• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

insulating and making a cucv a bit quieter

wired1000

bought two rolls of Quick Roof at Home Depot today. Looking forward to a quieter ride tomorrow. I also found rolls of pink foam, quite flexible and very cheap. It was like 8" x 30' or something... I don't remember exactly... and about 3/8" thick. for ~$7. I'm thinking that I could buy some interesting cloth and make a headliner or wall panels... make it look a little more homey than the bare-metal MV stuff. Then again, having the inside of my M1009 look like a moon lander (lots of shiny aluminum) is extremely tempting...

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to consider sound-proofing the exterior door panels. During my M1028 rebuild, I installed DynaMat to the exterior door skin and it really quietened down the road noise. With all the inner door workings removed, I reached down into the door cavities with a Scotch Brite pad and knocked the crud off. Then I vacuumed them out and made a thin cardboard template of the inner skin profile. I then transferred the template shape onto the Dynamat and cut the profiles with a razor knife. The shapes were then slid into place with the paper still on to prevent premature sticking. Once in place the paper was gently removed (kinda tricky) and the DynaMat was adhered to the door skin. The doors now close with the quietness of a luxury car.

Attachments

84cucv1ton

been real short on time. This is my project for today and tomorrow probably. jdeoliveira74, I can't find out role at the Home Depot or Lowe's. What I was thinking if I used that stuff on the inside of the door. It would is soak up water and rust. dynamat is supposed to be great stuff sure is pricey though. The think of using his foot wide sections of insulation for pipe but once again I would like something that does not absorb water. Not sure what to do. i need to get this done.. going to the local hardware store see would they have. Maybe I have some luck there. You know how goes have a nice Sunday guys

jdeoliveira74

Roofing supply carry it its called peel and seal butyl rubber with aluminm backing looks like dynomat. Lowes sells it online for sure in 3' rolls. sometimes the quick roof repair is near the windows

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use rubber mats with marine carpet on top. Seems to do pretty good. I am pretty sure I am going to use butyl when I redo the truck this spring.
you will also find that you will need to fill a bunch of small bolt hole, screw holes, etc in the floor and/or firewall prior to adding the sound deadening material, otherwise those spots will go soft - ask me how I know this one :cry:

OH, and you can get commercial rubber backed floor mats sized about 3 x 5 feet for like $20 each at Lowes or Home Depot. Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat-60-443-1902-30000500 at The Home Depot

A buddy of mine took two or three of those and cut them to fit and laid that over his insulation material and it not only looked great, but you could actually hold a conversation and he could talk on his cell phone - he had also added a muffler to his truck, so that helped a ton as well in lowering the sound in the cab

Last edited:

TXM1009

I need to go to Lowes and see if they have it locally. I would love to quiet things down a bit. Thanks for all the great pics. Has anyone had this stuff in place for a long time? I'm worried that it might trap moisture if some does get in and cause rusting. I've got a hole now that I need to weld up in the passenger floor before I can do that side anyway.

jdeoliveira74

I need to go to Lowes and see if they have it locally. I would love to quiet things down a bit. Thanks for all the great pics. Has anyone had this stuff in place for a long time? I'm worried that it might trap moisture if some does get in and cause rusting. I've got a hole now that I need to weld up in the passenger floor before I can do that side anyway.

this stuff is make to fix metal roofing.... As long as the area is clean and it sticks nothing is getting under it!

I have worked with dynomat for years and i have never seen rust issues caused by it

TXM1009

Thanks jdeoliveira74. I think I will see if I can get the wide roll, that will cut down on the number of seams, so less opportunities for me to mess it up.

jdeoliveira74

Thanks jdeoliveira74. I think I will see if I can get the wide roll, that will cut down on the number of seams, so less opportunities for me to mess it up.[/QUOT

You cant mess this stuff up but the 3' roll will def give you less seams may be harder to work with just because once its stuck very hard to get off!

If you have an abc supply by you they sell it also or any roofing supply house should have it !

1StumpJumper

Just used the Peel & Seal from Lowes this weekend on the old lady's 62 Falcon. Worked well, just make sure the surface is CLEAN and dry. Works great to show wich weather stripping needs replaced:-D

84cucv1ton

thanks for the posts guys. glad to hear it does not cause rust.. picking some up at the roofing supply this week.. going to get 8 rolls

cptd

Has anybody done an entier hood with the peel and seal? Would you have to do multiple layers to get out of the low spots and have a more even surface?

CPTD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks