• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a keyed switch.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to install a generic keyed start-run switch in my 923. I want power off to the battery switch unless the keyed switch is on. Looking at TM 9-2320-272-24-4, would wire 81A going to the battery switch be my best choice? Or 81 coming from the starter solenoid? I have a constant duty 24 volt relay to install if needed if the keyed switch can't take the amperage through either of these wires. Or does anyone else have a better suggestion. I mainly want to install the switch to deter kids or anyone else from hopping in the truck and flipping switches, possibly starting it. Thanks.

goldneagle

I want to install a generic keyed start-run switch in my 923. I want power off to the battery switch unless the keyed switch is on. Looking at TM 9-2320-272-24-4, would wire 81A going to the battery switch be my best choice? Or 81 coming from the starter solenoid? I have a constant duty 24 volt relay to install if needed if the keyed switch can't take the amperage through either of these wires. Or does anyone else have a better suggestion. I mainly want to install the switch to deter kids or anyone else from hopping in the truck and flipping switches, possibly starting it. Thanks.
If you had tried to do a search you would have seen that this topic has been covered many times. All you need to do is buy a battery kill switch that connects to the negative on the batteries and the other side to the chassis ground. There are details on the proper hookup if you search for it.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had tried to do a search you would have seen that this topic has been covered many times. All you need to do is buy a battery kill switch that connects to the negative on the batteries and the other side to the chassis ground. There are details on the proper hookup if you search for it.
I did research it but I want a regular key to put on my key rings. Plus I already have a new switch and relay from another project; just wanted to use them.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I put a key switch in mine the system already has relays in the control box. The old switch will drop out the bottom you will have to drill the hole bigger. The new switch will come with instructions. Take off the 3 military plugs and use a meter to find the hot. Jump one of the other 2 leads from the hot of the starter cranks then that's the starter if not its the accessory power. I got some of the rubber connectors and made wires off my new switch and just plugged it in. You can tap off the accessory line to switch a relay off the battery for a higher current feed for your aftermarket accessories. It is a visual deterrent anyone who knows anything about these trucks could hot-wire it pretty easily though. I believe if you have a 2 speed heater fan there may be an extra lead off the switch mine did not have this though.

greenmonster

Your search must work better than everyone else this is not the first time you have searched for something and some one else has come up empty