• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior light ideas.

Jones

Someone is always asking about interior lights for their deuce or five-ton.
What to use, where to mount them, etc.
Here's a light bracket assy. I made for the baby HEMTT and wanted to share the concept/design.
The baby HEMTT's interior light is stuck way up high in the center of the cab's back wall. There it's light shines mostyly on the wind tunnel (radiator air sheet metal) and the back of the driver or passenger's shoulder... everything else is in shadows.

I picked up these nifty interior lights and made this rack to bolt to the roof supports. This set-up locates the interior lights over the driver or passenger's lap so you can actually see maps, manuals, etc. instead of having your head cast a shadow over everything.

So you soft-top guys don't feel left out; a half-round cable clip on each side secured with a wing nut could attach a similar bracket to the rods that run front to rear and support the cloth top (or where-ever you choose to mount your lights).
This way it would be an easy matter to attach or detach your "Light Assy., Interior." when going between top up or top down config.

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very, very nice.[thumbzup]
I assume the grid of holes over the driver's seat is for toggle switches to control the lights and other things.
Who or what are the light fixtures from?

So to make the holes have that lip do you drill a hole then use a dimpling die in a press?

Jones

The series of holes is just for weight reduction. I made a die set that telescopes and has a male and female angle cut into it. The top punch is dropped into a hole made by a 1 5/8" hole saw. It's then set into the bottom die and the two with sheet metal piece captured in between are squeezed in a hydraulic press.

A toggle switch for the driver is in place on his switch panel. The passenger's switch is probably going to end up on the dash next to the glove box. Power to the interior lights is controlled by the main lighting switch on either B/O or Service Drive. The single toggle switch for each side will be wired into the ground leg to complete the circuit regardless of whether the lighting is on Service Drive or B/O..

The light is from a HMMWV winterization kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks