• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new radiator core

VP0985

Has anyone on here attempted this? Local radiator shop wants Is an arm and a leg to replace it. I think it's something within my wheelhouse. It's literally just removing old core without destroying caps. Then soldering it all together.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

spankybear

I never tried to re-core but I did try to repair a hose fitting. It not easy as the tanks need to be very clean for the solder to work. The radiator shops have vats of acid used to clean the tanks... this make the solder work better. One of the reason the shops charge so much... environment fees specially in California... Like chrome shops... that moved to Mexico.

VP0985

I'm working with a company here in california that makes cores. They are a nationwide company. The acid is actually too clean radiator core. That is not necessary if the core is replaced. The method is to remove the bottom and top cap media blast them, solder them to the core, pressure test, then paint

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever seen how they build or recore a radiator?

They have a bath of liquid molten Lead. They tension band everything together. Then they dip pieces into that inferno, and ladle gobs of liquid Lead onto other pieces. Then they spray the whole thing with tar.

This is anything but a simple task.

Just pay to have this done right!

VP0985

Have you ever seen how they build or recore a radiator?

They have a bath of liquid molten Lead. They tension band everything together. Then they dip pieces into that inferno, and ladle gobs of liquid Lead onto other pieces. Then they spray the whole thing with tar.

This is anything but a simple task.

Just pay to have this done right!
I've done it before, with high-end musclecars. I build/restore old vehicles for a business. There is no tar or lead on quality jobs. I could pay someone to do it, but I enjoy the work that goes into it.

rcamacho

I’m in a similar position with an ECV radiator that needs a core. Best to have a shop do it or just pay $$$ for a whole replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks