• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Iraq takes delivery of final M1A1 tanks

combat32

The calibre of soldier in the tank is more important than the vehicle itself! I still say we could have traded vehicles with Iraq back in 91 and the outcome would have been the same. As stated above these are the export versions of the M1 no chobram armor and a different fire control system among other things. I agree that these will be motorpool queens in less than a year.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DIM LIGHT that let them have these is no doubt one of the idiots that let Egypt also have them , now all the nuts will have a chance to make sure they can kill these vehicles with our guys driving them , I guess this is how the White house thinks ITAR is supposed to work.

kcimb

These are export versions...same type of tank the Iraqis had in 91 and 2003. Didn't work. Good luck trying to win a fight against a USAR/USMC Abrams.

An Abrams vs Abrams fight would be very, very interesting to watch.

MarcusOReallyus

And of course, these are just exactly what they need for controlling terrorists. Yeah, just the perfect equipment for THAT mission. Of course that's what they want them for. Right.

I'm concerned that a few could be "inspected" by Iranian forces ...

You're forgetting something. Iraq & Iran are mortal enemies.

Did you forget what Saddam Hussein said about his WMD program? Well, maybe you didn't know about it since it wasn't convenient, er, I mean, important enough for our devoted media to tell everyone about it. So, I'll tell you what he told our intel folks after we captured him. We asked him why he kept pretending to have an active WMD program when we were threatening to invade him over it. He said he wanted Iran to think he had WMDs so that they would be afraid to attack him.

Nope, not worried at all about Iraq giving access to Iran.

It's bad enough that we've given them to Iraq!

I guess some idiot(s) decided to pretend they are now our allies, and some new idiot(s) decided to continue to pretend the same thing.

Varyag

I have to say I actually laughe when I read this. Just like the other DATs have said... they have no idea what they are getting into. M1 is a beautiful killing machine but is a full time job for a crew willing to work VERY hard to even keep it running enough to start in the motorpool once a week.

They would have been much better off with some t72s or t55s. Those would run longer.

laggy

as for aviation...

Funny we were talking about this at work the other day. I was told these A1's are an export version that doesn't have all the up to date bells and whistles. Hopefully that is the case.
im in aviation in the navy and were currently upgrading our arsenal of planes so ofcourse were auctioning off the old ones to someof our fellow "allied" countries. but not quite with all the bells and whistles. some even just the basic flight components.

so im fairly certain we would be ok... but hey least we have drones. and man the ones that no one even know about yet... crazy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And...with all caps on and making any political statements will get you banned from this site.

Just read the rules, have a beer and relax.

saddamsnightmare

November 7th, 2012.

Dare I say.....

If I were one of the moderators on here, several folks would be getting a warning, however, I am not, so let's get down to brass tacks. Political speech is political speech, no matter how you cut it...take it somewhere else.

NOW, time for a reality check... The M-1 Abrams that we gave to Iraq will not be the equivalent of ours, even the US Army is wise enough to know its an unstable area. Further, as many folks here have said, the Abrams under the best conditions is a maintainers nightmare, and the Iraqi and Afghani sands will only make it worse. Besides gentlemen, the profits made on the export models should reduce our costs on our models considerably.
And as you might say, it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the fight in the dog.

Observe most wars fought historically in the Middle East during the 20th-21st centuries, have often found the native fighters (other then in guerilla warfare situations) losing miserably even when equipped with modern equipment and instructed by very competant instructors. Witness the two Mid-East wars between Egypt and Israel in the 1960's... A LOT of the information we received about Russian armor and air units came from captured examples of their equipment. The same will happen with anything the Chinese provide to that area, we'll be taking it apart shortly thereafter.

So the upshot is, to use General Patton's sage advice, is not for us to die for our country, but make a lot of those other poor dumb bastards die for THEIR country. As long as we are fighting people who are not willing to die for their country, in second rate equipment, life should be good for us.

However, it is well to not underestimate the fact that SOME of their people are willing to die for their country, wearing suicide vests or drive VIED's, creating casualties we are not willing to accept. They may fight a war lasting centuries, we are not willing to fight one lasting years, as we lack the intestinal fortitude to do so. And that is where the Mid-Eastern and Eastern minds do differ from ours, it may take generations, but they may well win.

Perhaps our generals and politicians need to reread both the "Art of War" by Sun Tzu, and perhaps even the Koran, to better understand just what we are working against, or rather, what's working against us. Both treatises will give great insights into the minds of our possible opponents, but please note also, when the war goes against them, the insurgents and the Al-Quaeda types usually take a hike and let the unprotected civillians who they have been usings as masks take the heat.... the "Freedom" fighters are often the ones who have the freedom to walk away.....

Just some food for your thoughts, gentlemen,

have a good day!

Last edited:

fireball

FMS(foreign military sales) is a very important foreign policy to our government. We really want foreign governments to buy our stuff and it really helps our balance of trade. Plus the developmental costs really come down when you make and sell more of them. You have a tendency to know the shortcomings of your own systems and can plan effectively to take advantage of those shortcomings. Bottom line our ultimate weapon is government liquidation corp. We just have to tell our enemies that we will help them unload old equipement with GL and they give up quickly

To those who think they will be down due to maintenance in a matter of months I guess you forgot how our government allows US citizens to go work for allied government military's as "contractors" so basically as long as we are "friends" with iraq there will be former Army mechanics maintaining those Abrams for 4-8 times the amount of pay they made a year in the military.

To those who think they will be down due to maintenance in a matter of months I guess you forgot how our government allows US citizens to go work for allied government military's as "contractors" so basically as long as we are "friends" with iraq there will be former Army mechanics maintaining those Abrams for 4-8 times the amount of pay they made a year in the military.
The contractors have to find a way to pay for rising heathcare costs too... Just saying....:doh:

Gunner0311

We have many M60A1s that are practically new, still being stored in Europe waiting for the Russian invasion. Those could be shipped to the middle east easily, but I suppose it is also important to keep the M1 Tank factory in Lima Ohio
up and running. Read you own reasons for operating a factory for no good reason.....

M813A1

I Bet the Russians will swing a deal for one of those M1A1's and then copy it and make their own version to replace their T80s that got creamed by the M1A1's in the war !!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have many M60A1s that are practically new, still being stored in Europe waiting for the Russian invasion. Those could be shipped to the middle east easily, but I suppose it is also important to keep the M1 Tank factory in Lima Ohio
up and running. Read you own reasons for operating a factory for no good reason.....
They keep it running to refurbish M1s up to like new condition.

kcimb

It's in the best interest of the nation to keep the factory up and running as long as possible. We never know what might be around the corner. The iraqis want the latest and greatest...not cold war hand me downs.

moriboy

Maybe we sell our equipment to "allies" so we know exactly what they have. Then, if the time comes we know how to defeat it. Letting these guys use our stuff hopefully lessons the chance they are using other unknown technology.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks