• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

insulating the cab what a difference!!!!

85-m1028

well I finaly broke down and went home depot and bought two cans of insulating foam, pulled some of the hole plugs out the cab roof. I have em at the top of the door and above the front windshield "behind the sun visors" I put one can on each side front to rear and down the a pillar, this makes the cab soooooooooooo much quieter, the intake growl doesn't reverbrate through the cab roof anymore, :) just thought I'd throw that out there, plus it just might float now if I ever accidently drove it off a peir :p

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I read this post and went straight out to buy some. I used 3 cans on the roof and front pillar. I think the roof needs another can in the center (might have to drill a hole). I am going to buy three more cans to fill the rear pillars, below the rear window, doors, and the open area below the doors (several fill plugs). Small difference so far but money well spent to keep my hearing. Im still trying to get this stuff off of my hands and steering wheel. permanent

85-m1028

by the way dont get it on your hands!! and put the plug back in as soon as your done, its takes about six hours for the stuff to set up so probably best to do in the evening and let it sit over night, I notice after driving on the freeway for about an hour and comming into a quiet house my ears don't ring like they used to, I have thick vinly flooring with underlayment and rubberized undercoating on the firewall and trans tunnel, so the cab was still pretty loud with no roof insulation

greg6459

I have a friend that put carpet and sound deaden r in his M1010 on the floor. This makes a huge difference also...

I did my interior recently. Put a sunroof in where there was a big dent in the roof. Used the metal I cut out of that and welded up some boxes to mount a set of 6x9 speakers in the corners behind the seat. stripped the floor down and treated it with phosphoric acid, then rustoleum rusty metal primer, then 3 coats of rubberized undercoating. After that, I used silcone adhesive to tac down a layer of heat insulation (looks like two layers of foil with a layer of bubble wrap in between). Next I layered down a layer of mold-resistant carpet padding, then placed black marine carpeting over that. I also glued in some 3/4" styrofoam inside the doors and mounted another set of Kenwood 6x9 speakers there. The stereo sounds nice in this thing even at 75 MPH. I think I will try the expanding foam trick in the pillars, now that you mention it.

Mark63

It does make you wonder how water resistant something can be when its water based, but that said, car manufacturers have to use VOC free paints (water based I believe) over here in Europe now.