• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP rebuild

dc_cucv

I am ready to have my injector pump rebuilt and am looking for recommendations of shops. I have a DB2 4267 in my truck, so i went the fleabay and got myself a DB2 4267 core for $50. My plan is to send the new core to get rebuilt, then i'll swap mine out and keep it as a spare to have rebuilt down the road as needed.

So far Ive read people have used Oregon Fuel Injection. They're charging about $650.

Has anyone ever used Pensacola Diesel? They are going for $450 there.

I just want it done right, so I would have no issue spending 650 if it meant it was done properly.

87cr250r

I use Diamond Diesel at my job. I was mostly sending them Denso common rail pumps. I never noticed any difference between their reman units and new OEM. They use OEM parts. With that said, I don't know what they charge for a DB2. I think it may be $850. Worth a look. They sold me a seal kit to do my own for $90.

An interesting story, some decade+ ago Diamond Diesel got a bad rep for their pumps failing. They were spinning customer pumps and it contaminated their stand. They won't spin your pump anymore but they learned their lesson.

Last edited:

Keith_J

The core must be rebuildable, meaning the rotor turns freely. It is possible for the drive tang to break if the rotor seizes.
Take the home plate shaped cover off the left side, two screws. You can see the governor basket and a shiny ring with a hole. Through this hole, you can see if the rotor turns. This is also access to the leaf spring screw, the item tightened for more fuel.

As far as Pensacola, there are plenty of unhappy customers. Oregon, Badger, Diesel Care and Performance are the recommended rebuilders.

cucvrus

I second Diesel Care. I have had many injection pumps rebuilt by them for many pieces of equipment and several vehicles. They never left me down. And when I read the reviews the biggest complaints, I read were guys that had jacked up diesels and did alterations to the engine and pump and could not get the performance they desired. No fault of the rebuilder. I see it all the time. People trying to get more out of something that has no more to offer. CUCV's seem to run indefinitely just as they were built. After that it's a crap shoot. Good Luck. J Code intake gasket set. Change the lift pump, fuel filter cartridge, and drop the fuel tank while you are waiting for the rebuilt pump to return. After 35+ years you will be surprised what you find in the fuel system.

Keith_J

If you are storing an injection pump, do not leave diesel in it as diesel with biodiesel will varnish. Rinse and flush with paint thinner with a few ounces of engine fogging oil. Plug and cap all openings, then seal in a heavy bag.

When shipping a rebuildable core, be sure to drain all diesel and solvent from the pump. Removing the side cover (home plate shape with 2 screws) is the easiest. Replace cover, seal in a bag, then wrap in towels and cover with a second bag. Use enough towels to act as packing dunnage so the pump does not move in the box. Packing peanuts are not sufficient. Multiple layers of paper, slit corrugated or PIG oil blankets are good.

Any leaking or oil soaked parcels can be destroyed by the carrier as prohibited goods. At the least, leaks can damage labels. Using plastic documents envelopes is a good idea, Multiple tracking numbers also helps. If reusing packaging, obliterate all prior tracking numbers and addresses.

dc_cucv

Went with Diesel Care in Memphis.
They're going to rebuild my newly acquired $50 ebay core 4267 pump for $340. Not bad.
If that works out well, then I will send them my other 4267 for a rebuild and I'll be set for a good while.

Now to injectors....

Does Eastern Surplus & Equipment sell good stuff? I see they have new old stock injectors for 69, or rebuilds for 59.
For 10 bucks I was thinking of NOS for 69 unless anyone can point out a good reason not to.

hillbilly wizard has them for 78 a pop and when i called he said they are rebuilt locally (in PA).

If you replaced yours, where'd you get them?

Since this project is starting to get expensive, I'll save a few bucks where i can (but try to not cut corners).

87cr250r

I bought new Delphi long bodies for $50 a piece pre COVID. I'm kicking myself for doing it because I had a line nearly chaffed through and replacements are not available for long bodies. I'm also installing a 2004 6.5 engine in the truck so I must convert to short body fuel injector lines.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cannot speak to quality on any of these yet, but from badger diesel the injectors are $145 a set plus core. I’ve seen them recommended on here a few times so for the price savings it’s worth a shot. I’ll be getting some over winter when I change my injectors.

87cr250r

There were 3 injector bodies. Pre-88.5 are long body everything else is short. 1982 had a fine thread injector while all other years used coarse thread. Your CUCV was built as a 1983 model year despite the it's construction year. I think this only matters for the door and vent window parts.

If you buy new injectors and can budget lines I suggest going short body as the long body parts have not been supported for quite some time.

Last edited:

87cr250r

I have a 1986 M1008. I had some trouble sourcing window seals until I found I needed to order for a 1983 or maybe 1984. It's mostly body differences, the vent windows and maybe the radiator support and headlights.

cucvrus

There are some main components of the CUCV that are new for 1984 on all GM C and K series trucks. The steering column smart stalk is new for 1984. 1983 models had the dimmer switch on the floor and the wiper switch was dash mounted. There were some other new features for the 1984 model year C and K series trucks but after 38 years I have forgotten them. I have a 1984 M1009 that was built in July 1983, and it came stock with chrome wing window latches. Everything about the latch is the same except the chrome vs the black on later models. Back on topic. When I changed an injector pump at the dealership, we would send the nozzles out and have them tested along with the pump. Most times I received the nozzles back and they passed the test. They called it a pop test and I have a shop locally that checks them for me. I never replaced a nozzle on a CUCV for any reason other than I had new ones and wanted to change them. I had a few stick and tap but I could never find the one that was making the noise because it only done it at 60 MPH and when I stopped to check the issue it was done tapping. Good Luck. Get a good 30MM nozzle socket to prevent damage to the return nipples.

dc_cucv

Well wanted to update that i DO NOT recommend Diesel Care and Performance in TN. I sent them my pump over 3 weeks ago, and no one has called me to let me know what was going on, so I had to call them every day to get status. And 3 weeks later, they still tell me they are working on the quote.

Gave the sales mgr til this afternoon to get me a real update, otherwise I am having them ship my core back and will file charge back fraud charges for the $100 they made me pay as a down payment.

If you need your pump done in a timely manner, DO NOT use Diesel Care in TN.
While I cannot attest to their skill level/quality, i know they suck at customer service and work on their own time.

Guess I'll try Oregon Fuel Injection now that I wasted damn near a month with Diesel Care and literally got nowhere.

cucvrus

DB2 Fuel Injection Pump for 6.2L 6.5L 6.9L 7.3L 5.7L – Diesel Care & Performance
I used this service at least 50 times in the past 25 years. They emailed me a ship label I bagged the pump and sent it back. It came back in a week or 2 and it was always done right. Not sure what happened with yours. I have had Isuzu, Komatsu, Ford, and tons of CUCV pumps rebuilt without incident. I sold them a few cores 10 years ago. And I mark the pump with a punch and always get the same pump housing back rebuilt.
6.2 diesel pumps are no longer high on the parts chain. I know a few parts are either discontinued or currently unavailable. Welcome to the new world. that pump used to be a $300. rebuild. That was $300. from my door to there's and back. Good Luck.

dc_cucv

yea well I shipped them my core over 3 weeks ago. They told me i was looking at a 2-3 week turnaround. they still havent even ordered parts for it.

They have never ONCE called me to let me know what was going on. I ALWAYS have to call them and track them down.

Maybe they treat you right since you go back with them.
For other customers, no so much.

Very disappointed and shit out of luck about getting my truck running by thanksgiving. DIESEL CARE SUCKS!!!

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call OFI, ask and see if there is anyway they could get you an IP by Thanksgiving.

It's worth a phone call.

You can send a core back to them after you have received the new IP.

dc_cucv

OFI does have a 4544 in stock, and would cost me right under 1k with the core charge.

Problem is that Diesel Care already took apart my core, and OFI states on their core return policy that it need to be intact/put together.

However......
A guy named Spencer at Diesel Care has reached out to me and it trying to make things right. Since getting my 4267 back was gonna take a long time and probably a lot more money, I asked if he had a 4544 ready to go. He went to go check with the guys in the back and low and behold they were actually working on a batch of 4544's that are almost done and he was able to secure one for me. Instead of rebuilding my 4267, I'm going to use that as the core and have him send me a reman 4454. Total with core will be 780ish and he said he'd be able to ship it to me on Monday, so i'd have it for thanksgiving when i plan on getting it put it...hopefully.

I get that some of these are getting harder to find and to find parts for. I just have a problem being told one thing, then silence, then told something else.
But for now Spencer's really been helpful, so hopefully everything goes thru and works out.
Had this truck little over 8 months now and i'm really getting the itch to drive it more. And I really want it 100% drive-able for the winter since my gf has taken over my suv.

dc_cucv

Also, is there a particular seal kit for installing a pump?
Diesel care didn't have an entire kit in stock.

Do i just need an intake manifold gasket or are there others as well?

Guessing i should probably be able to get them at Napa or is there something special on the J code engines?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks