• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iowa : registration/insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikallen

Ok, I have been doing a lot of searching and reading. I wanted to narrow down this question to Iowa Deuce owners. Pending EUC, I will be bringing home a m109.

For Iowa owners.

What was your experience with insurance and registration for your deuce?
Was the gvwr a problem with no cdl?

I got an online quote at Hagarty, but I will not be storing it in a garage. Gulfway says 170 a year, not sure what to think about that for a company. My current vehicles are under Progressive, but I read they will not insure the deuce. I will talk to a State Farm rep near my house. Who are you using, what was your cost?

Thanks

Gastrap

Welcome to the addiction!

I have State Farm for around $3.50/month with all my multi policy & no claim discounts.

By law, you need a chauffeur D2 unless its for farm use. This covers non-commercial straight truck > 16,000 but < 26,001 GVWR. A 5 ton would require a CDL-B ( >26,001 )

I know several people who have a regular class C & never get hassled. I just did the test & got it over with just in case....easy

As far as registration, I bought a 10 ton licence to save some $$ but still be able to haul my tractor. It's $235/year.

rat4spd

I'm registered 11 ton for around $275 or so. You get 10% fudge factor. Insurance is a commercial policy through State Farm for about $35/month.

I have yet to get a Class D.

wikallen

Well, since I plan to use the 109 as basically an RV, I wonder if I can classify it as an RV? Not that the class d is an issue, just trying to make this simple as possible.

Last edited:

Gastrap

Well, since I plan to use the 109 as basically an RV, I wonder if I can classify it as an RV? Not that the class d is an issue, just trying to make this simple as possible.

I checked into the RV classification when I bought my M35-no go for mine.

You would probably pass with the 109 IF you went ahead & added a flushing toilet, running water with tanks, and retained the 120 volt electrical system. The book stated all these must be permanently installed. Can't just throw a bucket in the corner & hang an extension cord on the wall:mrgreen:

wikallen

I checked into the RV classification when I bought my M35-no go for mine.

You would probably pass with the 109 IF you went ahead & added a flushing toilet, running water with tanks, and retained the 120 volt electrical system. The book stated all these must be permanently installed. Can't just throw a bucket in the corner & hang an extension cord on the wall:mrgreen:

I was looking for the book on that, a bummer. I was going to throw in the cook stove, and the porta-pooper and call it good.

Guess it will have to be licensed as is for now, as it will take time to do the full RV treatment

SirFuzzy

I have my M109a3 lisenced as a Class C motor home flex fuel. In Iowa you only need 110 volt power, heat and cooking-refrig all separate from the 24 volt electric system. At you court house you get a form and it gives you 6 or so option and you have to have 3 out of them to qualify.
My registration is 80 dollars a year they don't care about weight. Insurance is thro Wadena Insurance Company it's about 10 dollars a mo.

wikallen

I have my M109a3 lisenced as a Class C motor home flex fuel. In Iowa you only need 110 volt power, heat and cooking-refrig all separate from the 24 volt electric system. At you court house you get a form and it gives you 6 or so option and you have to have 3 out of them to qualify.
My registration is 80 dollars a year they don't care about weight. Insurance is thro Wadena Insurance Company it's about 10 dollars a mo.

Really? Do you know what this form is called? My registration needs to be renewed this month, and $80 is much better then $230.

Status
Not open for further replies.