• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Instrument Cluster Questions

cmroles

I have a couple quick questions regarding the instrument cluster in my M1009.

1. I need a replacement light-bulb socket for the Voltmeter gauge. I've checked part sources and can't seem to find one that will fit properly into the gauge. Anyone have a source?

2. Is the main instrument cluster housing the same from a civy truck? My cluster has a couple of broken mounting tabs and I'd like to replace it. The gauges work great, I just need the housing. Additionally, I'm a little curious that because my housing is a light-green color and the references I've found all say it should be white. Is mine non-standard in some way, or did they come in both colors?

3. I also found 168 bulbs installed in Gen 1 and Gen 2 positions. The searching I did here indicated that they should be 194. Should these be switched back to 194's or will the 168's be OK to leave in?

Thanks

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Just have to keep looking or get one off a parts truck. Contact Hawkman. he has many.

2. The stock color is the light green. People paint it white to make it relect light more. The stock civvy unit with idiot lights will work. The one with gauges will not.

3. All the instrument cluster bulbs should be 168s except the GEN2 bulb and the one in the center for the speedo and fuel. That is according to the parts manual. The 194 bulb has a differnt wattage.

HAWKMAN

I have a couple quick questions regarding the instrument cluster in my M1009.

1. I need a replacement light-bulb socket for the Voltmeter gauge. I've checked part sources and can't seem to find one that will fit properly into the gauge. Anyone have a source?

2. Is the main instrument cluster housing the same from a civy truck? My cluster has a couple of broken mounting tabs and I'd like to replace it. The gauges work great, I just need the housing. Additionally, I'm a little curious that because my housing is a light-green color and the references I've found all say it should be white. Is mine non-standard in some way, or did they come in both colors?

3. I also found 168 bulbs installed in Gen 1 and Gen 2 positions. The searching I did here indicated that they should be 194. Should these be switched back to 194's or will the 168's be OK to leave in?

Thanks
I can do the Volt meter gauge socket for $6.00 mailed to your door. I'll try to get a bulb but can't promise it will ship well, also I can cut wires long to give you plenty of room to splice. PM me if interested. TX's

1956_4x4

1. Just have to keep looking or get one off a parts truck. Contact Hawkman. he has many.

2. The stock color is the light green. People paint it white to make it relect light more. The stock civvy unit with idiot lights will work. The one with gauges will not.

3. All the instrument cluster bulbs should be 168s except the GEN2 bulb and the one in the center for the speedo and fuel. That is according to the parts manual. The 194 bulb has a differnt wattage.
Does anyone know what type of symptoms having a 168 bulb in the "Gen 2" socket might have on the charging system?

Smitty

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
168s are ~5w and the 194 is ~3.8w.

Since the GEN2 is 24v that light should be a 194 .

If you used a 168 bulb in GEN2, the circuit "should" be okay for excitement but the bulb would burn brighter. I have never checked it though.

With the bulb burning brighter, it will get hotter and possibly melt/warp the cluster housing

Last edited:

cmroles

One more question....

Is there a way to "adjust" the mileage on the odometer? I'm thinking about swapping out the Speedometer for a civy unit that has the trip meter. I just don't want to have it show the wrong mileage. Ideally, I'd be able to set it to what the current unit shows.

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes there are ways to do it. The FEDS have something to say about it. :shock:

cmroles

Yes there are ways to do it. The FEDS have something to say about it. :shock:
My bad. I didn't intend to suggest anything illegal, only to have a replacement odometer show the correct mileage for my truck.

By the way Warthog - thanks for all your input on this question and others that I have had. This site has provided a wealth of info that has helped me correct MANY little problems that my truck has had. Lots of little electrical stuff has been corrected thanks to all this info.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad I can help out. This site was extremely helpful when I discovered the MV Madness. Just paying it forward.

markg

My bad. I didn't intend to suggest anything illegal, only to have a replacement odometer show the correct mileage for my truck.

By the way Warthog - thanks for all your input on this question and others that I have had. This site has provided a wealth of info that has helped me correct MANY little problems that my truck has had. Lots of little electrical stuff has been corrected thanks to all this info.

Thanks,
milage is exempt after 10yrs on vehicle titles. what you do with your vehicle is up to you. no fraud intended. the odometer reading is easy to change on these trucks but it takes practice. lots of people want there's to start at 000 when they do a major restoration. thanks. mark

Last edited:

cmroles

Any mechanical speedometer (same style) from a civy Blazer should fit correct? I'd like to use the current printed circuit board since it works fine....just want a trip-meter and if possible a 7-digit odometer that will keep track of the many hundreds-of-thousands of miles I intent to put on the truck! [thumbzup]

markg

Any mechanical speedometer (same style) from a civy Blazer should fit correct? I'd like to use the current printed circuit board since it works fine....just want a trip-meter and if possible a 7-digit odometer that will keep track of the many hundreds-of-thousands of miles I intent to put on the truck! [thumbzup]
civy's are the same through 91. gm replacement to the military are the million mile ones you see on ebay. if you want one with a trip you'll need a civy and if you are careful you can put the miles where you want them.

with the speedometer head in your hand you'll see two screws on the front. remove them, dont remove the needle, you'll end up breaking something else. (ive tried). with the screws out there is enough room in the back to remove the clip that holds the odometer. you can slide it out, making sure the plastic alignment piece stays straight. once removed, you can play with the numbers and figure out where you want them. if you need more help i have some old ones i can take pictures of. thanks. mark

Last edited:

unaffiliated

One more question....

Is there a way to "adjust" the mileage on the odometer? I'm thinking about swapping out the Speedometer for a civy unit that has the trip meter. I just don't want to have it show the wrong mileage. Ideally, I'd be able to set it to what the current unit shows.

Thanks!
A speedometer repair shop can legally set the mileage on a replacement speedometer to the actual mileage of the vehicle. I have done that before. They just have to document it.

markg

A speedometer repair shop can legally set the mileage on a replacement speedometer to the actual mileage of the vehicle. I have done that before. They just have to document it.
vehicles over 10 model years old are exempt from milage disclosure at title transfer. currently 2001 are exempt. problem solved. if you dont want to repair the unit yourself just do what the military does, replace it with a new one!!thanks. mark

scottladdy

Part number please ...

I bought a bulb socket at NAPA that was a close fit. A little work with a utility knife, and it fits great. Joe.
Hi Joe,

Do you happen to know the NAPA part number you used? I'm sure the gray wire issue will continue to occur. Thanks ...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

stationjj

Warthog,

I took out my instrument cluster recently. to clean and replace all bulbs.
After I did this I got a Gen1 light back, but lost Gen 2 light.

So Gen 2 uses a different bulb? I am fairly certain I used 168 bulbs in replacing all bulbs. The auto parts store checked on their computers, which is the chivy version.

I need to get some 194 bulbs. So this may explain why Gen2 light quit working after I replaced all bulbs? Interesting.

Thank You

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks