• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iola Wi show/rally canceled for 2017

nchittendon

Good news/bad news situation.

Just found out that the iola MV show has been canceled. I had to make a choice between that, and the minnesota get together. Well, the choice should be easy now. However, I have already requested off from work for the 2nd week of August for the Iola show. It's a real bear to be able to change days, if at all.

On the other hand, i'll bet this minnesota event will be a little bit bigger now that there isn't ANYTHING else in the midwest.

DavidB

IOLA 2017 Military Vehicle Show CANCELED

I just spoke with Mary of the IOLA office on the phone and they were forced to cancel due to insurance costs for the overall event. So another event gone from this summers fun. Was a great time while it lasted 25 years.

DavidB

CMPPhil

Hi Guys

Just curious what was different that this particular event should have high insurance cost for the event? Have they had claims against the policy in the past, some activity that the insurance company didn't like?

Our club is holding it's 30th rally this summer and insurance has never been a significant cost factor, so I ask is something changing in event/Club liability insurance?

Cheers Phil

dogtags

Hi Guys

Just curious what was different that this particular event should have high insurance cost for the event? Have they had claims against the policy in the past, some activity that the insurance company didn't like?
Our club is holding it's 30th rally this summer and insurance has never been a significant cost factor, so I ask is something changing in event/Club liability insurance?
Cheers Phil
There was a serious accident involving two people (who both had severe injuries) and at least one minor injury (requiring an emergency room visit) as well last year. I am not sure if that was part of the reason or not.

Either way, look at it from the insurance risk side. Pyrotechnics, reenactors, a gun show, live ammunition sales, large vehicles moving with young children right next to them, steam traction engines (one exploded a few years ago killing some spectators), antique farm equipment with few if any guards, camping, alcohol sales.... I'm sure I'm missing other "high-risk" activities that we love but the suits cringe at.

~Robert

nchittendon

Yeah. And the car show lives on.
It's too bad they can't just trim back on some of the more dangerous items. I'm not a tractor guy, so make that it's own show. That hobby needs an outlet too, just not sharing ours.
Same with the re-enacting. It was cool, and my son loved it, but if it's going to kill our one outlet up here in the midwest, then it's an easy decision for myself and my crew.
No offense to either of the other hobbies. But if getting rid of them would keep mine alive, i'm a dog eat dog kind of guy.

dogtags

Yeah. And the car show lives on.
It's too bad they can't just trim back on some of the more dangerous items. I'm not a tractor guy, so make that it's own show. That hobby needs an outlet too, just not sharing ours.
Same with the re-enacting. It was cool, and my son loved it, but if it's going to kill our one outlet up here in the midwest, then it's an easy decision for myself and my crew.
No offense to either of the other hobbies. But if getting rid of them would keep mine alive, i'm a dog eat dog kind of guy.
Without the Reenactors there would be almost no public attendance. Without the public there is even less income from admissions, food sales and the like. Getting rid of reenactors would just prolong the death throws. :(

~Robert

CMPPhil

Hi Robert

Thanks very much for your response helps put the issue in perspective. I was just concerned that that some insurance company had got it in its head that Military Vehicle Shows where inherantly high risk.

We do have big MVs trail rides etc. and in 30 years (knock on wood) never even had a visit to the ER.

Cheers Phil

nchittendon

Without the Reenactors there would be almost no public attendance. Without the public there is even less income from admissions, food sales and the like. Getting rid of reenactors would just prolong the death throws. :(

~Robert
I've only been to the last 4, but as a new observer I just didn't see that. Sure, everyone there basically stops to watch, but I wouldn't say that's the reason they came to begin with. That might just be my inexperience in the event speaking.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Insurance is a major hassle for events. Of all the stuff that presented a potential risk to the insurer at the Ga. Rally (vehicles, offroading, convoy, guns (Dtown has a firing range), etc.) the thing they were worried about the most was the camping.

I thought that was pretty low risk so I asked and they basically said "all it takes is one drunk and an argument and you've got a lot of risk". Luckily, we were able to afford the insurance.

And the lawyers shut down another event same old crap in a new age most would opt to cancel an event than risk being sued for one thing or another.
I don't think the issue here is the lawyers, it's the inability to insure the event.

Gunner USN

Not sure how many of you have heard but, the BoD at the Iola Car & Military Show voted Tuesday. That the 2016 Gun & Military Show was there last show!

Some of the reasons given were the low attendance and cost of the Insurance!

But there has been a ray of bright light in this, a very strong rumor has it. That a group from Wausau, WI area will pick up the torch and put on the show. Same weekend 11 and 12 August (Vehicle Show and Military Swap Meet Only), for the first year. Something more official should be coming forth after Monday!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somehow I suspect if Chet was still alive, the show would go on regardless of insurance cost and anyone who would dare say otherwise would find themselves in the market for new employment.........

nchittendon

Not sure how many of you have heard but, the BoD at the Iola Car & Military Show voted Tuesday. That the 2016 Gun & Military Show was there last show!

Some of the reasons given were the low attendance and cost of the Insurance!

But there has been a ray of bright light in this, a very strong rumor has it. That a group from Wausau, WI area will pick up the torch and put on the show. Same weekend 11 and 12 August (Vehicle Show and Military Swap Meet Only), for the first year. Something more official should be coming forth after Monday!
Nice! Keep us informed. Please. Same weekend would be amazing on my end. Already have the time off request approved and it's terrible to get time off at this stage of the game.

That being said.....

This last year has me playing a role on the recreation side of things at Fort McCoy near Sparta, WI. With the recent turn of events, I was looking for somewhere else for this to land. They have a big, awesome camp ground, and lots of areas that we could utilize for swap meets, etc. The best part of going that route would be helping the troops. Any profit that goes into the MWR benefits the troops and their families. And that's always a good thing.

I have not discussed it with the higher ups as of yet, but since i'm a rookie to the to the Iola show, I wanted to see if the show vets had anything they were pursuing yet.

Thoughts?

dogtags

I have not discussed it with the higher ups as of yet, but since i'm a rookie to the to the Iola show, I wanted to see if the show vets had anything they were pursuing yet.

Thoughts?
Yes, there are other plans in the works. Call me tomorrow and we can talk about them.

~Robert

undysworld

Update here. Looks like the Iola show will move to the grounds of the Motorama Auto Museum at Alfa Heaven in Aniwa. Papers were signed yesterday with the people at Iola. :clinto:

It's a smaller facility, which regrettably does not have room for reenactors, but the vehicle show and swap meets will be there. Only change I've heard is that live ammo is not allowed on the grounds. More info is sure to follow.

Yes things change, but they still find a way to continue. Hopefully this is the beginning of another long tradition.

I'll see you there.

Edit: link here for details: http://www.alfaheaven.com

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the issue here is the lawyers, it's the inability to insure the event.
It's people trying neat legal theories, like you're responsible for the actions of the one drunk at your event. Because he's not able to pay up, but let's sue everyone in sight who may be able to pay.

The need to provide everyone a safe rubber room experience at all times isn't some long standing tradition.

That's the lawyers.

nchittendon

Update here. Looks like the Iola show will move to the grounds of the Motorama Auto Museum at Alfa Heaven in Aniwa. Papers were signed yesterday with the people at Iola. :clinto:

It's a smaller facility, which regrettably does not have room for reenactors, but the vehicle show and swap meets will be there. Only change I've heard is that live ammo is not allowed on the grounds. More info is sure to follow.

Yes things change, but they still find a way to continue. Hopefully this is the beginning of another long tradition.

I'll see you there.

Edit: link here for details: http://www.alfaheaven.com

When I go to the website, it shows the 12th. For a show. For Iola we would show up Thursday and leave sunday. Is this still going to be an option for the new location, or are we going to have to camp somewhere else?

undysworld

When I go to the website, it shows the 12th. For a show. For Iola we would show up Thursday and leave sunday. Is this still going to be an option for the new location, or are we going to have to camp somewhere else?
Good question! Well, being a new event at a relatively new venue, it's hard to say exactly how it'll happen.

But the plan, so far as I've been told, is to have folks arrive on Friday and set up. Saturday will be the official show, including the swap meet, just like at Iola. Sunday people will depart. They will be expanding their current on-site campground for folks who plan to stay over, and daily parking is planned for a nearby field.

They're hoping to have a similar event to the original Iola show, but it obviously won't be exactly the same. Like it or not, recent crowds at Iola have not been as large as in previous years, for any of a number of possible reasons. There's a sizable cost to putting on the show at a place as big as Iola, and for whatever reason they decided not to hold the event there. Without the antique tractor show, nor the reenactors, this will be a smaller event. So even though the Motorama Museum event grounds aren't as big as Iola, it may work out just as well.

There are other reasons to go too. For one, Tom has been a big supporter of our hobby for many years. From selling more surplus vehicles than (perhaps) anyone else in the state, to sponsoring his annual military collector party for years, to passing owner-friendly military vehicle legislation, he's been involved. For another, the museum has a lot of really cool weird old vehicles to look at. If you have never been there, this would be a great time to change that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks