• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intro and seeking info on the XM152

russcal

Hello, y'all!

My name is Russ, I'm 42, I live in Los Angeles, California, and I'm the proud new owner of a U.S. Air Force XM152!

Ive got a few questions I'd like to post to knowlegable group members:

1. What did the Air Force use the XM152's for?
2. Who used them? Bases, commands, or specific units?
3. How would they be marked? (I know this hinges on answers to 1 and 2).

Any info will be helpful and thanx in advance!

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The XM152 panel van version of the M37 was a very low production version of the Canadian M152CDN radio truck. It was used as a mobile shop, radio van, and command vehicle, but I believe only a few were made for the US military. Not sure who really used the XM152 in the USA, markings would depend on the few units that used them.

Here's a pic of the model:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bigbee - those pics are for a standard M43 ambulance. They are common. Look at the B&W pic I posted, note the windows in the top of the body...

From the resource filie:

Maddawg:

According to John Zentmyer's research: (TM9-1840C, IPC Research Department Technical Manual, "The Production Story, 1949-1968, published in July 1987)

"The only configuration that was produced in quantity was a later version procured by the Air Force. This truck was quite similar to the M43 Ambulance, having no side windows and double rear doors. 150 of these vehicles were made. The well-known picture of the XM152 with side windows is of one of the five pilot models. The only production vehicles with side windows were produce in Canada (they also had only one rear door)."

The people who restored the truck I pictured above would not have done it as an Air Force XM152 if they did not have evidence that that is the way it was supposed to have been.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe SECO in Augusta has several dozen of those. (probably about ready for the crusher too). :cry:

If you ever find one with the windows AND DOUBLE back doors, it is one of the first 5 pilot models. Note the double doors visible through the side windows in the archive photo posted by Maddawg. Hndrsnj's photo shows only one rear door and the distinctive Canadian camouflage on the door.

russcal

Hiya, Bigbee, and all!

Bigbee, I have a question for you... the pictures you posted showing the restored XM152, do you know if the rear bench seats were added or in the vehicle when bought? I ask because my truck has signs that it could have had bench seats on both sides: the uprights that bolt to the walls were yanked out leaving marks behind. Also, does anyone know if these uprights are unique to the XM152 or are they from some other vehicle?

Thanx in advance,

Russ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks