• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installing a turbo with small exhaust

JAYHAWK 1962

anyone knows what happens when you install a turbo on an engine and leave the smaller diameter exhaust on the vehicle? would there be a back pressure problem? engine blows up stacks go flying? any ideas? thanks as always

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not a problem. When installing an exhaust brake butterfly valve, it should be about 20-30 inches down stream for back pressure considerations, a smaller dia exhaust shouldn't come close to that in interfering with the turbo.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem I see is the turbo mounts up to the exhaust differently. Wish I saw this yesterday morning, could have gotten pics for you.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Exaust gas temps would probally get too high. The turbine blades would then deform.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same reason a lot of the posts recently, have been in the wrong forums. People don't pay attention !

Please make an attempt to reread and look over your posts. Make spelling corrections and use Capitalization and punctuation(not only polite, but ITS THE RULES!):wink:

It is perfectly acceptable to see new people make simple mistakes, but you guys that have been around a while really need to try a bit harder to keep these forums neat, clean and useful!

Thank you for your time....:-D

Last edited:

Cucvnut

I understand about putting stuff in the right section. but i think telling people that they must ( its the rules ) have correct spelling and grammer is a little far fetched.

steelandcanvas

I understand about putting stuff in the right section. but i think telling people that they must ( its the rules ) have correct spelling and grammer is a little far fetched.
I don't think it's too much to ask people to use correct spelling and grammar. It's easier to read when an effort has been made to be correct. I skip over posts with bad grammar, run-on sentences, and consistantly mis-spelled words.

fireman9

Small pipe wont allow your turbo to spool up as fast as larger pipe. Turbos rely on pressure differences in the exhaust system. A turbo creates backressure between the engine and the exhaust inlet of the turbo, without this the compressor will not spin. The greater the pressure difference between the inlet of the exhaust side and outlet of the exhaust side of the turbo allows the turbo to spin up to speed faster. The smaller the outlet pipe of a turbo, the more backpressure on the exhaust outlet, which equals less total pressure difference across the exhaust side, which equals slower the spool time and lower outputs.

steelandcanvas

not everyone is perfect. :)
I'm not perfect, never claimed to be, and far from it. However, I do have pride in my language skills. When posting on these forums, you are presenting an image to people, since most of us do not know each other personally. My suggestion to individuals that post is just do your best, and don't be lazy with communication skills. Just my 2 cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks