• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting...

alphadeltaromeo

I was doing a google search for a HIAB just like Bjorn's. It was my intention to do a little research to gain understanding of different options, etc. The first listing on the google search gave me a chuckle. I've included an image below:

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Gotta love it! Question...when you decided to transfer the crane over...how did you do it? Did you use the crane to lift itself on ... ok ... lol but how did you get it on? What is the capacity of it?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steamynachos got one on his 5-ton.

Transferring the crane from one truck to another is a one-man job.

1) Extend boom over bed of truck until it touches ground
2) Un-bolt mounting
3) Raise crane on its outriggers. Putting timbers under the outriggers help getting it higher. This will make a tripod out of it.
4) Disconnect hydraulic lines.
5) Drive truck out , leaving crane standing on the ground
6) Move hydraulics to truck #2 (recipient of crane)
7) Back truck #2 under crane
8) Connect hydraulics and lower crane onto truck #2.
9) Mount crane.

I have pictures somewhere.

Attachments

JDToumanian

What bed is on that 5-ton? Is that a deuce bed? I like it...

As for the Google search results, I have a funny story about that... I was looking for the correct color of yellow paint to paint bridge plates a while ago, and I posted my question here on SS late at night. The next morning I had not yet received a reply to my post, so I Googled �yellow bridge plate�, and my question that I posted the night before was the first hit!

Google is fast!

Regards,
Jon

Steamynachos

My truck came from the army this way it was in an armoured regt. it looks like when they mounted the crane 5ton Hiab model#550/3 they cut the box down and made it custom fit the truck but it has the full fold down sides still.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steamy, is there a data plate on the pedestal? If so does it show the TM numbers for the crane? What about the tag on the dash, does it reflect the crane installation?
I have had my HIAB (from a Navy truck) for eleven years and yours is only the second one I have seen as mounted on an Army vehicle during that period of time. I'm not including the HEMTT ones.

Thanks,

Steamynachos

Hi Crane what the Canadian army did was as the trucks rolled off the assembly line' someone in the army came up with the idea of adding a hiab for doing light hauling and maint. work
so the truck came from AM GENERAL as an M813A1 so that is what the data plates say. The crane was mounted after the truck made it to the unit so the truck was modefied to mount it and move the front of the box back to make room. Iit was not renamed it was just a 5ton with a Hiab. From what I am told is there were only 3 trucks per unit with a Hiab on them. As for the Hiab it was just a civi crane put on a army truck there are army Tm's for the Hiab but they are all Canadian Tm's so they are hard to find there are not many out there but I have a parts break down and a truck mod. booklet.