• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insuring a CUCV

testpilot94539

Folks,

I recently tried to insure my M-1009 CUCV here in California through my normal insurance carrier(California State Auto Association) They could not identify the vehicle from the VIN number. From what I can see, there are differences between it and a normal Blazer of that same year (1986) Assuming that they decide NOT to insure the vehicle, does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Are there specialty insurers that will insure a CUCV? All I want is the minimum coverage to start with. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fritz

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only difference between civilian and military is the "D" in the 5th position, instead of a "K". The "D" was a GM designation used for "Military Truck 4x4". Tell them to look it up in a Hollander manual or any owners manual of similar year. The VIN breakdown is right in the front of even civilian owners manuals...

Edit - The other difference is that the "J" code 6.2 was not normally found in a 1/2-ton vehicle.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The free VIN checks on line will show you that it is a military truck with no records available. My insurance USAA had no problems with it and when my son got rear ended GIECO only had a little trouble evaluating it due to the military bumper.

dilvoy

The minimun insurance coverage is the only possible problem that I see. There are too many people faking injuries from even minor collisions in my opinion, to try and save a buck on insurance. Those soft tissue injuries are hard to dissprove, even in court. It's also good to carry one of those disposable cameras, so you can take a foto of the vehicles, before they are moved and of all of the occoupants involved. I have heard of more people showing up later with injuries than were originally in a car. With fotos they at least have to proove where the extra people were during the foto session.

IRWFO

CUCVFAN said:
The only difference between civilian and military is the "D" in the 5th position, instead of a "K". The "D" was a GM designation used for "Military Truck 4x4". Tell them to look it up in a Hollander manual or any owners manual of similar year. The VIN breakdown is right in the front of even civilian owners manuals...

Edit - The other difference is that the "J" code 6.2 was not normally found in a 1/2-ton vehicle.
On mine the third should be a C for Chevy but mines an 8. After insuring mine with Geico I did get a call & then a letter asking me to verify my vin. They said it was so I was getting the best rate :lol: . I just confirmed my vin & haven't heard from them since.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "8" is "Chevy Truck - Multipurpose vehicle", so that's totally normal for the Blazer/Suburban line. I've never seen one (civilian or otherwise) that did not have an "8"...

testpilot94539

Thanks Folks,
We had no problem registering it; just getting it insured with CSAA. They dont recognize the VIN. I think I will take it to the local office. The VIn does have an "8" and the diesel option code is different. I have been insured with these folks since 1978 and never had a claim, and all the older vehicles run with no collision or comprehensive insurance. We'll see what transpires after a visit. If they wont insure it, I'll try someone else.

Jetnoise400

When I bought my M1009, I registered it in CA with no problems (had the SF97, VIN verification from law enforcement, and all the paperwork was in order) and then called my insurance agent (State Farm). They took down my VIN number and other relevant info, didn't even ask me about it and said I was good to go. But the next day they called me back and said their underwriters couldn't match up my VIN number with what their records said a Blazer of that year should have. So they requested a copy of my current CA registration, and that was all they needed.

Hope it goes just as easily for you.

AJMBLAZER

My insurance company (State Farm) and the Michigan DMV had issues at first but nothing that wasn't fixed quickly. The slightly different VIN threw both for a loop but it was figured out. The insurance company figured it out in less than a minute but required me to bring it by to show them it wasn't a deuce and a half or LAV or something.

At the DMV I had to take the vehicle identification book from the guy and show him that in 1986 Chevy did in fact have a 1 ton 4x4 pickup...moron..."it's not in here"...as he points at the page for fullsize vans...

redwolf3

I can say I honestly had zero (0) problems with it in CA. I have State Farm, called up my agent, gave them the VIN number. They said it showed up as a "D10" Blazer on their records. I said "Sort of, its a Military Vehicle". I then had to just explain what "Options" the vehicle had and its approximate value and they insured it no problem. Full Coverage with Comprehensive and everything.

I haven't tried to make a claim on it yet... the only issue I've had was a hit and run (of sorts) where a dually side swiped it parked on the street. They took out my drivers side mirror and left some white smudges on the fender that I painted over and no sign of it. Supposedly it was a big deal because the dually popped its back axle off?!?!? I was out of town so I didn't get to see it, but all the contact info. the driver gave me and the police was completely bogus, and for the $20 in repairs, I didn't feel like involving my insurance *lol*.

JAD561

I had some problems insuring my m1009 last week with state farm. They could not find the vin in the system. The underwriter told my agent to do an override in the system to get me id cards so i could register it in ny. Dmv was no problem. I'm not so sure that all is ok with state farm. My policy has yet to be issued, although the vehicle is now registered in new york.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks