• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iraq gets lots of HMMWVs

jwb79

well we gave them the trucks but no parts. we had to train them on how to work on them and when it can to much they flat bed them to us to rebuild and the things they did to them was shocking and a few words i cant post here would not be proper hours on hours and months not days or weeks just to get them running again. had to use our used parts or drmo before the shut off from using it for them.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know there is Factory in Egypt, clone of the one Toledo that builds M1s and Bradleys I think. since cater was president Part of camp david peace crap..lol
Now Dave, the plant in Ohio is in Lima, not Toledo. They no longer build them at the plant, they just refurbish the old ones. I had a tour of the place back in the day when they built the new ones, awesome.

sw

BTW They have one sitting out in front of the plant now, I just drove past it two months ago.

GoldComet6

Now Dave, the plant in Ohio is in Lima, not Toledo. They no longer build them at the plant, they just refurbish the old ones. I had a tour of the place back in the day when they built the new ones, awesome.

sw

BTW They have one sitting out in front of the plant now, I just drove past it two months ago.
The National Geograhic channel has the show "Ultimate Factories" and they did an episode about the M1 Abrams a few years ago. They showed them being stripped and disassembled in Anniston AL and then the hulls and parts are shipped via rail to Lima OH. They're rebulit using some new stuff, refurbished parts and the powerpacks are rebuilt as well. They are test driven on a track at the Lima plant, with the final step being firing tests at Fort Bliss TX.

Pretty cool show - I saved it on my PC and have watched it several times.[thumbzup]

Here is the DVD that includes it and other factories.
Amazon.com: Ultimate Factories Collection: Artist Not Provided: Movies & TV

narc20

I rememeber watching news coverage of the recents events in Egypt and seeing Abrams tanks during the protests. I thought to myself "Self, I hope those dont get used against us or our friends."

egypt3.jpg

egypt2.jpg

egypt1.jpg

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought
my Nephew is a Marine tanker he told me that or at least the scuttlbutt is that the U.S. military will be phasing out heavy armor as there is nothing a tank can do that a Helicopter cant and the chopper can trasport itself ( I asked him how do you take cover behind a Helicopter ) But has anyone else heard of this?
thanks Jerry
The Army is not phasing out heavy armor. We've been reorganizing into a BDE centric force for awhile now, but heavy brigade combat teams, of which M1s are an integral part, are very much a part of our Army. The rumor still persists that Stryker mobile gun systems are replacing tanks, but that is not the case. MGSs just give a Stryker brigade combat team an organic direct fire capability to support infantry. SBCTs also have anti tank guided missile Strykers, but that does not mean going head to head against a MBT with either MGS or ATGM Strykers will ever be considered a good idea.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

idM1028

Big deal. The Iraqis were using HMWWV's and M16A2's when I was there in '08-'09. Granted, we weren't giving them the M1151's with the Frag 5 kits, but they had our old HMWWV's and they had at least a little armor on them. Shoot, we're giving the Afghans M4's and nightvision and I trust them even less. Plus, whatever HMWWV's the Iraqis have probably won't last long. Their logisitics system is terrible and Iraqi mechanics solution to everything seems to be stick it in a bench vise, bang on it with a hammer and "In Shallah"

akt12

MOSUL, Iraq — Just days after the*Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) seized control of Iraq’s northern cities of Mosul and Tikrit, the group’s lightning*offensive*has reportedly ground to a halt after ISIS unsuccessfully attempted to use*dozens of captured U.S. M1114 Humvees.

“We were considerably more mobile with Toyota Technicals,” complained*ISIS cell leader Ibrahim ibn Abdullah ibn Sabah Al-Rahman. “But once we captured these unreliable monstrosities, our leadership started worrying about our safety.”

“Now we can’t even leave our base without at least four*up-armored Humvees and an RPG team, plus*we have to have three ground guides with reflective belts every time we are backing out of our parking spot,” Al-Rahman said as he angrily gestured towards a dilapidated Humvee. “And don’t get me started on all the protective gear we have to wear. Even the suicide bombers were told they wouldn’t be getting into paradise if they were caught in one without a helmet, flak, gloves, and flame retardant clothes!”

During the course of the interview, Al-Rahman was interrupted by*at least one angry phone call from ISIS leader*Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, demanding to*know why none of the Humvees*had their drip pans and chock blocks in place.

The M1114 HMMWV, known to the public as the “Humvee” and to the American soldier*as “the fu___g Humvee,” is the U.S. military’s all-purpose mobile*field kitchen, capable of cooking up to six soldiers alive in as many minutes. During the Iraq War, the U.S. discovered that they were also extremely effective at uncovering*IEDs, leading to the war-winning strategy of*driving over them as frequently as possible.

At the end of the Iraq War — in a gesture of revenge — the U.S. abandoned thousands of Humvees*in Iraq, an act compared to the Soviets seeding millions of land mines in Afghanistan, and with similar results once the Iraqis began*to drive them.

The Humvees were captured by ISIS on Tuesday after*being abandoned by Iraqi soldiers unable to locate the vehicles’ keys, which they claimed the U.S. advisers who alerted them to this feature had never provided. Although ISIS attempted to use*the vehicles immediately,*they were unable to properly employ*them because of the Humvee’s incredibly poor fuel consumption, as well as unsuccessful attempts to obtain*spare parts from manufacturer A.M. General in Indiana.

To make matters worse, in an almost-kharmic act of retribution, retreating Iraqi soldiers have begun emplacing*landmines and other ordnance along the roads, easily blowing up the few ISIS Humvees that have ventured south of Mosul.

“In the name of the Blessed Prophet, these things are death traps!” exclaimed one of Al-Rahman’s fighters. “How the **** could anyone drive these things around a parking lot, let alone into a combat zone?”

Al-Rahman then reminded him*that you go to jihad with the mujahideen you have, not the mujahideen you wish you had.

Following a 35% increase in casualties caused by*repeated Humvee rollovers, Al-Baghdadi called a halt to offensive operations, pending a series of mandatory safety classes for ISIS fighters. ISIS sources have vowed that the offensive would resume as soon as the classes had achieved 100% attendance, which would also give them time to capture some wreckers so they could at least tow the Humvees into battle.

ISIS has also apparently captured a dozen U.S.-made MRAPs from the Iraqi Army, but after two days had still not figured out how to drive them out of the motor pool.

Duffel Blog correspondents*John Mittle,*Dark Laughter,*Dick Scuttlebutt,*Jay-B

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MOSUL, Iraq — Just days after the*Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) seized control of Iraq’s northern cities of Mosul and Tikrit, the group’s lightning*offensive*has reportedly ground to a halt after ISIS unsuccessfully attempted to use*dozens of captured U.S. M1114 Humvees.

Sorry, they did not capture dozens of U.S. anything. They captured a bunch of Iraqi equipment we left for their soldiers.

They only thing they would be capturing of ours is bullets.

They rest was funny.

FloridaAKM

Well written tongue in cheek piece about US supplied vehicles to the Iraqi Army. We still should have brought back the equipment or destroyed it in place rather than leave it intact overseas. It is coming back to haunt us!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but I get irked when things like that are brought up.

Sort of like us losing the Vietnam War when the last combat troops were pulled out two years before the place fell.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Whoever that writer was, he needs an award because there are several layers of hilarity there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks