• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Instrument Cluster Lighting

usmcgunner

Two questions:

First, What is this?
20130102_073811.jpg

If you can't tell, this is just above the heat control. The dash area there is normal, it has has the volt meter and that's it. When I pulled the dash to do some other work (that question is next) I found this stray bulb socket. You can see just behind where it ties into the harness. Anyway, no bulb in it and I can't tell where it goes.

Next question, how in the heck do I get to the bulbs in the instrument cluster? I've searched all over, but can't find a good explanation or video. I have some bulbs out that need to be replaced.

MT4222

The light bulb socket with the grey and black wire is the backlight for your voltmeter. To access the lights you need to pull the black plastic face. Then pull the white instrument cluster and they will be in the rear.

scottladdy

Also, be careful with that socket. There is a very short crimp on both wire ends that is easily pulled out. Seems to have happened to a number of members.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do have the TMs don't you? When ever I want to know what a part is, I look thru the Parts Manuals to find the item and what the part number is. And also the wiring diagrams in the appendix of the TM 9-2320-289-20 or the TM 9-2320-289-34.

You wire is the lamp socket for either the Voltmeter or the Heater control (more than likely the voltmeter)

Bulb sizes are listed in the TM parts manual.

For the cluster, all are 168 except the GEN2 bulb and the bulb between the Speedo and fuel gauge. They are 194s
TM 9-2320-289-20P, Figure 34, items #18, #20, #21

The voltmeter lamp is a 1445, TM 9-2320-289-20P, Figure 35, item #8

The heater Control lamp is a 194, TM 9-2320-289-20P, Figure 56, item #1

You can get to many of the instrument bulbs from the back without pulling the cluster. Takes a little determination from under the dash. 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and the socket and bulb are out.

usmcgunner

I went ahead and pulled the cluster. It needed a lot of cleaning anyway. Unfortunately the 33* weather made for some brittle plastic. Oh, well, nothing too important broke. Thanks for the chime though. I'll remember for next time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks