• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave08

While all of this has been going on I have been working with my regular insurer and to their credit they are attempting to help.

They just called me with a question that knocked me for a loop. It has not been covered in any of the zillions of forum threads on insurance. I even googled it and came up dry.

Their underwriter would like to know:

<drum roll>

How much did the M35A2 cost the government when new?

I kid you not.

Does anyone know?
Did you get the Deuce from GL? If you did then at the bottom of the page that shows the details of the auction, it shows the value of the vehicle. If you did not then I would have to give you a generic price. The GL listing at the bottom has a column entitled "Acquisition Value" which is what the government paid for the vehicle. For instance a 1971 AM General Corp, M35A2 w/w, Truck, Cargo, 2 1/2-ton, 6X6, with winch. Powered by a 6 Cylinder Multifuel engine driving through a five speed manual transmission and two speed transfer case has an acquisition value new as$46,750. Since these vehicles are contracted vehicles produced for the government under a specific contract, that is the generic new price per M35A2 Vehicle. I hope that helps.
Dave08

plym49

Did you get the Deuce from GL? If you did then at the bottom of the page that shows the details of the auction, it shows the value of the vehicle. If you did not then I would have to give you a generic price. The GL listing at the bottom has a column entitled "Acquisition Value" which is what the government paid for the vehicle. For instance a 1971 AM General Corp, M35A2 w/w, Truck, Cargo, 2 1/2-ton, 6X6, with winch. Powered by a 6 Cylinder Multifuel engine driving through a five speed manual transmission and two speed transfer case has an acquisition value new as$46,750. Since these vehicles are contracted vehicles produced for the government under a specific contract, that is the generic new price per M35A2 Vehicle. I hope that helps.
Dave08
No, I got my Deuce from a private individual who got it (not sure how) from the PA National Guard. Thanks for the info - your response plus those of the others greatly help.

And yes, it sure seems an odd question to ask. I guess it is an indication that this is uncharted territory for my insurer.

Josh

Rolling, you might still want to call John. He was able to save loads on my civy rigs vs farmers. It can't hurt to give him a call and see what he can do for ya across the board.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without going through all the paperwork, this is what mine was, taken from my lot detail from GLs site:

(71AMG, M35A2, w/w)

Item Manifest
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]FSC: [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]NSN:1[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Units: [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Cond:2[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Acq Value:3[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Description:1[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]1.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]2320[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]2320000771616
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-3]EA[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]H7[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]$41,822.00[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]TRUCK,CARGO [/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]DTID:W81AB580149263A [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Manf: U S ARMY TANK AUTOMOTIVE COMMAND AMSTA-IM-MM U.S [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Part#: 8736581 [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Total:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]$41,822.00[/SIZE][/FONT]

As you can see, the total was $41,822.00 for acquisition.

Last edited:

plym49

Here's where I am so far:

My regular insurer - 500K liability and nothing else - ~$800 a year (they see this as a regular commercial vehicle as if I was running a business)

Hagerty - 500K liability plus their standdard fire/theft/collision stated value - ~ $80/year (limited use, of course)

That is a delta of 10 to 1. Neither is completely 'right'. I am not using this truck 24x7 to run a business (the basis of my regular insurer's underwriting) and the limitations of use from Hagerty are, well, limitations I would have to comply with.

10:1 is too big a gap. I would like something in the $400/yr range for 500K liability and no limitations. I don't care about the comprehensive/collision part of the deal.

To their credit, my regular insurer is running this up the flagpole to see if they can better their deal. Let's see what they come up with.

rolling18

guys thanks for all the help !! i did not think it was going to be this hard to find insurance without lockable storage, pix, and other collector type restrictions..

I FINALLY found a company that would insure me with no restrictions, just like any other "normal " vehicle...here is what i found from a company called Safeco:

VEHICLE COVERAGES AM general Military Transport
Bodily Injury Liability $100,000/$300,000
Property Damage Liability $100,000
Personal Injury Protection Accept Coverage- yes
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist $100,000/$300,000
UM Property Damage $100,000
Comprehensive $500 w/Full Glass
Collision $500
Roadside Assistance Roadside Assistance (heavy vehicle)
Total vehicle premium $201.50 yr.
DISCOUNTS & SAFECO
SAFETY REWARDS Description
Accident Forgiveness After 6 years
PREMIUM SUMMARY Premium
Vehicle Coverages $201.50
Discounts & Safeco Safety Rewards Included
Total policy premium for 12 months $201.50
This quote is provided without cost or obligation

Loco_Hosa

guys thanks for all the help !! i did not think it was going to be this hard to find insurance without lockable storage, pix, and other collector type restrictions..

I FINALLY found a company that would insure me with no restrictions, just like any other "normal " vehicle...here is what i found from a company called Safeco:

VEHICLE COVERAGES AM general Military Transport
Bodily Injury Liability $100,000/$300,000
Property Damage Liability $100,000
Personal Injury Protection Accept Coverage- yes
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist $100,000/$300,000
UM Property Damage $100,000
Comprehensive $500 w/Full Glass
Collision $500
Roadside Assistance Roadside Assistance (heavy vehicle)
Total vehicle premium $201.50 yr.
DISCOUNTS & SAFECO
SAFETY REWARDS Description
Accident Forgiveness After 6 years
PREMIUM SUMMARY Premium
Vehicle Coverages $201.50
Discounts & Safeco Safety Rewards Included
Total policy premium for 12 months $201.50
This quote is provided without cost or obligation
You should post up the rep whom you spoke with and a Phone Number. :)

Dave08

This Insurance issue is a big deal for all of us and we should start trying to keep some sort of record on who provides insurance for our rigs and in/from what states. I think this would help everyone especially new comers to the hobby. maybe it deserves it own forum title room(?)
Dave08

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave08
There is also normally a small yellow sticker on a truck, or anything else for that matter, that came from GL that has the original acquisition cost. Both of my deuces had it on a headlight.

RealCavDog

My call to Gulfway a few hours ago was pleasant, informative and disappointing !

NO daily use, no runs to Lowes or grocery store, NO driving to work and back ! NO farm tags, I intend to run regular plates, so beware, misleading your agent or company could cost you everything you own !

Parades, mud runs, special events are all O.K., but I want the freedom and honesty to go where ever and when ever !

Now to try Geico and State Farm ! Pretty sure $200.00 a year won't be in my future, but if I wanted economy I would buy a Smart Car . . . AS IF ! LOL !

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RCD, you know it does not matter what they tell you on the phone, all that matters is what is in the policy. I have yet to find any restrictions in my policy. I read it earlier this year and nothing. I have my new policy sitting on the kitchen counter, I'll go through it again, maybe I missed it.

Maybe someone should make a sticky.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My call to Gulfway a few hours ago was pleasant, informative and disappointing !

NO daily use, no runs to Lowes or grocery store, NO driving to work and back ! NO farm tags, I intend to run regular plates, so beware, misleading your agent or company could cost you everything you own !

Parades, mud runs, special events are all O.K., but I want the freedom and honesty to go where ever and when ever !

Now to try Geico and State Farm ! Pretty sure $200.00 a year won't be in my future, but if I wanted economy I would buy a Smart Car . . . AS IF ! LOL !
Now that is funny. Gulfway(Travelers) insured mine as a private commercial, no collision, just Liabilty, 100/300/1,000,000, 8000 miles a year, for 507.00 a year. I have regular plates, weighted to 34,000lbs in the state of SC. I had a harder time with the DMV , trying to tell then that it was a private vehicle, and not for hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks