• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing the "Mini Mad Max Camper"- M101a2 with an S250E

M1key

I have always wanted a S-250 to make a camper out of. I ended up getting a S-280 a while ago and used it in my duce and then put it on a dolly(Not very handy to manuver).
So crusing craigslist back in March I found this S-250E (extended) locally so I bought it. (came from a really nice guy from Holy Cross IA first name is Mike he has a few M715s or m37s, if you know him send me a PM I need his contact info)

It needed to be cleaned out a bit. I needed to figure out the wiring it was a mess. The air conditioner was there but not working until I found the power plug was just sandwiched between the outer body and the a/c unit. Plugged it in and it heats and cools great! The florescent lights all now work. Bought a 24v power supply from ebay to power the exhaust blower, emergency light and black out lights. The power panel is now fully functional. There was an hydrogen exhaust port on the drivers side that I feed the RV power cord out of. I left the desk on the right side and the shelves above it.
For sleeping I took 2 litters and cut the handles off and put one across the front. The other is supported via the brackets bolted to the inside of the walls directly above the lower litter. So we have sleeping for the wife and I. Kids have to rough it in a Soldier Crew Tent (SCT).

I've had my tan M101 for 5+ years and only used it a couple times a year. So since it was a lot lighter than my M105 I decided to use it.

This shelter was 49"+/- wide and the fenders on the trailer were 46" inside. So I cut 2" from the inside of each fender and welded it back in place and covered the gap in the floor with some 2" angle iron. It was in need of a 383 CARC paint job so I got out some "surplus" paint and sprayed it.

DSC01652.jpgDSC01650.jpgDSC01662.jpgDSC01671.jpgDSC01672.jpg

Inside of the power in and data out openings are a frame with black aluminum window screen and I cut some lexan for windows. WOW let there be light! Close the covers and it looks original. Added some old canvas for privacy curtains inside.

Had to add a tongue jack to lift it. It was a 5000# lift with the weld on pivot.

We took this camping last weekend and it worked great! We plan to take it up to Iola this year also.

Would like to find a permanent home for the spare tire. Also thinking about adding a deck on the a-frame for a generator.

The bare trailer weighed 1180 lbs (with 120lbs of tongue weight).
The total package weighed 2740 lbs (with 240 lbs tongue weight).
So the shelter unloaded by itself comes in at 1560 lbs.
Towed it with my old '96 S10 Blazer. NO problems.

I am open to ideas/comments.

Thanks for looking just thought I would share.

Mike

M1key

Thanks guys!

Took some interior pics tonight.
(excuse the mess/clutter, still a work in progress)
DSC01676.jpgDSC01675.jpgDSC01674.jpg

M1key

I just couldn't bring myself to remove them or the desk! Thats why we had to make bunk litters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks