• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting find

littlebob

I was taking apart my passenger seat to to get the frame ready for painting and came across an oily looking envelope that read " Do Not Destroy Important Documents Inside"
I couldn't wait to open it up and see what was in it. I found some type of shipping manifest from March of 1961. I'm going to try to attach a scan and pictures.
littlebob

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is pretty interesting I wonder how many Soldiers sat on that and never knew it was there. Is your truck that old? I know the packing list has not looked that way since I have been in. Also hope I get to meet you on our trip down this month.

littlebob

I think it was amazing that a document shoved in the rear seatback cushion survived longer than I've been around. Since I know it has been through at least one depot rebuild, it probably has nothing to do with my truck. I was born in March of 1964 and the document is dated March of 1961. Wish I was as fit as the document is after all these years.
I think Medlog and DDoyle have dated my Deuce as a 1953 REO from the frame numbers, but I now want to sand the hood better to try and find out more history on the truck. I also want to look harder for a another number o the right side of the frame for more info. The more time I spend on it the more I want to know about it.

littlebob

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I wonder if that's just some sort of document used to do a lateral transfer of the vehicle to another unit etc.? I would not think it is an original delivery document.

This is a fantastic document, you're real lucky!
I've been searching in the cab for relics, too, but all I found was an old haircomb, and a few other small parts....
A nice place to search are the air duct openings in front of the windows, because people like to stick things in there, which can fall in the inside.

acetomatoco

It is a transfer from the Naval Construction Battalion, Davisville RI (big shipping port, now closed.. I went there many years ago when they were auctioning 300 M37s individually in one day...) To the US Property and Fiscal Office State of Ohio, Army Reserve and NG. Probably turned in as excess from an active unit and reassigned to AR for its second life. Nice to see the old method of packing all the accessories in wooden crates and banding them in the back and each one identified, with a total of 170 lbs of goodies. Great document giving you two points of use in the history of your truck... I would assume that the shipping was by rail at that time.

MILRET45

The Davisville stamp caught my attention. While the Navy is long gone the port is not closed. It's now a major civilian port of entry for auto RO-RO ships delivering to the upper northeast. A number of the old Navy buildings have been converted for auto processing.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's frame-able! Especially if you ever decide to "show" your truck. Very cool.

There's an Ohio Army National Guard unit out in Newark. I've been there a few times. It's a "Maintenance Company."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks