• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet.com Selling Military Rolling Stock SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military is blind to it then. If they knew civilians were driving around a mil base in an unregistered military truck they would not be happy about it. It's an unbelievable security issue especially with everything going on today.
Hmmm... This makes me curious. Any problems encountered driving your registered MV back on base to pickup something from another auction?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hmmm... This makes me curious. Any problems encountered driving your registered MV back on base to pickup something from another auction?
Only if you try to drive a tactical vehicle through a gate that doesn't allow tactical vehicles. . . .

Then you have to convince the guard that it's a POV. . .

Fort Bliss

They let my M35 through, after seeing the New Mexico license plate!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Driving a mv on base for a specific purpose after showing proper documentation and receiving clearance is significantly different than having a friend drop you off at the GL lot and driving away with your new truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I had a long conversation with a GOVPLANET rep today. He was friendly and somewhat knowledgeable about how the changeover is going to take place. The vehicles will remain where they are located and there will be GP personnel at major installations where large numbers of vehicles sell from.

I mentioned the 8 days verses 10 day removal time and he said as long as a customer is proactive in getting the vehicle removed they will work with you, especially for unmanned sites.

As far as the credit card issue he said 5k per transaction. They treat each vehicle as a separate event and so you can buy 10 trucks at 5k or less each and they will run the card on each one.

One issue I had was not being able to put multiple trucks on my watchlist and put a min bid in on all of them and watch the bidding while being able to see the bidders number of who else was bidding. The reply was that they don't do it that way and it ain't gonna change.

Each vehicle/trailer is it's own auction and while you can put them on a watch list you can't watch the bidding process as it progresses in relation to who is bidding against you.

As far as min bid he said it is based on what the person who is lotting them thinks it will bring based on research they have done (watching GL prices I assume). Don't ever look for a $25.00 minimum bid. They will take condition in consideration especially with residue trucks but they will consider scrap value also. I think the scrappers are going to hate this.

Let the games begin.

bricksrkids

I talked to someone close to the process and the reason for the higher staring bids is because GP is only getting 24.9% of th final sale. GL gets a much higher percentage.

So if GP has to move a truck to a location to sell it, how much would that cost? We all know the cost to ship a truck runs about $2.50 to $3 a mile. So if they have an m939 to move 200 miles, they are already down $500-$600 on moving costs. Then they inspect them, which costs man hours. They have to store the. Just like GL did, which has a cost. Sometimes the DRMO may move them for GP, but I can't find anything in the contract that makes that a requirement.

So if they get $4,000 for a truck and have $1000 gross profit, their net will be less than $300-$400 a vehicle; not including long term storage costs and general overhead at manned and unmanned locations. Will they even make $100-$200?

So it looks like these guys may have higher costs as they get started. Maybe they can rent lots on bases or near bases to save shipping costs? Maybe they can reduce the cost of inspecting and storage? Remember, they have to store some items for months before they get sold. What does it cost to store a truck each month?

I can't see how GP is going to make much money.

I looked over the starting prices and think most things will sell above the prices. Yes, there won't be anymore $100 m105's which is very disappointing. Forget the $2000 trucks that don't run. I'm disappointed, but I really don't think it will change 95% of the sales.

Bill

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When trucks were rolling thru in quantity you could get a decent condition and running m923a2 for around 3500 plus fees. Then the stoppage happened and prices jumped way up. Give it 6 months of steady trucks all the resellers will be stocked up and there will be much less demand. The gov wants to move the trucks. GP could try to "throttle" the flow of trucks but they would just back up. Storing them costs money and these trucks don't do well sitting for long periods. The GL method of quick picks and description sell it and move on to the next one may work better in the end.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year I went to Fort Gordon and the gate personal tried to wave me and my military truck through. I had to stop and say hey I am not active military. Sent me to office at gate had no issues getting pass.
Now I would not want to try that at sac base.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead, w/o speaking of a "particular" auction, what errors do you see?
You guys have been doing this for eons before me. Knowledge is power,
I would like to learn. :)

I'll give one generic example of what I have seen listed. The description listed front and rear disk brakes. The vehicle was never available that way.

There were sever other similar errors I noticed in just a few minutes of browsing their site.

How they gonna guarantee that?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are all talking about a new auction place.
There are no active auction until Nov 19th
After or on Nov 19th then I think we would be breaking the rules
I wonder why the dump trucks are starting as low as they are.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are all talking about a new auction place.
There are no active auction until Nov 19th
After or on Nov 19th then I think we would be breaking the rules
I wonder why the dump trucks are starting as low as they are.
It is a upcoming auction so talking about it breaks the rules if the mods draw a hard line on it.

Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

Of course They may need to add GP to the list to remove a gray area some members may want to try and use as a loophole.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No posting specific auction details (including dates) until after the auction is over. The rules are pretty clear on this.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a upcoming auction so talking about it breaks the rules if the mods draw a hard line on it.

Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

Of course They may need to add GP to the list to remove a gray area some members may want to try and use as a loophole.

Loophole closed. Thx

;-)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see that they are carrying on the GL tradition of forklift damage to the trucks and driveshafts...... :-(

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead, w/o speaking of a "particular" auction, what errors do you see?
You guys have been doing this for eons before me. Knowledge is power,
I would like to learn. :)
I want to buy the trucks with Power widows, Power Locks, Power mirrors, Heated mirrors and chrome bumpers

Some may of not liked GL but I have concerns about Iron Planet as well

I have my concerns regarding IP. One big concern is not being to do a onsite inspection of a vehicle before I bid.. For example several M923's are listed on IP but they only list the state in which they are located, and not the city/base. They also don't list any info regarding preview dates, times, or how or if you can set one up. Are we now expected to buy / bid based on photo's and a IP "cursory at best visible condition inspection reports". I would much rather inspect myself or have someone i trust do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks