• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP help

greene1564

I have a 1986 m1009 with the 6.2 and I need alittle bit of help..my first problem was after the engine got to operating temp I had to use a shot of starting fluid to start the truck so after years of this I purchased a rebuilt IP off of ebay and installed it now the truck will start when it is cold idles really ruff like a gasser that has fouled plugs then smoothes out but the whole time white smoke comes out of the exhaust and as it warms up the the smoke is still there but not as bad unles I rev the engine then a burst of white smoke comes out and when it gets to operating temp the truck will not start back up not even with a shot of starting fluid I have to wait for the truck to completely cool off then hit the gp and it fires up and the process starts over again...any help would be appreciated..

Thanks Sam

greene1564

Well I have gotten the ip timed in and all the air out of the system but I have the same problem that I had originally after the truck gets warmed up it will not start back uless I give it a shot of starting fluid I have no idea where to go from here an old gear head at the local auto parts store said that it sounds crazy but he said that some of those diesels would get hooked on starting fluid and the only way to get them off would be a complete rebuild....well I say it is a machine not a living thing and I dont think it can get hooked on anything but what do I know..... any other sugestions would be apreciated and one more thing what is the purpose of the thrust button that goes in the end of the IP that bolts to the gear

mistaken1

The next thing that needs to be checked is minimum cranking speed. The rpm needed to light the fire will vary according to the application, but General Motors says its 6.2L and 6.5L diesels with Stanadyne rotary injection pumps need at least 100 rpm when cold, and 180 rpm when hot.
Could it be slow cranking speed?