• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a hardtop

54reo

seabeeElf said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a hardtop for my deuce?
Getting one is easy.

Getting one for $150 is the hard part.

I think "papabear" had a source for them at around $400-$500 each.

Skycop

Well we are in the process of swapping our old M35A2's hard top with our new M35A3's hard top. Got the soft top and hard top off easy enough and the soft top went onlt the A2 without any problems. I had a couple of questions, though.

#1 The angle bracket that was on the A3 with the soft top, do I need to re-use that piece with the hard top install? The A2 didn't have that bracket on it, but see question #2 for my delimma.

#2 We have the hard top just sitting up to see if it will fit and/or what "tweaking" is needed before we bolt her down. I have noticed the passenger's side door will not close as the hard top does not allow for enough clearance. I am thinking some weatherstripping might be in order, but if we leave the angle bracket in the back (along the back of the cab) the door is a little sticky but will close. Any suggestions and/or what type of weatherstripping to get?

#3 In conjunction with Question #2, the back side of the window touches the hard top and will prohibit the door from closing. I think this will be solved with the issue mentioned above.

#4 The A2 had two rather long bolts running through all of the upper window frame (one on driver and one on passenger's side). In looking at the A3's window frame it appears there are only bolt holes on the TOP of the frame. I am thinking someone didn't have the proper bolts and/or washers to install the hard top onto the A2 and made their own setup, but does anyone know if the holes in the top of the frame should be threaded?

#5 (Last one), do the holes where the snaps go for the soft top mount on the window frame line up with the holes on the hard top? Just trying to figure out where I need to start baging and pressing if some places are not meant to line up!

I think I will try the weatherstripping route on both rear sections of the hard top to see if that helps at all but all suggestions are appreciated. We moved the hard top in one piece, but after a long day we called it quits and will get back on it next weekend. I am thinking that I will need to seperate the two pieces to get a good fit though.