• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new winch cable

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to find information on the correct method to install a new cable on the front winch. TM's do not seem to address this for the front winch and a search has come up short as well. Any help is appreciated.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD While it seems cut and dry, every wise post I have read stresses caution when operating the winch. I overhauled my winch which hopefully is now in top shape and I would like to find cable installation instructions like the TM's cover for most items relative to the deuce. Specifically:

- I assume you start by laying out the new cable and chain attached to some type of weight.
- Next would be to wind the new cable with the PTO while under load
- Finally, what method is used to make sure the cable spools evenly since you are not supposed to use your hands.

ODdave

Ok, makes sense now. I have always done it as a 2 person job and just held tention on it while holding it with a GOOD pair of
HEAVY leather welding gloves. I see now that this is not the way you are looking for. Sorry i cant be of help.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily OD. So you are saying you would layout the cable and fasten to the winch drum and then have the driver operate the PTO in reverse to retrieve the cable while someone guides the cable onto the winch. I have the welding gloves and it is new cable so it is in good condition. Can the outside person provide enough tension with the gloves to wind the cable tight enough?

David_Clements_4x4

I would strongly advise cable thats rated for 12k lbs+ pull, since if you do like I did and put a grade 8 bolt in the input shaft you will get much more pull than the 10k lbs rating, you can also have some other problems by doing this.(personaly don't recomend)

Use the stock shear pins first or upgrade to grade 5 bolts but i've been told to keep plenty of grade 5 handy if ya strain the winch often, which is still dumb imo since you can snag a snach block somewhere and double your line pull for 100$ or so.

Keeping your cable tight on the drum at all times should be your biggest concern with a winch, otherwise when you put a load on the top layers of cable it will tighten up and start to seperate the lower layers(try not to have more than 3) and it will kink the cable and it will break at that spot in the future.

For guiding the cable onto the drum I held the cable in place with a hammer, but anything works thats got a rounded edge on it.

Other suggestions:
-try to pull straight line from winch so that your cable stays evenly spread on the drum
-Use a fiber strap for attaching to trees that you dont want seriously damaged
-keep plenty of chain with you for extra length when you winch

Myopic

Its a good idea to pre load the line before spooling it all on. Make sure to have at least 5 wraps on first. Sme people spool it hand tight, some like to spool it on with a light load on it (hooked to a car). To keep it packed neatly, just screw a hook into a 18" 2x2. Stand way back (10') with the hook tool. When spooling line on with gloves, dont let it run through your hands as this will twist it. Walk it in instead. If hooked to a car dont attach with a swivel hook (no twisting). Its definaltly a two person job. Niether method is better than the other. Its just personel prefference. Hope this helps.

safety first!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the stock shear pins first or upgrade to grade 5 bolts but i've been told to keep plenty of grade 5 handy if ya strain the winch often, which is still dumb imo since you can snag a snach block somewhere and double your line pull for 100$ or so.
Do NOT put a bolt in as the shear pin. VERY bad idea!aua

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
1. Measured out the cable to the specified length. From here on out it requires at least one other person. Do not attempt to do this alone.
2. Moved deuce into my yard and parked it facing a big tree. Almost the same distance away as the cable length but a little closer.
3. Laid out the cable, removed all loops and twists, and wrapped the chain around the base of the tree. (Make sure it if untwisted and lays flat, this is how you can kink the cable if you do not do this step)
4. Got 5 good wraps around the winch, and backed up the deuce to get tension.
5. With all the slack out of the cable I engaged winch, lightly applied brakes, and my neighbor guided the cable in layers until we were 10 feet from the tree.
6. Took winch out of gear, moved forward enough to get chain free and finished wrapping the last 10 feet.
7. Took about 20 minutes.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing thing I would add to the above, is that if you can find a tree uphill from the truck, then you can just use the weight of the truck for the drag, and not have to ride the brakes.

New line runs on nice and even. Putting it on with just hand pressure works too. The new stuff will be oily, so its sort of nice to keep it clean for a while.

The most important thing about winching, is to get it through to your helper, that there should NEVER be any slack in the line. Always keep hand tension on it. As soon as the wraps get a little mixed up, stop and re-wind them. That line is far too expensive to get a kink in it - you can't get them out. They will be there forever more. Always use a tail chain.

oldMan99

As noted, a 2 person job. 3 is even better.

I always like to get and keep the cable a tightly wound on the drum as possible.

As noted, using the properly sized and rated cable is essential to safety as is using the correct sheer pin and NOT a common bolt, especially a grade 8 bolt.

Always use a strap on trees to avoid damaging and killing them (Tread lightly).

Now, how to keep the cable nice and tight? Most winches have some sort of method of anchoring the end of the cable to the drum, of course your going to want to use this. You will need a minimum of 5 wraps of cable on the drum to provide enough grip between the drum and cable to start any winching operation.

To get your 5 wraps you can use the winch power to turn the drum while you CAREFULLY feed the cable. AT ALL TIMES KEEP YOUR HANDS AT LEAST 3' FROM THE FAIRLEAD while the winch is powered. A second person who 100% understands how to shut down the winch should be at the controls.

Once you have your 5 (0r 6) wraps shut off the winch. To get the cable as tight as possible I attach the end to a stout tree or other heavy non-moving object. Have a driver at the wheel a safety person to shut down the winch and you, the cable feed person.

NOTE: The big danger is that the cable can snag your hand or gloves or clothes and suck your hand into the fairlead and literally wrap your arm around the drum until the force of the event is so great that it can and will rip your arm off of your body. This is generally considered to be pretty painful which usually causes unnecessary screaming and of course there is usually quite a bit of blood loss which always seems to splatter all over everywhere and is a pain to clean up. Overall it is noisy and messy and as a general rule you should strenuously attempt to avoid this exercise.

The "Driver" job is to apply brake pressure to the point that the wheels almost lock and slide but not quite. This will apply as much tension on the cable as your reasonably going to get and will not stress the winch in the least. The driver also keeps the truck pointed straight at the anchor.

NOTE: #1: DO NOT Stretch the cable across a street or driveway!! The cable is impossible for a driver to see and this has caused numerous decapitations. This is again followed by more screaming (Yours) and quite a bit of bloody mess (The innocent driver). This is considered poor form on your part and is absolutely to be avoided.

#2: If this is a new cable once you have the first 5-6 wraps and they are nice and neat on the drum and you begin the wrapping op have the driver apply full brakes and slide the truck just a few inches. This will "preload" the cable and remove all slack within the individual wrappings and strands of the cable. Hold this tension static for a few minutes. After a few minutes start the winch again and allow the truck to move as noted above.

The safety persons ONLY job is to kill the winch at the very first sign that any of your various body parts or clothing come within 2' of the fairlead. This person will not be chatting on the phone, texting, iPod listening or doing anything except paying attention to the space 2-3' in front of the fairlead and will at all times have a hand on the kill switch/lever.

Your job is to make sure that the cable feeds nice and evenly across the drum and as the layers build it remains nice and even. You can do this by standing 3-4 feet in front of the fairlead and applying horizontal pressure to the cable. One easy way to do this is with a snatch block and a 6' nylon strap. Put the snatch block on the cable and attach the strap to the block. Move the snatch block to the 3-4' from the fairlead position and standing on the side you want to keep the cable toward simply lean back while holding onto the strap to keep from falling backward. This is enough to nudge the cable where you want it to go.

The last 15-20' or so it is not so important to keep it super tight since you will be pulling at least that much off the drum for most any winching op. At that point you can unhook from the tree and use the nylon strap on the cable hook and just pull against the cable as your safety man activates the winch and finishes the last few feet.

Pretty simple, keeps you safe and avoids that screaming and bleeding scenario.

After any winching op that I have pulled more than about 50' of cable off I always take the time to find a suitable anchor and pull off however much I used plus another 20 or so feet and spool it back under tension as noted above. This keeps the cable always ready for use at any length and absolutely minimizes damage to the cable from heavily loading it with layers beneath.

Of course to eliminate cable damage if I am going to be really working the winch/cable hard I will use snatch blocks (To double pulling power) and or more distance to allow me to use more cable off the drum so that lower layers are not damaged. This has the additional advantage of giving me the most power from the winch. This is because with every layer of cable the winch power is decreased by something like 15% so the closer to the drum you are, the closer you are to being able to use the actual rating of the winch. I always try to leave at least 1 full layer on the drum to insure that I have sufficient "Traction" between the cable and drum to eliminate cable/drum slippage. (5-6 wraps is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM)

Since you have asked how to do this I am going to assume your a winch novice (Nothing to be ashamed of, everybody has to start somewhere!) I am going to HIGHLY recommend you read the TM covering winching and recovery operations, (Properly known as, "Vehicle recovery operations"). You will find it attached below.

You might also benefit from the list of gear I mentioned in this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62241-help-need-pulled-out-mud-houston-pasadena-tx-7.html

If you get really bored and want to read some more about rigging, read the rigging manual. (Also attached below).

Lots of very good info in those 2 TM's..

Good luck and safe winching!

Attachments

Hooty481

Not necessarily OD. So you are saying you would layout the cable and fasten to the winch drum and then have the driver operate the PTO in reverse to retrieve the cable while someone guides the cable onto the winch. I have the welding gloves and it is new cable so it is in good condition. Can the outside person provide enough tension with the gloves to wind the cable tight enough?

I am not sure but i dont think you would want to put the winch cable on in reverse. If you do this then your Hi and Lo on the winch would let the cable out and you would only have one speed going in. maybe i'm worg but just dont sounds right.

rattlecan6104

NOTE: The big danger is that the cable can snag your hand or gloves or clothes and suck your hand into the fairlead and literally wrap your arm around the drum until the force of the event is so great that it can and will rip your arm off of your body. This is generally considered to be pretty painful which usually causes unnecessary screaming and of course there is usually quite a bit of blood loss which always seems to splatter all over everywhere and is a pain to clean up. Overall it is noisy and messy and as a general rule you should strenuously attempt to avoid this exercise.
rofl Serious stuff in a comical way, I love it

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oldman99, what exactly is the fairlead? I have never heard that term and have not seen it is the TM's yet. Thanks,

Hooty481

a fairlead is what the cable will rub on when you are not winching straight forward... some are roller fairleads and some are hawse fairleads. the rollers one had rollers of course and the hawse is just a peice of steel that is usually rounded smooth... I would like to find a roller fairlead for my deuce winch if anybody has any ideas where to get one or hwo to modify one to fit it.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fair·lead (fâr l d ) also fair·lead·er (-l d r). n. Nautical. A device such as a ring or block of wood with a hole in it through which rigging is passed to ...

Myopic

Hijack- saw this ad on my local c/l 200' 5/8 winch cable unused

200' of 5/8 cable $200. I thought id share it.- hijack over.

when you get all spooled up make sure to use your winch. Even if you're not stuck, you should do some pulls so that when you NEED it there's no unfamiliarity.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rofl Serious stuff in a comical way, I love it
I watched a guy lose most of his finger this way. He was wearing gloves but the cable had a snag in it and caught the glove. They were tight gloves so he could not get out of it in time and his finger went between the fairlead and the cable. In a morbid way he was lucky there was a lot of tension on the cable so it just ripped the finger and glove off at the middle joint. If that had not happened then he would have had more damage as his hand was pulled into the fairlead. Luckily there were a couple of us who had seen much worse in service and we were able to patch him up and get him to the hospital.
Everybody sober and everybody pay attention, that is mandatory.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks