half the time. It all depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

Rick

japickar

I can tell you that we ran those spacers for years on trucks with 44's and they got hammered pretty hard. As long as the bolts were goodd quality and torqued correctly they were no problem. I did see them come loose on occaision but remember that these trucks were slamming through mud bogs and were airborne half the time. It all depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

Rick

The guy I bought my truck from does the same thing (44's, high horsepower big blocks, mudding and some jumping) and also runs steering blocks and said he's never had any trouble out of them. I am also going to run one for now since I have on on hand already but will upgrade to crossover when funds permit.

rnd-motorsports

Make sure to use grade 8 bolts that are long enought to get a good distant into the nuckle will be fine a little blue loctite NOT the red make sure your steering dampner is good. Tires a not way out of round ,balanced decent you will not have any problem. the drop down link is the better way and crossover is the best but even it has its problems! no way is 100% fullproff seen it all first hand.

1984M1009

I got longer lines for 12 bucks each the application is a IFS late 80's truck

Checkout Colorado K5 for more info

As far as the Rough Country Lift Goes Mine will be going in the trash can soon it is unbearable off road

1984M1009

It rides okay on the road but anytime I go off road I can not stand the ride it takes all the enjoyment out of wheeling. the quality is fine but the front springs should be on a duece and a half.

I have a Tuff country lift on my silverado and it is really nice. I will be replacing the rough country lift with tuff country springs in the front and a ORD shackle flip in the rear

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I used to own a 4X4 shop and I did a LOT of conversions. As a matter of fact I know quite a few guys that have bolted 1008 axles under their 1009's. The K30 came in both a 1 ton and 3/4 ton version. A lot of 3/4 ton trucks had the Dana 60 in front. Any truck with a plow package or camper package had it. One of the reasons the Chevys, military or civilian, are so popular for four wheeling is because of the interchangeability of parts. I think what happened to your shackles is just normal wear and tear. They spread with use if they were not cranked down tight and also as the bushings wear and they get side loaded. The steering is a little different but again, it is all bolt on change. One thing to keep in mind, do not do a finale tightening of the spring bolts with the truck in the air. You can tighten the u-bolts all the way but leave the spring shackle bolts just snug until it is on the ground. This will prevent preloading of the bushings which will cause them to fail rather quickly. You mention a machine shop for the u-bolts but a spring shop would be cheaper and most likely have them in stock. Be absolutely sure the u-bolts are tight to the spring while tightening and retighten them a couple of times in the next month, after that you will have no problems.

Rick
A few corrections here. K30s are 1 tons through and through. There were no 3/4 ton K30s, those are K20s. GM produced no 3/4 tons with a 60 front. 3/4 tons up to the 1st design 1977 had the Dana 44 and the second design in 77 thru 1987 had the GM 10 bolt front. V10s and V20s from 88 thru 91 also had the 10 bolts. K30s started in 77 and ran right through 87 and the V30 up to 91. All of these ran the Dana 60F. The only 3/4 tons with a Dana 60 were the Dodge Snow Commanders.

Steering box and drag links were the same on the K and V series trucks, only the steering arm differences between the 1 tons and everything else.

FWIW I'd rather walk than drive a truck with a dana 60 and a steering block, been there and have the tee shirt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks