• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction and horror story from today

psohuston

Hello all I have been scouring this forum for a while and this is my first post. I am the proud new owner of a 1985 M1009 picked up at R and R wholesale in Lancaster, Ohio picked it up 2 weeks ago. 67k miles and runs great for the most part within the first week I broke the rear window crank and the flywheel decided to let go on me but not to worried about that as it is 25 years old.

But today I had a fun filled event happen. I was heading back from my storage unit and about a mile from a Speedway filling station the water in fuel warning light flickered for a second and then came on steady then a bit of white smoke from the exhaust and she shut off on me. Luckily I was withing coasting distance of the filling station and pulled in after calming my self down by beating my head on the steering wheel a few times my memory of everything I had read about diesels came back. I knew better than to crank the motor over and thankfully I had put an electric pump on last week while I was waiting for my flywheel to come in, So I had that going for me. after a few calls I managed to gather some (red) diesel cans and started draining.

The first thing I noticed was that before I started to hit diesel there was a lot of water coming out of the tank. I estimated a gallon worth (no idea an that only thing I put in the tank was diesel and that was 3 days ago?) once I hit diesel it was not to healthy looking but I thought Id try it and hopefully not waste the ten gallons I had left in the tank. so I hooked the lines back up and bled the air out (cant remember who on here said it but the water bottle on the windshield works great for bleeding) The water in fuel light went out so I gave it a try. A few minutes later I was draining the tank the rest of the way. 12 and a half gallons later she was more or less empty and used my last fuel can to get fresh #2 and cranked and cranked and she sputtered to life and idled as if nothing had happened.

If it had been a newer truck and if not for all I had read on this forum she would still be sitting

Thank you all

PS the guy that has the deuce in Lancaster are you on here?

rod

Good news on getting the problem corrected.

I guess you can get water into any fuel source but do not buy fuel at small places where they do not sell a lot of fuel. I try to only buy from places where they sell a lot of fuel.

You may also want to consider changing out the fuel filter.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't get mixed up with that Kip fool! Has has his own trailer park and everything! Maybe you should come up to Findlay and meet some of the members this weekend.

psohuston

Howdy Kip I see you going up the road in the deuce every once in a while, I shall have one some day. Last time I was in one was at fort campbel I beleive I was 5 or 6.

as for the water laden fuel it makes great weed killer[thumbzup]

Fuel filter change is on the way and a spin on is on the list (as long as I quit breaking stuff)

That tank of fuel was from a small station in Colfax but my neighbors don't care for me too much so I have my suspisions about that too but she still runs so I won't dig into it too much. Gotta get back out to the country were you cant reach out with both arms and touch your house and the neighbors at the same time. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks