• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installing turbo on 818 with jakes

atvcat33

story of the truck.... regular XM818, 25B jake brakes, now installing ntc-420 turbo. the real issues are hood clearance, with the jakes installed the radiator cap, blow by tube, and front valve cover hits my hood already, but iam able to close it, now i have had a few designs of intakes to pick from and use as much cummins parts as possible because longer the tube the longer air takes to get to the intake and longer to hold boost

a NHC-250 was availible to get a turbo through cummins it would have been a 270 using there small turbo like a 465 c style.

pictures show some of the options i have had and clearance issues, will have running by sunday and MORE PICS THIS WEEKEND

Attachments

atvcat33

the pic with the mirror is VERY IMPORTANT!!! if these plugs are not in the intake you will build PSI in your heads and blowing a gasket and or putting excess PSI into your oil. A turbo engine from cummins would have these in, though i have worked on NH motors which are natural aspirated and had no plugs. but the plugs can only be installed from above and by removing rocker boxes, simple silicone should fix any that are not plugged. i have issue with the other intake hitting my jakes, no i am not using the military or the other one in the pic but i will use a differnt style that i will post next week

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks nice...what i would give to have a 5 ton with a turbo and jakes.... after its done you have to post a video of it and make sure you get some jake brake action! :beer::grd:

area52

My M816 has a Jake brake system installed by the military. They cut the hood and installed a raised "box" over the back heads. I figure if I ever install a turbo, it would have to be raised some more to clear the crossover tube unless you go through an inter-cooler up front.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the turbo a divided entry? If so, give me the p/n and i'll check the brakes. 25B's shouldn't be used with divided entry turbos. Bad things happen.

atvcat33

the turbo is a...#- 4LHR-773 SCHWITZER
cummins # 196389.

i have never heard of any complications with divided entry and jakes before???

let me know what you find

atvcat33

yes willwagner you are right, i looked at a older book i had and read the following,

dual enrty turbos make more and quicker boost than a single port turbo, the reason for being a issue is say you have a 80,000 lbs load going down hill and you turn the brakes on the moter is still pushing exhaust and building boost, which could cause the motors exhaust valves to stay open to long causing the piston to hit the valve bending it. this can be changed by adding the correct auto lash on my 25bs or upgrading to a differnt jake head, which i could do but i simply think watching my boost will make a big deal and not letting it get too high

Monty

looks nice...what i would give to have a 5 ton with a turbo and jakes.... after its done you have to post a video of it and make sure you get some jake brake action! :beer::grd:
I've had a ride and I can tell you it's loud! My wife could here us over a mile away when we were on the brake going down a slight grade.

I've seen some you tube videos of trucks on jakes and they are no way even close to being as loud as this truck

I was wondering when you were getting to that turbo project.

If you need a hand give me a call

atvcat33

got the truck running now, actually had a issue with the rebuilt turbo, i was only getting 8 psi of boost, so i ended up taking my turbo off and in the process of putting a different turbo on. i ended up getting oil all over the truck. any way i was able to turbo this truck using all cummins parts and very cheaply, the expensive items were making longer hose and exhaust couplers.

there are still things to improve on, gauge mounting will end up going were the stock ones go. my mil. temp sensor never worked and i dont need to use the grid heater no more knowing i have a block heater, i still need to hook up the heater core lines, and plumb the coolant filter and hood clearance issues.

have more pics comming soon and let me know if you have questions....

Attachments

Nice job! Thanks for not using a muffler! We just completed installing a 7" stack with a muffler delete on our M920. Sounds awesome especially with the high setting on the jake. I could only imagine how loud that NHC 250 was with a jake with no turbo to silence exhaust flow. Thanks for the pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks