• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior Dome Lights

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got tired of groping around in the dark in Bessie's cab and had been contemplating various solutions for interior lighting. I also felt it was important to have a blackout lighting option and also have any solution be EMP-proof. The answer? M113 dome lights, which are widely available as new old stock (NOS).

Once I got the units (I wanted two), the first thing I noticed was that they do not flush mount but instead require a recessed opening. The second thing I noticed was that the cab ceiling has no convenient mounting locations. Plus, since I got two of them, I wanted them pretty much directly over head for the driver and codriver seats.

A custom bracket is called for, which I fabricated from 1/8" aluminum. It attaches from the hatch opening support to the gusset over the door opening. Oh, and they are at different heights so a 3/8" offset is needed.

Pix follow. If you want to know where I got my lights then send me a PM.

20170222_224502.jpg20170223_223916.jpg20170225_174759.jpg20170225_175716.jpg20170225_182559.jpg

FloridaAKM

Nice job on the installation. I put those lights in my Deuce for the same reason that you did in the LMTV. Mine are mounted on the seams of the hard top, so it was easier than your aluminum bracket. Since I also have a LMTV, I hope you don't mind me borrowing on your idea.

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job on the installation. I put those lights in my Deuce for the same reason that you did in the LMTV. Mine are mounted on the seams of the hard top, so it was easier than your aluminum bracket. Since I also have a LMTV, I hope you don't mind me borrowing on your idea.
Borrow my idea? Lol, by all means - go for it!! :-D

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding!

I am totally stealing this...

EDIT: Where did you end up running the the power to and from?
Some months ago I installed the digitizer rack assembly, which comes with an auxiliary distribution panel in both 12 and 24 volts. I connected that panel to the respective studs under the breaker panel using 40 amp inline fuses. So I simply connected the lights to one of the 24v locations on that auxiliary panel.

dmetalmiki

Nice looking lamps. More 'military' looking than my cab lights. I use the ceiling lamps out of old double decker buses for my trucks. They do give a nice light though.
The lights in the camper truck are ex F350 ambulance ceiling lights, and have the (very nice(and useful)) Low and High power switching.

Last edited:

SIMXVertigo

Some months ago I installed the digitizer rack assembly, which comes with an auxiliary distribution panel in both 12 and 24 volts. I connected that panel to the respective studs under the breaker panel using 40 amp inline fuses. So I simply connected the lights to one of the 24v locations on that auxiliary panel.
What rack did you use?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of these flexible task lights from a vendor here. It has a strong spring clamp for a mount. I just have it clamped to the panel above the windshield. It is wired up with the roof marking lights, so it comes on whenever it's dark enough to have the lights on. It has a focus adjustment and dimmer. It also switches from white to green. I like using the green on about 1/2 dimmer to keep some ambient light in the cab while driving at night. Seems to work really well.
IMG_3592.jpgIMG_3593.jpg

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What rack did you use?
I'm not aware of more than one style of rack for the LMTV. I obtained mine from a SS vendor whose truck came with one installed, which he removed. Here is a pic of the assembled rack. The black item attached to the rack is the co-drivers headrest, as the rack is meant to be installed behind their seat. Note that the power distribution panel is not yet installed in this photo.

20161022_135105.jpg

SIMXVertigo

I'm not aware of more than one style of rack for the LMTV. I obtained mine from a SS vendor whose truck came with one installed, which he removed. Here is a pic of the assembled rack. The black item attached to the rack is the co-drivers headrest, as the rack is meant to be installed behind their seat. Note that the power distribution panel is not yet installed in this photo.

View attachment 668670
Ohhh, ok. THAT rack. Gotcha. For some reason I was thinking the 'rack' was the power distribution panel. Sorry, it was a long day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks