• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP replacement questions/problems

pistonium

Hi all - can someone let me know what to expect upon installing a new injection pump for getting the engine going again? Here are my questions - embedded in the story:

condemned old IP, was running pretty good except some unplanned acceleration problems.

had an IP that came on one of the GL takeouts from the Hummers when they went to 6.5's. This IP had a sticker on it saying it was from inventory in 2008, so I figured it should be OK. (are the parts on a hummer take out usually good? The whole engine was depot overhauled in 2001).

put the new IP into the truck. (what a job!) Pulled the return hose at the IP. Cranked many 15 second cranks. Got fuel through to the return hose from the pump, no problem, but I can't get any fuel to come of of the pipes at the injectors.

So how long does it take to prime the pipes to the injectors? I have a good lift pump and fuel filter was not a problem when I took it out of service a few days ago. Shut off solenoid on IP clicks on and off OK.

Any other ideas for me to try? I've got 6 injector pipes loose at the injectors, no fuel coming out at all....what should the pump pressure look like at an injector? Big flow or just a drop or two....?

Thanks -

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you change the shutoff relay with a CUCV 12V one?

pistonium

Hey Doghead - Yes, I'm leaning towards a shut off solenoid problem too, but I took it off the hummer engine and am putting it on a M1008....so no problem there, right?

Ah, let's see, the real question ....is a hummer shut off solenoid a 24VDC device?

Thanks again -

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Humvee IP will working the CUCV but , the CUCV shutoff is 12v and the Humvee is 24volts. You need to change out the shutoff solenoid or use a relay and use the original 12v pink wire to close a relay that can feed the Humvee shutoff with 24 volts. to test if the 24v shutoff is your problem, use a jumper wire and feed the shutoff with 24v+(rear battery+) and see if stays running. Then decide how you want to proceed.

MATT

After you solve your shutoff solenoid problem - You should have a dribble to a small squirt(depending on how loose the nut is) coming from the loosened injector lines at the injector.

pistonium

Hey, the truck is running! You hit the nail on the head, I jumpered 24V over to the shut off coil and I was in business. I'll swap the 12V coil in as soon as I get a chance - Thanks again -

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! :-D

dstang97

Also to make things Easier you can remove the glow plugs so there is no compression when you prime your lines.

K9Vic

I can get a 6.5L Military IP pump for a good price, the model is DB2829-4879 and it does have the 24v solenoid. I have a new 12v solenoid to replace it with, I just wanted to make sure the part number is good for the 6.2L. My M1009 IP is starting to go out and found a 6.5L IP rebuilt one for cheap locally.

dhedden

Just a thought for you guys. I don't know what you have been paying but I got one last year from pensacola diesel for around $300. Service was great.

SmokeyDod

I think you need to have someone verify that the IP you mentioned is a 6.5L pump. The pump DB-2829-xxxx I believe are for the 6.2L engines and the pumps for the 6.5L all have the DB-2831-xxxx. Ck it out, I wouldn't want you to get mislead.