• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing convoy light on M35A2

nchittendon

After some research, and using the TM for the convoy lights install, I see they originally had a relay on the firewall.

If I plan on using the power lead that was originally for my flame heater, am I going to run into issues by not having that relay??

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are installing two of the original amber beacons with motor and (double) lamps, they do draw considerable power. Many that left them running with the engine off found that out the hard way.
An install with a relay would probably be wise; avoids running all that amperage through the switch. Any 24V automotive relay should do.

Personally, I opted for an LED beacon - same look, but minimal power demand. No relay required either.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are installing two of the original amber beacons with motor and (double) lamps, they do draw considerable power. Many that left them running with the engine off found that out the hard way.
An install with a relay would probably be wise; avoids running all that amperage through the switch. Any 24V automotive relay should do.

Personally, I opted for an LED beacon - same look, but minimal power demand. No relay required either.
Do you have part numbers for the LED beacon?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, no...picked it up at a local truck shop. It has an aluminum base and a clear poly cover to protect the amber lens. Was about $100. Public works trucks and plows use this model around here.

tcruwithme

Convoy Light Wiring Instructions from TM

You need the relay. The original relay from the military is called an "engine cutout relay" and is part number 153014. I didn't use that specific relay, as I used a 24 volt relay and relay harness from an online vendor - Jameco. The relay I got from them was 2094194 RELAY,SPDT,24VDC,VF4A-45H11. The relay harness I got from them was 170624 SOCKET,RELAY,SERIES VF4. This specific relay had a diode across two of the pins and which needs to be cut out. The military instructions also call for using a M13516/1-1 circuit breaker.

View attachment Convoy Warning Light Installation.pdf View attachment Pages from TM9-2320-260-20.pdf

Last edited: