• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IR lights for a CUCV

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I am just wondering.

I have seen some posts here about IR lights being used on some CUCV's.

Now, here is my question...

What is the reason for this, why do it, is there a practical, useful need for one?

That is all.. Thank you...

CycleJay

Hello OD,

Thank you for the reply, and the tip.

I would just like to get mine as ready as possible for when SHTF.

And I have seen posts about these, and thought they may be helpful at some point.
So I will consider adding them to my M1009's optional want to do list.

Thank you,

donalloy1

I am with you CycleJay. Have added to my wish list also. They look like they have unique terminal landings on them? Anybody know the part numbers/manufacturer of those terminals? Have never seen them before.

Above and beyond that. Does anyone have a link for proper wiring of these fixtures? When I do this job I want it to be properly installed. Thanks, DMLII sends....

combat32

Ain't worth a hoot without NVG's, now if you have a set of Pvs5's or say Pvs7's you can slap them on your head turn on your IR light and drive down the road at 60mph with the headlights off at night,

CycleJay

Donalloy,

Thank you for the "I am with you CycleJay".. Please let me know what you find out.
And I will do the same if I find out anything.

Combst, thank you for the information and advice. Duly noted.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ain't worth a hoot without NVG's, now if you have a set of Pvs5's or say Pvs7's you can slap them on your head turn on your IR light and drive down the road at 60mph with the headlights off at night,
Vehicle lighting allows you to see, but also to BE seen. IR lighting and the best nogs in the world won't help you from t-boning someone who didn't see you coming.

combat32

Really? I wasn't advocating driving down a civilian roadway with your headlights off, only pointing out what this feature (IR light) is good for, military applications.I forgot this place is full of lawyers:driver:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? I wasn't advocating driving down a civilian roadway with your headlights off, only pointing out what this feature (IR light) is good for, military applications.I forgot this place is full of lawyers:driver:
Oh no, I wasn't being critical of your post at all! I was agreeing and adding some thoughts based on the use of lights/nogs in a SHTF environment.

combat32

Got it Mainsail, my bad, just a BTW a good set of NVG's = about 2,500 to 5,000 bucks.You can pick up an IR light for as little as 20 bucks, I got some for free that came off of some M113's.Just something to figger into the IR light discussion:-D

CycleJay

Ok,
New question.

I have been looking around online, and cannot find any mil-spec looking IR lights,
that would go on a CUCV anyway, I even tried ebay, no good.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this. Many cameras and camcorders can see IR light. Video won't be anywhere close to what you are used to but if you had the IR lighting on you could see what it's illuminating (somewhat) with video equipment.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with you CycleJay. Have added to my wish list also. They look like they have unique terminal landings on them? Anybody know the part numbers/manufacturer of those terminals? Have never seen them before.

Above and beyond that. Does anyone have a link for proper wiring of these fixtures? When I do this job I want it to be properly installed. Thanks, DMLII sends....

Terminals are Packard and can be obtained from Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus or Saturn Surplus. Lamp grounds through the mounting stud. Wiring is simple. I use a fused SPDT switch. One terminal is the high beam, and the other is the low beam. The bulb is a 55/110 watt 28 volt.
I have replacement bulbs available, check the classifieds.

donalloy1

Outstanding 319, thats all I need to complete mission. As for getting T-Boned and legal challenges. In my area all are driving Prius's. When they T-Bone the Beast it will hurt them more than I!:driver: