• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

insurance for my 923

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmfic

Well looks like my sf97 is on the way. I was wondering if anyone in TN has any advice they can give me on going to the DMV and just what to say to them. And was wondering if anyone has had insurance through state farm in TN, and how was it listed to be able to insure. Thank you for any help in this Im not wanting to get the run around from any more state or insurance people.

bonshawman

Sorry - don't know about TN MV laws.

In Florida, because of the weight of my M931, I am required to declare the GVW of it, any trailer it will haul, and any cargo thereon (in my case, as it weighs 22K, I declared 43,999 which required 100K liability insurance. If I have gone to 44K, it would have triggered a 300K limit).

Florida has conflicting statutes regarding definition: One says a "commercial vehicle" is anything with three axles "regardless of use". But another statute defines a CMV as engaged "in commerce".

I obtained a very reasonable Commercial Insurance policy for the 931 from Gulfway in Florida (they advertise in AHTA magazine).

If TN is interested in USE, then that initiates one response. If they are interested in WEIGHT or AXLES, or "VINTAGE" (as in antique, etc) those may be additional responses.

Some states have a problem with military vehicles because of their former use - but in Florida they meet all the requirements for being "street legal" - I even put a set of removable flaps on the 931 to be compliant, and of course I have a Class A CDL so driving the tractor connected or otherwise is not an issue.

Tagging and titling for me was a breeze. Good luck.

jstier

Don't know about State farm in TN, But I have mine w State farm in IN.
Commercial insurance for non commercial use. I don't have full coverage, but I do have fire and theft. I pay about $230 a half.

Hope this helps.

hmfic

Thanks guys for the help .I realy hope some of the guys in TN would chime in. Ill call State Farm tomorrow and as about commercial insurance.

Bonte

I'm waiting for my quote to come back from State Farm for the M934A1. I have three vehicle policies with them which include a historic ambulance (two axle, GVW 18,200) and they insured it under a commercial policy for non-commercial/personal use. I pay about $422 a year for the ambulance. Will post the quote as soon as I receive it.

I'm curious if anyone has checked into historic vehicle insurance policies and see if they'll insure deuces/5-tons?

Bonte

Bonte

State Farm wouldn't do mine under Historic because of wieght of truck.
Just got my quote. This is for a commercial vehicle policy with special consideration for with low mileage per year and personal/non-commercial use.

$440 / 6 months. $250k bodily injury / $500k per accident / $100 property

They will not cover comprehensive or collision as it is a military truck.

My 1989 International S1600 Road Rescue ambulance cost me $400 / 6 months and includes full coverage.

Is this about consistent with MV insurance?

Thanks,
Bonte

wsucougarx

I'm waiting for my quote to come back from State Farm for the M934A1. I have three vehicle policies with them which include a historic ambulance (two axle, GVW 18,200) and they insured it under a commercial policy for non-commercial/personal use. I pay about $422 a year for the ambulance. Will post the quote as soon as I receive it.

I'm curious if anyone has checked into historic vehicle insurance policies and see if they'll insure deuces/5-tons?

Bonte
Yes, State Farm does have a Classical Vehicle policy. Just converted two deuces over to that policy. Now there is a catch, it has to be restored. My agent said they won't cover just any MV. If it looks like something that you can't take to a car show then forget it. Luckily I painted the cab int and truck. Well worth it too as I only pay $26/6 months (Yes! that's only $26 total for 6 months)

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have comprehensive through Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Co.on my M818 and M813 no mileage limit and no need to store inside for $136 a year for the pair.

jstier

Yes, State Farm does have a Classical Vehicle policy. Just converted two deuces over to that policy. Now there is a catch, it has to be restored. My agent said they won't cover just any MV. If it looks like something that you can't take to a car show then forget it. Luckily I painted the cab int and truck. Well worth it too as I only pay $26/6 months (Yes! that's only $26 total for 6 months)

My agent said. Deuce no problem w Classic insurance, but due to the weight of an M923 they won't do it. Cause if I hit someone it's going to cause some serious damage.

State farm did quote me Full Coverage and Liabilty. I went with Liabilty w fire and Theft adder. Cause if I hit someone other than a Dump truck or Semi, I think the truck will be just fine.

03silverado

Gulfway insurers in Florida is who I'm going with for my M813A1 they had insured my M818 too and are very reasonable I pay like $144 a year for my truck it is commercial insurance but I guess that's just for the size of the truck, I have state minimum on everything and highest deductibles possible to keep the rate down

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Progressive did the insurance on my M915.......did a farm policy since I live out in the sticks.

Full coverage is a little over 200 bucks a quarter.

I'll be switching the policy over since I got the M928......not sure if it will go up or down.

wsucougarx

Just got off the phone with my State Farm agent. My '83 M923 was just approved for Classical/Antique insurance.:) My rate is $22.07 for 6 months or $44.14 per year;-).

wsucougarx

Got my State Farm paperwork yesterday. Here's a pic of my policy if you had questions of what the coverage actually is. Could only secure liablility on her. No problem. Funny how my coverage on the 5 ton is cheaper than on my 2.5 tons. Maybe is has something to do with their perceived value of the vehicle. They have the deuces appraised at $25,000 and the 5 ton at $15,000...go figure

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks