• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting delcoremy upgrade sheet for 27mt-28mt

Rvitko

After my last thread on my chernobyled truck electrical system I have been sourcing all my rebuild parts and reading as much as I can on repair and prevention. I found this interesting as it would essentially necessitate the doghead mod for anyone who upgrades to the 28mt. I thought it might be worth bringing attention to this. It doesn't apply in my case as I had 27mt and I own 2 starters I plan to rebuild and I had done the doghead mod.

http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/...REPLACED-WITH-A-28MT-GEAR-REDUCTION-STARTER-1

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
everyone that owns a CUCV needs to read this service/parts bulletin and print it off , this info is VERY important or you can ignore it and watch while your truck burns!

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the point of the service/parts information is that you must know if your switch is heavy enough for the starter you are running , DO NOT ASSUME , it's good to see more members reading this very important thread,

cucvrus

eme411 I agree with your statement. I have never changed any of these starter relays. Or may I say changed the OEM design. I have replaced a few starter relays. I do it when I am doing my initial CUCV in-service. At that time I change/replace everything. If I want a dependable vehicle I start at the top and work my way down. New batteries with the new starter relay have not failed me in over 20 years. I also use both kinds of starters and IMHO the direct drive is a heavier more reliable unit. But side by side it is just that and opinion. How hard and long you crank will put its toll on every part of the starting system. Long cranking is an indication of other issues that need addressed. And fuels systems lead to glow plug issues and then starter and starter relay issues has been my 20 + years CUCV experience. So if you have a CUCV that starts hard hot or cold you are just waiting for other problems to come along. And it gets more expensive to repair the longer you wait. Fix it now or burn it later. Others experience may vary I am not an expert but do have years of dependable service from many CUCV's ALL stock.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my trucks are also all stock , 0 problems , the more you mess with it the more problems will follow and when you try to sell your vehicle do not expect top dollar,