• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interstate Driving Etiquette

ilovemyblazer

Hey guys, Im hoping to be getting my M1008 out of the shop this week. I will be going to Crystal Lake, IL on the 29th of this month to visit family. I would really enjoy taking the 1008 there. It would be my very first out of town trip with it.

Im just wondering about the whole 50-55 top (cruising) speed thing. According to a gear ratio calculator I will be at 2,551RPM at 50MPH, and for fuel mileage reasons I would like to stay around there. I will have my Tiny Tach installed along with a GPS to verify speed.

So if Im doing 50 and the speed limit is 65 which means people are doing 70-75, will I be safe with a slow moving sign on the back (best gift ever from my gf) and my hazard on??

Or should I stay clear of the interstate? What do you guys recommend??

KsM715

SMV signs are supposed to be used only by vehicles that are limited to something like 10-20mph. Generally the law is 40 min on the interstate so you should be fine, however if you are really concerned with your safety you should avoid the intersate all together.

It has been my experience that it doesnot matter what you have on the back of your vehicle, if someone isntpaying attention they wont see you anyways. (how many patrol cars have been hit from behind with the lightbar going full blast, or bright orange highway maint trucks, again with lights blazing, get hit?)

Last edited:

hunderliggur

We took a road trip from Maryland to Ohio and back last month in a M1009 (better gear ratio than a M1008). I did plan the route to take US-50 instead of I-70 for half of the trip. In the hills of West Virginia on the Interstate we just stayed to the right like the rest of the trucks.

Maybe some good corner marking take would be in order, or enjoy the countryside off of the Interstate.

cjcottrill

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but in mine driving in excess of 35mph while displaying a Slow Moving Vehicle sign = a traffic ticket. The hazard flashers should not be on unless you are warnng of a hazard. Anything other than that usually invites a traffic stop to see what you need. The attention is not good. Stay in the right lane, maintain 50-55 and you'll be fine.

chevyCUCV

Or should I stay clear of the interstate? What do you guys recommend??
I recommend driving 60-65. Fuel mileage will not be that much worse. Nothing will break in the engine doing it.
Its safer to go with the flow of traffic, then being a disruption. At least that is how i feel when driving.

RangerBob

Not a problem. Keep right except to pass. Flashers on if you can't maintain the posted minimum (which is usually 40 or 45) while climbing a hill or something.

Later you can get a big boys truck, like a deuce, and explore the manly lower end of the speedometer. :p

Last edited:

ryan77

Stay around 55 max! Im 2 mins from Crystal lake stop by for a beer! People in Illinois drive like jerks when your the toad on the road!!

WARWAG

I recommend driving 60-65. Fuel mileage will not be that much worse. Nothing will break in the engine doing it.
Its safer to go with the flow of traffic, then being a disruption. At least that is how i feel when driving.

Listen to this above and you will soon have a boat anchor for an engine. Go with larger tires and you can go a bit faster. Look at Novak gear calculator to figure your rpm for a given tires size and gear ratio and 1 to 1 final gear ratio in your trans. Im running 34" tall tires vs the 31" stock tires I had before and run 60 or so now. But I sure dont like even doing that for long distances.

Stay in the slow lane (FAR RIGHT LANE). When you start to go up your speed will quickly go down. Hazards on and do your best. I drove 8 hrs with the last four in the mountains. Take lots of rest breaks for your truck and check for leaks. Make sure your belts are in good shape. Good Luck!

jimmy-90

I personally wouldn't go near the interstate with an M1008. I got stopped by a state trooper out here in VA. for going too slow before. I was near the capital beltway on rt.66 doing about 45mph. The posted speed limit that close to Washington DC is only 50 mph even though the norm is about 65-70 at night after the traffic lets up. Anyhow the trooper said that I was supposed to have the four way flashers on to drive at that speed and was extremely nasty about everything. I was driving my civi blazer at the time and it was leaking trans fluid and acting slippy otherwise I would have been going faster than the posted limit and would have been fine like any other night on my way home from work. I have an amber rotator beacon on my M1028 just incase I have to get on a road with a speed limit higher than 55 mph and if I do end up on a 65 mph road I usually get off of it ASAP.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been doing that for a few year now with no problems. The maintenance on my M1008 is good and I don't plan to stop. Lately 60 seems a good speed. I even get to pass sometimes.
Same experience here. No fear of the highway and 55-60 works well. 70 is just over the horizon once the 700 goes in.

zout

Anyone else here remember when the Interstate Road System was getting Built ???? Your OP just kicked in a vision of yrs ago.

I remember them broadcasting on telivision training information on HOW to drive on the upcoming road system and the etiquette that was to be used properly. Now they are treated like state highways and normal roads.

Sorry for the interuption to your thread and in no means wanting to hijack it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks