• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insuring a Maryland Deuce...

stumps

Hi Gang!

I'm still searching for insurance in Maryland. I keep hearing about these wonderful unlimited policies that other folks are getting for $200-300 per year, and wondering why I can't even get into the ball park.

Here is what I have found so far for Maryland:

Gulfway - $189/year, shows and meets only. Can't haul stuff. Can haul antique tractors, can tow a listed trailer for an additional premium.
Haggerty - about $100/year, shows and meets only. Can't haul stuff. Can't tow stuff. Vehicle must be kept in a locked garage.
State Farm - $840/year, full coverage, no restrictions.
State Farm - $200/year historic. Shows and meets only, Can't haul stuff, no towing
Allstate - nothing over 2 axles, nothing over 10,000 empty weight.
Victoria - won't write a policy.
Progressive - won't write a policy.

My local State Farm agent said that it is possible that some other State Farm agents have a special deal with their underwriters that her underwriter isn't giving her. She suggested that I get into contact with the agents writing those deals and find out the details.

So Maryland guys with deuces, will you please tell us about your insurance deals, and who your agents are? ... Particularly State Farm policies.

I want one of those unlimited commercial policies on my deuce for $300/year.

Thanks!

-Chuck

SasquatchSanta

Stumps wrote:

I'm still searching for insurance in Maryland. I keep hearing about these wonderful unlimited policies that other folks are getting for $200-300 per year, and wondering why I can't even get into the ball park.
Me thinks the people that think they have unlimited policies @ $200 - 300 per year will be in for a rude awakening if they ever get into an accident. These rates sound like "Collector" policies and they are highly restrictive.

powerhouseduece

Hi Gang!

Personally I can tell you that depends on age/ driving record. When I got my frist deuce I had geico and I was paying $330 a month. I told them what the truck was. "A 13000 lbs. Military truck." But with that $330 it was also full coverage on my 2000 ford ranger and my deuce. It also dont help when your 21 years old with 2 points on my Driving record.

nhdiesel

I just posted this on the other insurance thread, but it might fit here better:

I just signed up with Concord Group (NH company through my local agent). I told her it was a MV, gross weight 18k lbs, no limits to my personal policy. When I told her the weight she put me on hold while she checked with her superiors (told her some companies have problems with heavier vehicles), she came back and said no problem, its all set. $190/yr. for liability added onto our personal vehicle policy.

I told her it was going to be used as a farm truck (up here that means road-worthy, hauling materials for personal use) and it still came up as $190. No collector limits, mileage limits, etc.

One thing that I think helps keep our cost down is that N.H. doesn't REQUIRE any insurance. They know if its too expensive, people will take a chance without it. My motorcycle is around $300/yr. full coverage. Our policy the Deuce got added to has my wife;s Durango on it already, which is still insured for liability but used for work (need to change that, will save some money) and carrying passengers (she used to have to take co-workers to meetings out of town), and between the Deuce and Durango its around $700/yr. total.

Jim

stumps

Personally I can tell you that depends on age/ driving record. When I got my frist deuce I had geico and I was paying $330 a month. I told them what the truck was. "A 13000 lbs. Military truck." But with that $330 it was also full coverage on my 2000 ford ranger and my deuce. It also dont help when your 21 years old with 2 points on my Driving record.
I'm an old fart with a perfect driving record (Knock wood!), so that doesn't apply. But does geico really insure deuces? I have heard otherwise. I guess I had better give them a call.... $330 a month! I'll turn my deuce into a flower pot first!

-Chuck

stumps

I just posted this on the other insurance thread, but it might fit here better:

I just signed up with Concord Group (NH company through my local agent). I told her it was a MV, gross weight 18k lbs, no limits to my personal policy. When I told her the weight she put me on hold while she checked with her superiors (told her some companies have problems with heavier vehicles), she came back and said no problem, its all set. $190/yr. for liability added onto our personal vehicle policy.
Jim
Sadly, I already know that everybody everywhere, but Maryland, can insure their deuces, with full commercial policies, for $200-300/year. But other than making me jealous, that doesn't help me very much.

I appreciate your input, but I really need to hear from Maryland deuce drivers.

I need the details: company, agent, what the policy covers, and price.

I believe that I am going to find that the only $150 to $300 policies that exist in Maryland are collector's policies, and with them your truck isn't allowed to be a truck, only a paper dragon.

-Chuck

powerhouseduece

I'm an old fart with a perfect driving record (Knock wood!), so that doesn't apply. But does geico really insure deuces? I have heard otherwise. I guess I had better give them a call.... $330 a month! I'll turn my deuce into a flower pot first!

-Chuck

Well.. here was the deal, they dident ask me how many axles it had, just the weight and what I was going to use it for. I told them for shows and for a nice sunny day drive through the park. they dident ask for pics, they just said we will cover it. Other people have not had such luck. If its not too far of a run, I got a warehouse you could pull your truck in and snap some pics of it. It might help with the Insurance price.

stumps

Well.. here was the deal, they dident ask me how many axles it had, just the weight and what I was going to use it for. I told them for shows and for a nice sunny day drive through the park. they dident ask for pics, they just said we will cover it. Other people have not had such luck. If its not too far of a run, I got a warehouse you could pull your truck in and snap some pics of it. It might help with the Insurance price.
First, I have to get my deuce in the same state, and that is going to require insurance. Gulfway is my backup plan.

I would strongly suggest that you pull out your policy, and make sure it covers what you think it covers. Check for the maximum weight, and the number of wheels, or axles. Allstate tops out at 10,000 lbs empty weight, and 2 axles.

If you exceed anything on the policy, you are just flushing money down the john. They won't cover you at all.

-Chuck

powerhouseduece

First, I have to get my deuce in the same state, and that is going to require insurance. Gulfway is my backup plan.

I would strongly suggest that you pull out your policy, and make sure it covers what you think it covers. Check for the maximum weight, and the number of wheels, or axles. Allstate tops out at 10,000 lbs empty weight, and 2 axles.

If you exceed anything on the policy, you are just flushing money down the john. They won't cover you at all.

-Chuck

Thats one reason I dont have the deuce or the policy anymore ;-)

That and I sold it!

jmh4x4

I gave up looking for a reasonable every day policy and went with gulfway. (i'm 29, no points, clean record, married) Even though their policy is for parades and show purposes only, I figure that when ever I drive it I'm showing it, and am in a parade as I usally have about 15 vehicles stacked up behind me.

good luck with your quest, living in the free state always complicates such matters.

stumps

Hi Gang,

I am continuing my quest for a decent deuce policy in Maryland. I need a policy for very light personal use, occasional hauling, or towing.

State Farm is the latest that will no longer provide historic/antique policies on the deuce, or any other truck in that weight class. They did at the beginning of this year, but they stopped because their antique/historic group has no way of rating big trucks ( and yet, the commercial group does...).

Here is what I have found thus far for Maryland:

Gulfway - $189/year, shows and meets only. Can't haul stuff. Can haul antique tractors, can tow a listed trailer for an additional premium.
Haggerty - about $100/year, shows and meets only. Can't haul stuff. Can't tow stuff. Vehicle must be kept in a locked garage.
State Farm - $840/year, full coverage commercial, no restrictions, liability only.
State Farm - Will no longer write Historic/Antique policies on heavy trucks.
Allstate - nothing over 2 axles, nothing over 10,000 empty weight.
Victoria - won't write a policy.
Progressive - won't write a policy.

I continue my plea to MD deuce owners. Who is insuring your deuce? How much? What kind of policy? What limitations?

Thanks!

-Chuck

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am with Allstate. I have it tagged as historic.That means no hauling or doing commercial stuff and that is an MVA rule being that it is historic. I pay 180.00 a year with full coverage including collision. I tell then the year, fuel type, wt, and its use. The need to know nothing else being that its historic. I have a 5 ton that they will insure as well as a wrecker. Its because they are for historic purposes and not commercial. I have currently have tags on 3.

stumps

I am with Allstate. I have it tagged as historic.That means no hauling or doing commercial stuff and that is an MVA rule being that it is historic. I pay 180.00 a year with full coverage including collision. I tell then the year, fuel type, wt, and its use. The need to know nothing else being that its historic. I have a 5 ton that they will insure as well as a wrecker. Its because they are for historic purposes and not commercial. I have currently have tags on 3.
I'm waiting on a call from my Allstate agent. My personal auto, and historic auto policies both exclude anything over 10,000 GVW, and anything that is not 4 wheel. I think the 4 wheel bit is just sloppy language that is there to exclude motorcycles, and tricycles. But technically, it excludes dualie pickup trucks, deuces, and the historic truck I currently have insured.

I'll report back this afternoon.

-Chuck

stumps

I'm waiting on a call from my Allstate agent. My personal auto, and historic auto policies both exclude anything over 10,000 GVW, and anything that is not 4 wheel. I think the 4 wheel bit is just sloppy language that is there to exclude motorcycles, and tricycles. But technically, it excludes dualie pickup trucks, deuces, and the historic truck I currently have insured.

I'll report back this afternoon.

-Chuck
Ok, my agent got back. He says no way will Allstate insure a vehicle that heavy on a historic policy, or a personal policy. Commercial, yes, but prepare to pay the commercial rates... $450/6months.

He gave me the name and number of a broker that he works with, and said she would find me something. She found me a Progressive policy for $141/6months on the internet site. I told her to double check, so she called Progressive. They said they will not insure an M35A2.

I am down to the collectors policy companies like Gulfway, Haggerty, and such.

If you have a cheap Allstate policy covering your deuce in MD, you would be wise to read it. I'll bet you it says that your vehicle must be under 10,000lbs GVW.

-Chuck

stumps

If you have a cheap Allstate policy covering your deuce in MD, you would be wise to read it. I'll bet you it says that your vehicle must be under 10,000lbs GVW.

-Chuck
Or, Allstate isn't actually insuring it, but has passed it on to Haggerty.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks