• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicergear

All depends on the underwriter.
Bingo. When I had my Dodge Viper it cost me less to insure that than a 3/4 ton GMC. My insurance company said she asked the underwriter if that was correct and he told her literally, "I'm having a good day today, so yes." Sort of sucks it can be that discretionary however.

The bad part is the weight. Some insurance companies are strictly black and white with weights. "over 20,000lb? COMMERCIAL." So you pay, others are more lenient.

The comment about the 'minimum coverage companies' is fairly accurate. I got picked off on my bike by a holder of one of those companies. I'm still supposed to get my leg operated on but their minimum coverage was laughable. :(

Hooper

We bought an Arizona-registered bobbed Deuce a short while back. The truck is still in Arizona, but I have the title andBill of Sale..

Today I went to my insurance company(Country Financial) here in Nevada to get coverage for this truck. They said they would not cover it "because it's been MODIFIED".

Now what? I have six other vehicles covered by this outfit, and I am quite prepared to tell them to take their policies and place them "out of the sunlight".

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Right now I am angry...VERY angry.
I had good luck with State Farm. If my vehicle was a 1992 or older, J.C. Taylor was way way cheaper, like 150.00 for the year.

BruceB

Yesterday I went to Country Insurance, the carrier of our home insurance policy.

After some discussion, and having the Agent and "the underwriter" (someone up the chain) view the Ebay photos* of the truck, they decided it could be covered....IF we transferred our other six vehicles to their coverage.

I don't really mind this, since we are disenchanted with the Farmers' outfit.

At the very least, we now have an option for insuring the Deuce, and I'm in a MUCH better frame of mind.

* to see this fine machine, go to www.ebay.com and search for 330579360428

I know I'm badly prejudiced, but it looks pretty to my eye! Now, if I can just arrange to GET it here....

B

BruceB

Yes sir, that was the bid...$6500 and change. I thought it was a good price, and I'm pleased to have the agreement of a few more-experienced hands on this subject. There were several other bidders, especially in the last few minutes before the auction closed.

It has the air-shift transfer case, too, which was a concern of mine.

I know that the readings on miles and hours are highly-speculative, but I'm told that it had very little use by the last two owners... I hope to change that!

It's rather strange, but until just the last few weeks I was completely unaware of the practice of bobbing the Deuce. Shouldn't have been surprised, though, because it's such an eminently practical idea for folks who don't need a full-size Deuce, yet still want a truck more capable than the Detroit pick-ups.

B

ICAT

anybody in Idaho have a problem getting insurance? If not, please tell me where you got it from.

JasonS

Adding something to a car that has been designed to fit properly by the aftermarket manufacturer is not modifying it. Chopping off 3 ft of frame, and an axle then reworking the brakes and drive shaft is most definitely is. /QUOTE]

I completly disagree. If it isn't OEM replacement, it is modified.

Further, do you really think that the aftermarket industry is automatically and intrinsically safer than a properly executed bob? Laughable.

Lastly, most of you IMHO are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Dave08

anybody in Idaho have a problem getting insurance? If not, please tell me where you got it from.
I am having problems in Florida; Grundy turned me down saying the vehicle (M109A3) was to heavy and not a collector item. I was told to look at Hagerty and see if they will insure.

USAA does not insure these MVs and turned me towards progressive. Progressive apparently insures the MVs but are expensive. i just need insurance in order to get my license plates which I am also having a problem with. All these problems will be overcome with time and effort. I know that this does not help you in Idaho but take a look at Progressive and Hagerty Insurance companies and see if they will assist. Just be sure to tell them that the MV is used for pleasure only.

How about other Florida MV owners; what have you done about license plates and insurance?
Dave08

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave08

Gulfway for insurance. You can get a permanent antique tag for any ex-MV in Florida regardless of year. You have to mail a form in to Tallahassee to get it now; you can't get them at the tag office any more. I have permanent antique tags on both of my trucks.

Search is your friend. It's in here somewhere.

Here is the first page of procedure RS-25. Down load the whole procedure so you have the form number and address you need to send it too.

Florida
Department of Highway Safety
and Motor Vehicles
Division of Motor Vehicles

PROCEDURE
RS-25

SUBJECT:
HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT), ANTIQUE (REGULAR AND PERMANENT)
AND AUTHENTICATED LICENSE PLATES

DESCRIPTION AND USE:
THIS PROCEDURE PROVIDES INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS TO ASSIST TAX COLLECTOR EMPLOYEES, LICENSE PLATE AGENCY EMPLOYEES, AND THE DEPARTMENT OF HIGHWAY SAFETY AND MOTOR VEHICLES WITH THE ISSUANCE OF HORSELESS CARRIAGE (ANCIENT), ANTIQUE, AND AUTHENTICATED LICENSE PLATES.

I. PROVISIONS OF LAW:

Section 320.086, Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of Horseless Carriage (Ancient), Antique (regular), and historical authenticated license plates. Upon payment of the license tax for an ancient motor vehicle prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a) or (3)(e), the customer may be issued one of these special license plates.

Section 320.086(3), Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of a permanent Horseless Carriage (Ancient) or Antique (permanent) license plate to the owner of ancient, or antique fire-fighting apparatus or other historical motor vehicle or former military vehicle.

Section 320.086(4), Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of a historical license plate to the owner of an ancient or antique motor vehicle.

Section 320.086(5), Florida Statutes, provides for the issuance of an antique license plate for former military vehicles that are used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display and are exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia, if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. The license plate and registration certificate must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

Section 320.086(6), Florida Statutes, states: "Former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

II. DEFINITIONS AND GENERAL INFORMATION:

Vehicles classified as ancient or antique may be issued regular, special, specialty, or personalized license plates (See Exhibit A).

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Revision(s) to this procedure: Updated "Note" on page 2, updated section VIII, pg. 5, and revised Exhibit B, removing military vehicle. [/FONT][/FONT]

DIVISION DIRECTOR
EFFECTIVE DATE
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]07/01/05 [/FONT][/FONT]

REVISION DATE
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]05/10/10 [/FONT][/FONT]

PAGE #
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]RS-25-01 [/FONT][/FONT]

BruceB

I wonder if BruceB ever got insurance, never heard back from him.
Sorry, I've neglected to keep y'all updated.

At this time we still don't have insurance, but we do have some options to be considered.

Country Insurance carries our homeowner policy, and they are willing to insure the deuce IF we transfer our six other vehicles to their company's coverage. Right now this is our fall-back option if others don't pan out.

Once the isurance is in place it will be time to go jousting with the DMV.

The truck is here, having been trucked north from Phoenix about ten days ago. It's great! I've been tooling it around through the weeds on our five-acre "spread", and getting eager to put it on the road.

This is going to be fun.

B

Dave08

Tow4

Thanks!!!!! The form number is HSMV 83045 for Florida MV Registration. The next problem is Insurance. You mentioned Gulfway but I can't find anything in the Google Search for them. Do you have any additional information? If they insure MVs then they should give you a finders fee!

Thanks,
Dave08

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dave08

USAFSS-ColdWarrior & Tow4

Thanks a bunch. Just sent my initial application form off to Gulfway for a quote. I will keep everyone informed as to the price for insurance here in Florida. Once I have the insurance then I can send for my permanent antique license plates.

Finally, with all you guys help, I am getting through some of this red tape! Semper Fi!
Dave08:beer:

Oros35

Gulfway quoted me about double the cost of Haggerty, although total is still only $100/year.

I already had a haggerty policy for a car of mine. Adding the M35 I just picked up was easy. So far no questions. I also do have a garage that it will fit in, but they never verified that just asked the question.

Dave08

Just got my insurance forms filled out for both my MVs. The total cost from Gulfway was $470 for both trucks. No fuss, no Muss and no garage requirement. Thanks Tow4 for the assistance with the insurance and tags. Once I get the insurance card then I will be able to mail off for my plates. I am almost there and my neighbors that like to turn me into code enforcement can get off my back until the next issue.
:beer:
Dave08

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks