• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing FMTV Wheels on a M936

redrustyhill

I just got my 395/85R20 tires on FMTV rims home intended for my M936. The issue is the lug nut holes are not beveled on the backside of the wheel. Fronts are beveled. Is there any way to bevel the holes so I can flip the wheels to mount on rear axles? Google searches are coming up empty. I searched on SS prior to purchasing the wheels and tires and those who have done this said the lug nut holes were beveled on both sides so apparently these FMTV wheels are different or are not FMTV wheels.

goldneagle

You can always try a real large pipe reamer. Since they can ream steel pipes they should be able to give you some bevel on the lug nut holes. RIDGID makes some real good ones.

Last edited:

dawico

You may be able to find a large drill bit (for drilling steel obviously) that will work also. I have done this on similiar projects and it works well.

But, if you need a bit bigger than 1" it may not be worth the expense. I am not familiar with that particular issue.

Another possibliity is a step bit. They are usually available bigger than 1" and cut steel well.

goldneagle

You may be able to find a large drill bit (for drilling steel obviously) that will work also. I have done this on similiar projects and it works well.

But, if you need a bit bigger than 1" it may not be worth the expense. I am not familiar with that particular issue.

Another possibliity is a step bit. They are usually available bigger than 1" and cut steel well.
I would not recommend a drill bit since it could catch and ruin the hole and therefore ruin the rim. A reamer is designed to shave metal off.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like you have camian or another flavor of mrap wheels and not fmtv. Another member here tried to mount them on a 800 tractor and ran into issues with the rim's width since they are thicker and would not fit his studs. Also they used metric nuts originally.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the FMTV wheels that I have seen so far come beveled on both faces, so this is odd.

First of all let's make sure the bolt pattern is correct: FMTV's are all 10-on-11.25", same as M939 series; while MRAP's have a 10-on-13.2 bolt pattern.
2nd, if the wheels in question had to be used - modified, that should only be done by a professional, in a machine shop. Exact dimensions are critical here! (See this drawing to get an idea).
3rd, FMTV wheels and/or 20x10" 5-ton wheels are relatively cheap, so why bother? Get another set; the correct ones...

G.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check out ke5eua's build thread. He bought some camian wheels from the mrap scrapper in Texas and ran into this on his 800 tractor. Ditto on correct bolt pattern but not beveled on one side. Rims are thicker than 5 ton combat wheels or fmtv. OE these use a metric lug with washer built on.

I came close to buying some for just the goodyears but found some closer to me and the supplier in Tx was almost out of the aluminum rims as I wanted aluminum to sell or scrap. These also come in steel. There are 100's of these out there that came from this scrapper. They were listed here on the classifieds for a while.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, checked that thread... Yes, aluminum wheels are a different story. If that's what the OP got, I would rather sell them and get the steel wheels.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In fact! 20-bolt, steel, same as regular FMTV wheels! Interesting, those must be the exception of the rule then... learned something today.

This leaves me wondering actually: why would they come beveled on the inner side too, when FMTV's; Caiman's etc. they all use their wheels dished-in, only?

G.

ke5eua

sounds like you have camian or another flavor of mrap wheels and not fmtv. Another member here tried to mount them on a 800 tractor and ran into issues with the rim's width since they are thicker and would not fit his studs. Also they used metric nuts originally.
Yep, I'm that guy. I got the MRAP aluminum wheels and ran into all sorts of issues with them. Ended up getting 900 series combat rims. Still gotta switch the tires over, lol