• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP Rebuild or not?

detroitmuscle1986

So, when we bought our truck it had 8k miles on it. Currently it has 26k. We are assuming that it has the original IP. The issue is that it has a steady leak coming from the throttle shaft, causing fuel drain back and terrible starting after sitting. To fix this issue, would it be easier to just replace the O-rings on the shaft, or replace the entire pump. Would it be safer to rebuild the entire pump and assume that the other seals are just as dry and cracked?

Keith_J

Rebuild it in place. If it had over 50k, swapping the pump might be warranted. As long as it doesn't have the issue of dying while coasting, it should be fine. It is a 1986 model so the boost pump vanes should be fine.

donalloy1

Opinions are varied. I say drop in a new one and you are good to go for long haul! Picked mine up @ Diamond Diesel Oakland Ca, Very happy with results!2cents

epartsman

A rebuild is the answer mine is currently @ L&J Diesel being rebuilt. Mine shows 26K however could be 126K or 226K. When a speedo acted up the gov just replaced it with a 0 mile speedo so it can be tough to say how many miles it may have on it but that is really not the issue as the age is. A reman by a reputable shop will upgrade it to the latest spec. I was also warned that running WVO and WMO will ruin an IP costing you big$$ as it is no longer a buildable core. Food for thought.