• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intro, new here

mx599

Hello everyone,

I have never been in any branch of armed forces but I am looking to get a CUCV pickup and learn about them here. I hope I am still welcome.

I was looking at a low mileage 1031 with thoughts of swapping the utility body for a pickup bed on back...bad idea? Also the ad says Allison 3speed, this was never stock...was it?

I am in the Denver metro area.

thanks!

Matt65

If you wanted a regular bed I would go after a 1008 - They are usually cheaper and easier to find. However if the price is right on what you have mentioned, go for it. Personally I would want to leave the 1031 original.

The trucks came with a TH400 transmission.

mx599

If you wanted a regular bed I would go after a 1008 - They are usually cheaper and easier to find. However if the price is right on what you have mentioned, go for it. Personally I would want to leave the 1031 original.

The trucks came with a TH400 transmission.
Thanks. Yeah, I figure I would keep the body so it could always go back...but really want the pickup. The low miles and lack of rust etc and good price seem well worth it. I was not finding comparable 1008...but I fully acknowledge your point.

I take really good care of my stuff and liked the idea of it being in good shape from the get go.

Makes me skeptical with Allison trans. I hope it is an error in the ad. Waiting to hear from seller.

DieselBob

Welcome to the site and best of luck on your search. Lots of information available here about the quarks of the CUCV and all the different models.

mx599

Can anyone answer some quick questions? I suspect they might be common ones. My goal is mild off roading, possible goose neck pulling, and comfortable 75 cruising. If I turbo the stock engine and go 1 or 2 steps taller gearing and aftermarket transmission...do my goals seem reasonable? I know it is not a good towing engine.

in my searches I came across a DIY kit to put rear springs in front. What is purpose of this? Is DIY a reputable company for quality parts? Also owner claimed increased wheel base with front and rear DIY kits. Common upgrade?

lastly, if you could get any after market transmission for my purposes, is 700r still best? Monster transmissions any good? TCI? Would 700r still be good choice for possible cummins swap in future?

thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
75mph cruising will eat the 6.2Ls lunch. Even with an transmission upgrade. The 4.56 gearing is the issue.

The 700r4 is a good transmission but a 4l80e would be better for your needs. The adapter to install a Cummins to any GM transmission will set you back some serious $$$.

mx599

75mph cruising will eat the 6.2Ls lunch. Even with an transmission upgrade. The 4.56 gearing is the issue.

The 700r4 is a good transmission but a 4l80e would be better for your needs. The adapter to install a Cummins to any GM transmission will set you back some serious $$$.
But there are adapters?
can 4l80e hand decent hp/torque?
do people ever put 5speed autos in?
i understand about low gearing...what if i go to taller gearing?

MarcusOReallyus

can 4l80e hand decent hp/torque?

Hmmm. Monster has 700R4s that are rated up to 1000 HP.

Even their mildest street build is rated for 275 HP, and it's only a bit over a grand. Same price as a no-name reman in stock form.

If you move to the 4l80e, their mild build is rated to 325hp/300tq, and their top of the line is 1,100hp/1,000tq.

Let us know if you figure out a way to stress those with a 6.2! :mrgreen:

And of course, Monster isn't the only company building transmissions like that.