• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting REB shifter

rdixiemiller

I found an old M35 with a dump body (not military) in a buddies junkyard. It is a really ragged old gasser, that had been converted with a REB kit by Memphis Equipment in the late '60's. The truck is basically gone, except for the axles and transfer case.
Here is what is interesting: The transfer case is shifted with an air valve and an old air 2 speed pancake! There is a bracket that holds the pancake onto the transfer case, and a return spring around the shift shaft. Pull the air valve, and the pancake is actuated to shift into all wheel drive. Release the air, and the spring shifts it back out.

This would be a neat way to do a sprag case and not have to add another shift lever. You could use the factory front axle selector, and an air cylinder on the transfer case. An air cylinder would probably run $50-$75 from McMaster Carr, or you could scrounge one. You could also use a spring brake pancake off a semi and do the same thing.

Next time I am by there, I'll get a picture or 2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks