• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing the H1 Rocker Panel Protection on Hmmwv

Action

You may want the mounting brackets. I have only seen these sold with brackets once. They get left on the H1 when the owners sell these.
You might be able to make something with rivnuts in it.

Gamble

You may want the mounting brackets. I have only seen these sold with brackets once. They get left on the H1 when the owners sell these.
You might be able to make something with rivnuts in it.
I have heard some people install these by drilling through the floor of the truck and using GD-8 bolts, washers, & nuts without using a bracket. Not sure if thats a secure method of installing as its not making use of a bracket but I am open to feedback.

JimDu

At that price it looks like those would be pretty easy to make yourself.
I concur. That's what I did. The raw materials, two 19" long sections of 3/4" x 1.5", .125 wall, rectangular aluminum tube, cost me $38 total. Plus 10 3/8"-16 x 1" SS button-head bolts, 2 more 1.25" long, 6 7/16" x 2" black oxide coated flathead bolts, and associated SS washers and nylock nuts. And anti-sieze. I measured the sizes and distances between the holes in the panel, marked them on the tubing, and drilled away, ending up with 1/2" holes.
Having said all that, I'm not certain that it was the best idea to try to use H1 aluminum rocker protection plates on my HMMWV. It's a 2001 M1035A2, in case that matters. Not sure if all the floor pans are the same across the HMMWV generations. First, "you don't know what you don't know." I had no idea that there were reinforcement/mounting brackets that go with the panels. The guy from whom I bought mine, which were take-offs, told me that HMMWV and H1 floor pans were different, so I would need to fab up some reinforcements/spacers. The reality is that most folks keep their brackets when they take off the panels. I would have preferred to have the factory parts. AMG spent time and money engineering (hopefully optimizing) a system that works. But I digress...
Second, the inboard edges of both panels have a 90 degree bend in them. The depth from the upper end of that bend to the inner surface of the panel is a hair more than 3/4." One would think that this bend would wrap around the inboard edge of the footwell. It does not, at least on my truck. The edge sits flush against the floor pan. Not sure this is the way its supposed to be. At any rate, that's why I made my spacers/reinforcements 3/4" thick. Seems to work so far. Not yet trail tested.
Third, these things factory attached with 15 bolts each. (!) 9 of those are countersunk, under the panel, and 3 each in front and rear. Because my truck is an A2, the TCM is under the rear driver's side seat, so one can't pass bolts through the floor there. Also, there's a seat mount reinforcement under the front seats, so no bolts through there. The footwell of the rear seats is clear, so 3 countersunk bolts through there.
Did this in my driveway, using two floor jacks, some wood blocks, and a long-ish 2x4. Duct taped the brackets in place, just to align the holes and keep them alined during installation. Did the first one solo, and had a friend help with the second. Kind of a PIA figuring it all out, but easy work with an extra set of hands.
I didn't think to take pix of the brackets I made, but I've included a few post-installation. I have more available if anybody wants them.
Thoughts? Questions? Return fire encouraged...

Attachments

JimDu

At that price it looks like those would be pretty easy to make yourself.
Oh I just remembered: Lessons Learned.
1. When the good idea fairy visits you and inspires you to mod your truck, do your research. I should have learned about the brackets before throwing down on the panels.
2. Check Steel Soldiers! There's a wealth of info on here. If you're gonna do it, somebody else probably already has, and can help. Or at least sanity check you and your good idea fairy.
Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks