• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

International with 5 ton axles and transfer case

Larry Weibert

Looking for input

Hi guys. I picked up a nice southern 05 int cab and chassis. It has a DT 466 with a Allison 5 spd automatic air brakes. Its like 245 HP stock.
My plan was to use 2.5 or 5 ton transfer case and axles under it only 4 wheels not 6. I have donor M35s and m54s. trucks.

Q I am not sure which is more suited for it power wise.

Q is there a better transfer case reasonable out there that's recommended over the donors i mentioned.

Q someone in another post mentioned mrap axles having lockers not sure if they would be good i hear there pricey.

Q i plan on running 385s or 16-20s i have many of both on rims.

Q if i go with axles that have hydo brakes i would have to put a international hydro system in place of the air thats there now.

Any other input or questions i welcome and once i start it ill keep the pic posts coming. If anyone has items that will work and want to sell please bring them up.

Ive wanted to do this for a long time so i have a nice ride with power steering ,a/c etc. I plan on a m105 trailer on the back maybe make it dump or fine something with drop sides as well. open to ideas on that as well.

Thanks in advance guys

pevrs114

I wouldn't give up air brakes at all. If you haven't picked a donor yet, I'd try to find air brake system or one that can easily be adapted to use them. Obviously that'll preclude 2.5T axles and leave you in 5T+ area. The EASIEST would be axles from an M916/17/20.

DT466 is a great motor. '05 will be electronic control, but they're still good engines. Easily in the top 3 midsize (Class 5-6) engines made, in my opinion.

It's also a wet sleeve engine, so rebuilds are a lot cheaper and easier than say a 6BT.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
M916 from the 1st generation have lockers in the rear.

M39 series transfer case has a sprag so you would have to rig up something for that operation on the T138.

T136 Might hold up fine, but you would have issues using 5 ton or larger axles using those smaller yokes and shafts.

Larry Weibert

Thanks for that guys ill start reading about those items.
I am picking up the international in Nashville monday and have it going to Wisconsin to drop the refrigeration unit off the back. Then heading to Buffalo way were i live with the cab and chassis.
Ill abort my donor vehicles use and start looking for those items your speaking of. I remember someone on here had 5 ton axles with lockers and i think they had larger axles shafts as well. Not sure if those were set up for air brakes. I remember seeing alot of axles on iron/gov planet that had air brk and rotor set ups for around 1300 and axle but havent been seeing them anymore. They looked like a 5 ton size at least.
I do see alot of larger transfer cases on iron/gov planet but not sure which ones maybe usable, Ill look into that one you mentioned.

Any other info or item locations welcome. Thankyou Much

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
@74M35A2 had the 5 ton crash truck axles.

Oshkosh 55000 Transfer case is a pretty tough unit. They are on ebay in the $400 range for takeouts, buy 2 and make 1 good one.

Larry Weibert

@74M35A2 had the 5 ton crash truck axles.

Oshkosh 55000 Transfer case is a pretty tough unit. They are on ebay in the $400 range for takeouts, buy 2 and make 1 good one.
Thanks Simp Iam going to call him see if he can get 2 on a pallet. Looks like its hyro or air operated for high low range. It says high is .98 to 1 so i wonder with 588s or the 644 axles were that will put me on the highway with either 385s or 16-20s. not sure but the 5 spd allison i would think would be 1-1 on final.

any thoughts on that.

Hay Wess i just found a thread that you did with that 55000 swap sounds like its a great transfer case. i noticed your thread said it was .98/1 hi and 2.66/1 low range. the guy on ebay says its 2/1 low maybe hes mistaken. anyway your thread answered what the air was for. someone just got back to me on locking diffs so ill ck that out and report back. This is great iam riding shotgun to Nashville to pick up the truck while getting this stuff lined up. SS buddies are the best.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Simp Iam going to call him see if he can get 2 on a pallet. Looks like its hyro or air operated for high low range. It says high is .98 to 1 so i wonder with 588s or the 644 axles were that will put me on the highway with either 385s or 16-20s. not sure but the 5 spd allison i would think would be 1-1 on final.

any thoughts on that.
Jeepers calculations has an rpm calculator.

It can be air or cable shift. Air solenoids are pricey.

916a1 transfer case shifters with cables are on ebay nos for 150

Larry Weibert

Update on the project.
I managed to find some what i believe are 7.5 ton axles with lockers for the project i got them home this weekend. I only plan on using the front steer and rear axle of the three. I have a few pics. i want to find out who has seal kits etc for them not sure what all is the same. The steer axle looks like it needs gone through.

Attachments

Larry Weibert

anyone know what's different on 7 ton axles with the air lockers. i am told the axles shafts are larger. I want to order seals and bearings but can't find much info on them. I have been looking for a few days.
any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

ShakyTruck

anyone know what's different on 7 ton axles with the air lockers. i am told the axles shafts are larger. I want to order seals and bearings but can't find much info on them. I have been looking for a few days.
any help is appreciated.
Bearings are the same, and I would keep the air brakes you just have to cut the rivets out on the air locker axles and they should bolt up. The only thing that needs to be changed so far that I can tell is you will need 1 shorter brake chamber to clear the air locker.

Attachments

ShakyTruck

Shaky truck thanks for that info looks like you found the same ones. what project you planning for those?
Guna put them on my m939. I should of read your post better, m939 brakes will bolt up woth a little work. If your not guna use you power divider any chance I can get a part from it?

Attachments

Last edited:

Larry Weibert

"Shaky Truck ( mike ) and i both have the same issue our middle 7 ton axle with the power divider has a diaphragm housing on the divider thats cracked. Does anyone know were we could get replacement parts for it.

Larry Weibert

"Shaky Truck ( mike ) and i both have the same issue our middle 7 ton axle with the power divider has a diaphragm housing on the divider thats cracked. Does anyone know were we could get replacement parts for it.
Parts needed guys anyone know where to get the power divider diaphragm on the 7 ton Rockwell axles. There like the 5 ton axles but have the air lockers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks