• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interstate Driving Etiquette

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multi-Lane Highway Slower Vehicle Procedures

It's a very 'dynamic' question because of all the variables . You started a great thread and it would be interesting to hear stories from the Slow Moving Vehicle Highway Veterans about the bad things that can happen when Slow meets Fast. Everybody's input on how to 'avoid disaster', what they watch for/where they look, or 'highway skills' they've developed, is really valuable. So what would everybody do when you're screwing up traffic on the interstate? What's your Driver Attitude, Driver?

Things have changed, it's 80mph on parts of the I-15 through Montana. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is so important but reacting to the situations as you are passed by vehicles going 30mph faster then you, is even more important. I tried the math, I think it's 44 feet every second.....and I need 23 seconds to avoid some idiot sending a text message.

There are so many potential situations and so many variables to consider simply telling New Private MV drivers to 'be a good driver', just isn't enough. It's only my opinion and some may share it but it's important to me that everyone I could have an impact on, also gets home safe. Traffic volumes, merge lanes, weather, Road Conditions, heavy trucks, Grannies, A-holes, Textheadons, Personal Awareness, Mind-set and so many other things dictate a safe journey. Simply deciding to adjust your speed to find an 'open area' away from other traffic can help avoid an incident.

A few of the things I teach folks that drive my gear, slow or fast, anywhere:

Ensure all Vehicle Preparedness and Maintenance is Satisfactory.

Emergency Preparedness: First Aid, Fire Ext, Flares, Accident Procedures, Mechanical Self Assistance, Communication Availability, Know your location, Ins. and Reg documents.

[FONT=&quot]Refresher points and review for drivers:

* School zone safety, driver behavior when kids may be present.
* What to do when passing a police car with lights on while on a one, two or three lane highway, (no guessing.) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]* What to do when an emergency vehicle is behind you while on a one, two, three lane arterial or while stopped in traffic. (use "red light pull right" rule)
* Distance between the vehicle in front of you and your vehicle, while traveling at various speeds ( facts on stopping distances as vehicle weight increases)
* As a pedestrian, what can I do to help drivers get me across the street safely.
* As a driver, how can I get the pedestrian across the street safely. ( change lanes so others can see ped....stop back from the ped so other drivers can see them...arm out the window...etc)
* How a traffic circle works.
* How not to block an intersection or driveway. (stopping at green light when traffic is stopped on other side of intersection) rules on blocking an alley or driveway
* How to merge onto a highway or freeway.
* How to allow other drivers to merge onto a highway or freeway.
* What lane should I be in. ( If everyone kept right except to pass then emergency vehicles would have an easier time getting by, right lane is easier to pull off of if you have vehicle problem )
* When being pulled over by a police officer, how to find a safe place for you and the officer to park
* What an officer would like to see when approaching your vehicle (after you've been an idiot ) , hand placement, window height, vehicle gear selection
* What behavior can the public exhibit to make the officers job easier. ( how to speak to an officer, admitting fault, apologizing for incident, accepting a ticket with grace )
* How the officer directs the public if they have a dispute with the ticket. ( public expectations on interacting with a police officer )
* How to dispute a ticket through the courts
* Current fines status. How much does it cost to speed etc. ( following too close, red light, lose load etc.)
* How fast can you go ( Is 10% over the speed limit too much if ....eg. allow someone to merge safely, getting past a truck? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]* What to do when involved in an accident on a highway or in the city ( accident procedure, moving vehicles to safe place information exchange, traffic/ personal safety, how and what to report to a police station )
* Accident avoidance techniques (safe driving techniques in winter and summer ) vehicle placement, observance techniques, vehicle handling, traffic/ time avoidance
* Driver behavior in construction zones
* Staging your car when making a left hand turn......so you can see.
* What to do when you can't see when making a left turn
* Avoiding left turns
* Four way stops, how to delay your stop so the other driver clearly gets to the stop sign before you...and goes first
* When at an intersection and turning left, can more than one car really enter the intersection ( no guessing....) ( Best scenario for emergency vehicles )
* What to do when in a funeral procession
* What to do when a funeral procession is around you
* What the white / yellow lines on the road mean (passing when solid line in your lane, double dotted line, can you cross a single solid line, can you drive on the shoulder to allow someone to pass )
* Giving room between you and dangerous drivers or driving situations
* Street racing hazards, how to and where to race
* Motorcycle safety ( where to drive, avoiding hazards, )
* Winter and general weather emergency preparedness ( safety kits, emergency supplies, types of tires, crossing fast or deep water )
* Animal avoidance ( which ones to avoid, emergency car handling techniques, time, location and season of likely hits, )
* What to do when you strike an animal
* Emergency stopping procedures ( where to pull over, how to drive with a flat, warning those behind you )
* What to do if you're lost ( being aware of what's behind you, pulling over )

Good Driving Behaviour Techniques

* Know your vehicle has all the parts and fluids in all the right places
* You never know why the vehicle behind you is in a hurry, move right when safe and let them by. Its the polite thing to do. Stay in the right lane so in an emergency, you're close to a safe area to pull over
* Do not block intersections
* Driving in a 'clear zone' with no or few cars around you while on a highway. Staying out of blind spots
* Driving over or under the speed limit to get to a 'clear zone'
* Mirror observing, be aware of everything behind you and around you....constantly. ( vehicle approach speed calculations)
* Advance signal...advance brake signal, let those behind you know you want to change lanes. A couple of flashes on the signal light gives me more time to adjust my speed and let you in
* When someone really wants to get in your lane, let them. Could be someone's Grandma
* When passing on a two lane highway, allow lots of time to pull back in front. This prevents you from possibly picking up debris and throwing it at grandma
* When being passed, look far ahead on the side of the road, try and keep to the right and allow the driver behind you a clear sight line. Make sure the vehicle passing gets by safe, it could be grandma
* When coming to a red light, driving on the highway or turning onto a road........never do it in front of a big truck.
* If capable and safe, stop and help other drivers if they need it.
* Look left then right at every light and every corner
* Focus on the drive only. ( Hands on the wheel, eyes on the windows and mirrors, feet near the pedals, radio quiet enough so no one has to listen to loud opera music, no distractions, no phones.....ever.....none )
* Foot placement, brake hovering techniques,
* Communicate with your hands. ( a wave, thumbs up, the hang loose sign, peace symbol or salute all mean thank you )[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
With a diverse base of opinions, attitudes and experiences you should get a lot of feedback on Interstate Driving Etiquette. :popcorn:

wayne pick

Yikes

Yikes, spinning 3,316 RPMs (with a 3,600 redline?) seems a little dangerous to me. And I big difference in MPGs,
It is dangerous. You posted a really good thread here kid, too bad it morphed into "Whats te best way to blow up my 6.2" Im also guilty as charged. You seem to have a pretty good grip on the limitations these trucks have. Keep up the good work! pick.

I drove both 1008s and 1009s in the service in the 1980s and they will handle 60-65 mph without breaking anything. You will use more diesel though, especially in the 1008 (pick up) because of the gearing. I used an M1008 with the cargo cover (as below) as my vehicle to pick up supplies for my Reserve unit and the nearest military installation was Fort McCoy, 180 miles away from Milwaukee by freeway. Never had a problem and didn't have to run exclusively in the right hand lane either. I didn't pass many cars, but I could get around the 18 wheelers with no dramas.

If you want to hold your speed down to 50 or 55 mph, that's fine. You'll not impede traffic on the freeway so long as you stay in the right-hand lane. I wouldn't use your emergency flashers though. As the saying goes, they're for emergencies only and running at 50-55 mph on the freeway is not an emergency. Plus you might attract unwanted law enforcement attention. If you find yourself slowing down to 40 mph and below while trying to get up a hill however, it would be wise to put the e-flashers on to warn people behind you that you aren't driving as fast as they are. I've seen semi-trucks use that trick in the Allegheny Mountains of PA and it's a useful safety tip.

Good luck on your first MV road trip. I enjoy driving my M882 and it travels happily on the freeways as on the secondary roads.

Attachments

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M1009 has I believe 3.09 gears? I know they are allot taller than the 4.56 gearing found in the M1008 1010 1028 ect. If you have tall gears like that then you are not even approching the RPM levels we are talking about.
Yep WARWAG - I noticed some of the 09 owners are shy of running faster than an 08.

My 1986 M1009 is happy at 75-85 mph on the interstates and as I said before, it has seen 95 mph (short time though) without feeling it was going to blow up.

On the other hand, my M1008 (which I recently acquired and haven't taken it out on the interstate yet) sounds like it is going to send pistons thru the hood at 60-65 mph...

DieselBob

Hey guys, Im hoping to be getting my M1008 out of the shop this week. I will be going to Crystal Lake, IL on the 29th of this month to visit family. I would really enjoy taking the 1008 there. It would be my very first out of town trip with it.

Im just wondering about the whole 50-55 top (cruising) speed thing. According to a gear ratio calculator I will be at 2,551RPM at 50MPH, and for fuel mileage reasons I would like to stay around there. I will have my Tiny Tach installed along with a GPS to verify speed.

So if Im doing 50 and the speed limit is 65 which means people are doing 70-75, will I be safe with a slow moving sign on the back (best gift ever from my gf) and my hazard on??

Or should I stay clear of the interstate? What do you guys recommend??
I have been wanting to go by a local sign shop and see if they could make this like the "Convoy" signs on a aluminium sheet. I would prefer the military issue delineator panels to stay more original but good luck finding them in decent condition.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I might as well jump in here and offer my 2 cents.

What WARWAG said about the crankshafts in post #38 is true. Also, the harmonic balancer is critical to reducing bearing fatigue at high rpm's. If you are going to cruise along and enjoy the ride, you probably need to travel over there on the "old road". If you want to run 60 - 70 on the interstate, simply INSTALL TALLER TIRES. As you might can imagine, I am a big fan of tall tires. With my 11.00/20 NDT on my M1028, I can cruise at 65 turning 2391 RPM.

Attachments

Keith_J

What WARWAG said about the crankshafts in post #38 is true. Also, the harmonic balancer is critical to reducing bearing fatigue at high rpm's. If you are going to cruise along and enjoy the ride, you probably need to travel over there on the "old road". If you want to run 60 - 70 on the interstate, simply INSTALL TALLER TIRES. As you might can imagine, I am a big fan of tall tires. With my 11.00/20 NDT on my M1028, I can cruise at 65 turning 2391 RPM.

Harmonic damper/balancer (some are both) serves to damp torsional vibration on the front of the crank. Even with two alternators, coolant pump and power steering pump, the front half of the crank is subject to torsional oscillations. Diesel engines are more prone due to much higher compression ratios and diesels always run with full atmospheric pressure in the manifold (no vacuum). Every time a piston is coming up to top dead center, the crankshaft slows down. Every time a cylinder fires, the crankshaft speeds up. This is the forcing function. Since the front of the crankshaft only drives the accessories, the crank now acts as a torsional spring.

Without the damper, the torsional oscillations fatigue the crank. The fatigue crack is easy to tell, it is a helical fracture.

ilovemyblazer

With my 11.00/20 NDT on my M1028, I can cruise at 65 turning 2391 RPM.
Not to change the subject of this thread, but I've seen you're profile picture on here a few times before and have always wondered if you have noticed a reduction in torque with those tall tires? Say pulling something from a dead stop with the tall tires over stock ones? Of course I'm unsure if you have engine mods because that changes things.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not a CUCV or a diesel, my field ambulance with 4.88 gears and 32" tires
Run s the slow lane on the freeway.
60 mph is just shy of 3100 rpm so I try not to exceed 55mph Which is the minumum speed on Michigan freeways.

Basically, stay right, check the mirror every couple seconds & be preparred to hit the shoulder. My 5.9 gasser doesn't have the 'slows down on a hill' issue like a 6.2.
but once you are below the posted minimum speed the 4 ways must be on until you regain the minimum posted speed.

Terracoma

I would prefer the military issue delimiter panels to stay more original but good luck finding them in decent condition.
Minor thread derailment, but relevant to visibility on the highway, so...

The 8"x8" size delineator plates are available (new) from a gentleman on everyone's favorite auction site, the electronic body of water.

penokeevet

I recently had to use a stretch of I-10 in AZ, towing a M1101 from Ft Huacha (?). I used the SMV sign, but when they are traveling at 80 mph or more, they either don't know what the emblem stands for, or don't care - at any rate it wasn't fun and breathed a sigh of relief when we got to Tucson and switched to a 2 lane hiway. Also tow/drive on Highway 87 from Mesa to Payson and 260 from there to I-40, several challenging grades where the Big Boys without diesel engines are crawling at 10-15 mph - all the good drivers have their flashers on. Summary - avoid Interstate if possible, if not stay in the right lane, use flashers when crawling up steep grades.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I am impressed with your tire choice. Got a woody when I saw the picture. If you don't mind me asking what's the lift height you had to have to achieve your goal, also what rims do you have to accommodate the tire.

jimmy-90

I have been wanting to go by a local sign shop and see if they could make this like the "Convoy" signs on a aluminium sheet. I would prefer the military issue delineator panels to stay more original but good luck finding them in decent condition.
I painted something like that on the back of my M1028 back when I converted it to a flat bed body. It's alot easier than you would think. All I used was some two inch blue painters tape and a small angle tool and was able to get the stripeing to turn out perfect like a machine did it. Keep in mind though that the longer you make the stripes the wider they have to be to look right. In my pics that is a four inch wide piece of metal with two inch wide stripes. Also the main reason I painted those stripes on there was to kinda warn people that this is a slower vehicle. If the speed limit is 65 or higher I run the amber rotator light also and get the heck off that road ASAP!

Attachments

Last edited:

gungearz

I drive from the ohare area to oconomowoc, wi every day for work and see plenty of MV's on 94. Just stay in the right lane with no flashers or slow moving vehicle equipment and you will be fine. The interstate minimum is 45 mph and trust me, when those MV's get near the big hill by mooreland rd. They are barely doing 30. So.... Just take it easy and don't over push your motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks