• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittent Steering problems

JohnFire

I need a little help. I am having some intermittent steering problems with my 1986 M1009. Would be easier to track if it was consistent. Every now and then while driving if feels as I am losing power steering. Steering gets sluggish, and often won't return to center while moving. Often it also starts pulling to the right. I have checked the belt and can find no problems there. I have also added power steering conditioner with no change in occurance. I also have checked to see if anything is loose and I can't seem to find anything. I also just had the truck checked for alignment before I left PA and the roads here in Missouri are far smoother than ours back in PA. So I doubt it is out of alignment. I am out of ideas other than finding potholes to make the truck feel more at home.

CCATLETT1984

when it does this, do you hear a whining noise?

check the level and color of the power steering fluid. also are your brakes acting funny at all? (the brakes on these trucks run from the PS pump, so that will help narrow the issue down.)

if no problems found, its probably the steering box itself.

JohnFire

The brakes only made a whinning noise during one part of my trip out here to Missouri. About 150-200 miles of it. They also did act a little funny during that point. But they haven't made any noises or acted odd since then, just the steering messing up.

acetomatoco

Probably the power steering pump.. Have you checked the fluid in the reservoir? Hey JohnFire... do you know Zero Davidson at 9th and Grant there in Pottsville..?? He is an old friend of mine and has 40 plus years of MV and Ordnance experience..

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

That sounds like an early symptom of the Hydraboost failing. Specially if turning one way is harder than the other. Mine did the same thing and there was also steering fluid dripping down behind the brake pedal.

CCATLETT1984

the steering fluid leaking by the brake pedal would be the hydroboost correct, and this may cause some steering issues simply because of the pressure drop due to the leak, but thats more of a byproduct of the braking issue. since the problem is intermittent, it could be something blocking a line causing a pressure drop or spike.

when it happens does it always occur while steering left or right? or does it occur either way?

when its not giving you any issues, is there play in the steering wheel?
there should be about 1/2" to 1" of play side to side without the truck steering either way.

acetomatoco

If it is whining, the noise is coming from the pump, whether or not the problem is with the pump as these trucks do not have the electric booster for the hydraboost like the larger GM POS.

JohnFire

Ok here is an update. I have checked the fluid level and it is good. Today while driving home, I was having to keep the steering wheel at about 5 degrees to the left to keep it going straight from it pulling to the right. Then all of a sudden it jumped and went left cause the steering pull went away. Again this comes and goes. I am really starting to doubt the pump and am thinking more towards the steering box but would like more experienced views on this before I goto a shop to have work done on it. Thanks again

JohnFire,
The symptoms you are describing sound a bit like the problems I had when my drag link and tie rod ends needed replacing. I'd recheck all those, including the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering box. If all those are tight, I'd suspect the steering box.

CCATLETT1984

i agree, get the front of the truck off the ground (support the front axle with two jackstands) and check for any play in the steering linkage, also have a buddy look to see if the steering box is pulling from the frame at all.

If everything looks good. get a new box from the local parts store. its not a hard thing to swap out.

JohnFire

downside I am working out in Missouri 1000k from the house and am lacking most tools needed. Was hoping to keep the downtime and cost down at a shop if it was possible. If at best was hoping to be able to do a parking lot parts swap :D . Nothing seemed loose when it had the right tie rod end replaced and alignment done with some u joints and stuff 2 months ago.

CCATLETT1984

then it still points to the steering box. one thing you could try is to back off the adjustment screw on the steering box some, this will actually loosen the inards of the box some. maybe your box is binding. there is a nut with a flat for a screwdriver on the top of the box. you loosen the nut, then to loosen the box turn counter clockwise (to the left) only loosen it a 1/4 turn or so, then tighten that nut back down. let us know if that solves the issue. if not i reccomend that you replace the steering box. that job can be done in a parking lot for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks