• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intercom in a deuce. CAN YOU HERE ME NOW

sermis

OK, when it comes to radio stuff I am illiterate. I have been collecting some parts I think I need. Will they work? What else do I need to make an intercom for at least 3 people to talk to each other?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Daggum Sermis, nice collection. You will need one AM-1780 amp, 3 C-2298 or C-10456 boxes, 1 CX -4720 power cable, 3 CX-4723 cables, and 3 sets of headsets H-161 or the like. Going off memory, haven't fooled with the stuff in some time.

sermis

Re: RE: Intercom in a deuce. CAN YOU HERE ME NOW

Recovry4x4 said:
Daggum Sermis, nice collection. You will need one AM-1780 amp, 3 C-2298 or C-10456 boxes, 1 CX -4720 power cable, 3 CX-4723 cables, and 3 sets of headsets H-161 or the like. Going off memory, haven't fooled with the stuff in some time.
A what, and a what, and a what?
Have any pic's maybe?
I see lots of parts but have no idea what I need to look for.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going for a VIC-1 or a VIC-3 system? The LS-671's wont do you any good with the VIC-1 system. The GRA-39's wont help much either..

sermis

Really, I do not have any idea what I am doing here. It I can use any of the parts I have I will use them and then trade off the rest for other parts I need.

I want an intercom headset for me and the kids to make it a little more enjoyable on trips. Later on I might see about adding a radio to talk to others.

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AM1780

The best thing to do would be to get a VIC 1 manual and go from there.You have a miss match of radio gear in the pics.To start you need a working AM-1780 amplifier with power cable.From there you cable out with CX4723 cables to control boxes mounted at each station.From the control boxes you can attach a headset,I recomend the H-161.It has a built in boom mike as well as a chest harness with a switch mounted on it.Very handy when driving so your not looking for a mike.I still have some NOS cables and a few manuals and maybe a control box or two.Let me know if I can help.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the 2 plastic speakers at the top of the 1st picture They are LS-671's. The 2nd pic, the phone looking thing is a TA-312 field phone.
2nd pic, the 2 almost identical looking things are GRA-39's, use for wire integration of a radio system.

All of the above isnt part of the VIC-1 system. Sell them off, you wont need them.

MilitaryRestoration

even though it's not military authentic, I use a Softcomm system and love it. I bought two c-40-20 stereo headsets and then a softcomm splitter box, up to four headsets. You not only can talk to each other of course but it's got built in squelch, can hook mp3 player to it, cell phone, etc. Works great not to mention makes those long trips with a m35a2 whistler, a little easier on the ears. that my 2cents on intercom sets... hope helps if not oh well i tried ;-)

nattieleather

I was going to say something simular to what MR said. Only my thing was to get three FRS radios and the matching head set with mic and walla instant intercom... :)

vtdeucedriver

Ditto, friend of mine as a david clark aviation head sets in his with a intercom...................sweet.................Me I have the old fashion 2 c rat cans connected by string!:)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that stuff has model humbers. Just match up with what recovery4x4 said, and you will know what you have, to go towards the system.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are selling some of those parts, I can use a few junction boxes, that TA-312 phone set, and a speaker or two.

ONTOS66

TM 11-5820-401-20-2 is the manual for the VRC-12 family radios WITH intercom. It shows the parts and how they connect. It can be unfortunately is CANNOT be downloaded from LOGSA. I will upload a copy to the Tech Manual section so should be available in a week or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks