• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittent Charging Issue

TiGWolf

While out having fun in my 923 yesterday, I was bout 70 miles from home when I noticed that it was no longer charging. Good news was I had plenty of juice to make it home several times over. What was strange however, just before I got home it was charging again. I thought at first, the field wire had a bad connection. So I messed with the plug a bit. With the engine running, I could hear the alternator load when it was connected (really good hearing), and verified with meter. While I left the truck on high idle for a little to top off the batteries, it stopped charging, and started again several times. At first I thought the gauge was playing tricks with me, but I have the feeling the alternator is on it's way out. I've never had one that would work intermittently, either they work or don't. Since I was already fishing for answers, I load tested all 4 batteries, and all indicated they were in great shape.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I order a new alternator?

Danl

Danl M915A1

You might Have A dead Short . your main cable might be cutting into The frame someplace If you have new Batterys they are Smaller, and can move in the box And could move the Battery cable to shafe were it exit the battery box check that out .

KsM715

A dead short would mean lots of sparks and smoke. New (load tested to be good) batteries are not neccesarily smaller, he may have new 6tl's or new hawkers in there.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I seen this happen befor no sparks jest Heat, and Melted the ground strap, once the ground strap Finley melted we found the reason and it was what i told you about, 24 volts can reverse ground, I wiil send in pictures of this,. The Guy that has this truck put a peace of garden hose over the cable, I gest he's low on cash at the moment,

TiGWolf

I found a starter / alternator repair shop, and the guy there determined it's definitely the regulator. He's having trouble finding parts, so I may be forced to buying one anyways. He also noted that under the cover for the positive wire, was melted. May want to check yours!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks