• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interest of Buying a MTVR 7 ton. Questions about costs and the process to own one.

pappachuck

I need a large vehicle with off-road capability and this looks relatively new compared to 5 ton trucks.
However need advice about maintenance costs, ownership costs and about the process to own one.

Mustangsud

Not a lot of them out there on surplus. Relative to other MV not a lot of them made. Parts are hit and miss on availability. When I got mine it was missing an alternator belt pulley and bracket, well this particular C12 engine arrangement requires a special order from Cat on the bracket, which took two months. I figured that's why it was missing. I'm finding that some electrical components are small qty, or one-off production for this vehicle and hard to find. I haven't seen anyone post copies or a link to an actual parts manual.

Ours is low miles and low hours, so we haven't had any drivetrain issues yet, so can't speak to that maintenance. There's probably never going to be an abundance of parts for these things like the older 5 tons, therefore, it's going to be more of a hassle to maintain. That's my 2 cents.

pappachuck

Not a lot of them out there on surplus. Relative to other MV not a lot of them made. Parts are hit and miss on availability. When I got mine it was missing an alternator belt pulley and bracket, well this particular C12 engine arrangement requires a special order from Cat on the bracket, which took two months. I figured that's why it was missing. I'm finding that some electrical components are small qty, or one-off production for this vehicle and hard to find. I haven't seen anyone post copies or a link to an actual parts manual.

Ours is low miles and low hours, so we haven't had any drivetrain issues yet, so can't speak to that maintenance. There's probably never going to be an abundance of parts for these things like the older 5 tons, therefore, it's going to be more of a hassle to maintain. That's my 2 cents.
So your advice is to find a 5 ton? My biggest fear is having Drivetrain issues since they are older and have a lot more hours.
I heard it is possible to order parts from OVL.
I would only bid on the trucks that actually can start the engine. But definitely might come with other surprises.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks