• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introductions and trailer ID

tom11919

I've finally registered after anonymously reading the forums here for a while and would like to say "hi". My name's Tom and I recently bought my own little bit of OD steel, an M101A1. Its a little beat up but gets the job done, and that's what counts. I've only really used it a couple of times in the month I've owned it; first was to haul 16 8' crossties (very close to the bumpstops and about all my '92 F150 wanted to handle; did alright as long as I kept it under 35mph), then some supplies for work (couple dozen bundles of stakes and rebar; I'm a land surveyor), and most recently, last weekend to help move myself and my roommates's stuff to our new house (which doesn't allow trailers in the driveway :evil: ). Might be the handiest thing I've ever bought! But I may be selling it already because I'm thinking about buying another trailer. This one appears to be in better shape, but I think it might be a M105. It doesn't look like it has the double parking brakes for the dump and does have the large landing gear with a single steel wheel. Is it worth $400? Even if I don't really have enough truck to pull it?

Attachments

tom11919

You know, the more I think about it, the less I think I ought to buy that other trailer. The only thing I have to pull it with that would make use of its capacity is a '67 F600. And it needs a clutch. The M101 seems to be a good fit with my current truck.

Now if anyone has a serviceable lunette for a M101, let me know; I'd love to do away with the ball hitch on there. :D

cbvet

Welcome Tom!
You're right, these old military trailers are really handy & tough.
If the trailer you're looking at is reasonably close to home, it's probably well worth $400.
Eric
CBVET

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is an M105, designed to be pulled by the 2.5 ton 6x6 trucks (and larger).

It can be pulled by a normal pickup, but is really too much (it weighs 2500 lbs empty). Plus, it has air brakes.

You are better off with the 101.

I think $400 for a 105A1 without racks or cover is a bit high........

tom11919

A T H311. Sandy Springs to be exact. I intend to get out within the year, though. Looking to move to either Idaho or Michigan. I went to the UP for a couple of days back in May and fell in lust with it. Its really beautiful up there and very sparsely populated, but not much in the way of altitude; I mountain bike and enjoy going downhill for extended periods of time. Houghton might be alright. The 25 or so feet of snow they get every year there would be a good excuse to get that M35 I've been thinking about. :twisted: The year before last I spent about a week in the Driggs, Idaho area and had an absolute blast. Jaw dropping scenery, the nicest people, incredible mountain bike trails. Only issue is that everybody else seems to be moving there. Land is just ridiculously expensive most places out west. Seems to be much cheaper in Michigan. I figure I need at least five or six acres to house the workshop and to park all the toys! :p

Mike_Pop

Tom,

Have you ever thought about moving west to Nevada? It's an incredible place to live. I live in Eureka where we are at 6500' in elevation. Plenty of trees, dirt roads, freedom, and open space. People don't care what or how many vehicles you have in your yard and homes are pretty cheap.

MV content: stick with the M101 trailer. If you happen to find an M105 under $200, then it is worth it. $400 should come with racks, bows, and a cover. The M105 is a dime a dozen on the east coast. Besides, it's really too heavy for your pickup truck.

Mike Pop

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks