• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet is a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim292stro

I'd ask for a written reason why not - not confirming to FMVSS at time of manufacture could be a stupid as not having a reverse light, or not enough reflectors. Other times the vehicle will state somewhere that it doesn't conform to FMVSS because the manufacturer didn't want to go through the documentation. An inspection proving it does like those used on kit cars would be enough to get around that.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M931 insured through State Farm Here in Kansas they ran it as commercial INS no problem. There was a little trouble with the VIN but if I remember they ran it as a serial number instead of a VIN . It may take a bit of time dealing with your local Gov but it can be done.

hipaa

I know guys. I have read many of your posts about where, how and what before I started bidding. I have a friend in Holland Michigan that has a museum and he can pull his out for parades only. I want to drive it as a personal vehicle. Our SOS says I do not need to have a CDL w/endorsement if I do. But, NO ONE will insure it for the road with insuring it as a Commercial Truck! Then I need a CDL! I am 70% Combat-related VA and cannot pass the physical. (Use of left leg,Thrombosis, etc.) Hagerty is in my state. They will only insure collections stored indoors for parades and stuff. I was told by someone in another state to lie on the Title App for the year (instead of 1992 make it 1985) and get antique plates. Then SOS says that the MAX GVWR is what they will use, not the listed curb weight. So, back to commercial again........

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MI was happy to register a M813 as a pickup for me. What's the problem? USAA doesn't like 3 axles, but progressive insured with a commercial policy. Sure it costs more than you want to pay, but they insured with very few questions. Calm down and work through the problems.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CHUBB will insure it as a "collector" vehicle with no garaging requirements (they insure vehicles throughout the US but I don't have MI specific info). Whether it's collector insurance or not you're likely going to need a Class A license due to the weight and they won't insure a "I want to drive it every day" vehicle. Needing a Class A was the reason I wound up selling my 923. I am also disabled and can't pass the medical due to one of the meds I take. However, I took the risk that I could find some way to get the Class A and it didn't work out. Instead of just complaining about how unfair it was I simply sold my truck and moved on to something that doesn't require a Class A.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M38 is insured with USAA using a 7 digit VIN, now it's a much older vehicle, but they did do it.

I know there are members from the MI area, have you checked with them? I'm sure they'll pop up, just maybe dial down... where there's a will, there's a way.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I talked to Dwayne at 18007764737 (Progressive) Extension 9100948 Progressive is NOT insuring the 939 series
That's news to me. I just walked into my local Progressive office a few days ago and paid my premium.....with the M927A2 idling in the parking lot. My agent is an old guy that was in the Army in the 50's and he always gets a kick out of my huge "deuce and a half".
As far as filing a claim I filed one in October when a piece of metal fell off my truck and landed in the road. A lady in a Caddy coming the other way hit it and damaged the front of her car and her tire. The claim was paid with no feedback from Progressive. Just my experience for what it's worth.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hagertys won't insure anything newer than 1985 so I was told, but they will insure vehicles stored outside, they just charge a bit more for that.

hipaa

Mckoen thank you! Finally a straight answer! So to summarize----Class A or B CDL, Air Brake endorsement and Commercial Insurance. Anything else and you are risking your home and all future earnings driving these 5 tons. I get it now. Thanks again!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys I think something has changed recently regarding AM General and BMY/Harsco trucks. Ever since I got DOT'd up to be legal in my 915, insurance agents call me all the time based on the public access info in the database. Yesterday an agent called me wanting my business. Usually I tell them to pound sand, but for kicks I told him quote me. He called back a day later saying NO companies would insure an AM General.

hipaa

Thank you NDT. I did due diligence on this site. Read everything. Checked all the Stickies. Talked to my old collector buddies. The AM General and BMY thing is happening RIGHT NOW. I have gotten kicked-back at every turn by everyone. Maybe the MVPA can lobby for Federal DLA exemptions or something or this could get ugly quick! FWIW I am not a DLA government employee. Just a 10 year Combat-Related/Retired Vet wanting an old truck to use on farm/parades sometimes. I am so mad at the government red-tape that I had to vent here.

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Guys I think something has changed recently regarding AM General and BMY/Harsco trucks. Ever since I got DOT'd up to be legal in my 915, insurance agents call me all the time based on the public access info in the database. Yesterday an agent called me wanting my business. Usually I tell them to pound sand, but for kicks I told him quote me. He called back a day later saying NO companies would insure an AM General.
We are still talking 5 tons right?

hipaa

Yep I used to go by the plant every day on my way to work. My dad worked for Bendix and had to go into the Mishawaka plant back in 1990 to show them how to mount a master cylinder on Hum-vees. He was in charge of the "B" foundry in St. Joe. They sent him down personally to inspect. Seems the guys at AM liked to torque one side of the master cylinder to 70 Ft/lbs and then do the other bolt. Kept snapping off one of the ears on the back. Dad had to show them how to mount and cussed about it for a few years....

goldneagle

I have 7 trucks on my Travelers policy through Gulfway insurance. 5 of the trucks are 5 ton trucks. 4 of those have air brake systems. Just got renewed in January for another year. Louisiana has lifetime tags for "retired" military vehicles. No date requirement. Yes they can handle short VIN numbers. Just have to send the paperwork directly to DMV main office.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I But, NO ONE will insure it for the road with insuring it as a Commercial Truck! Then I need a CDL!
Why?

Each state has a definition of what a Commercial Vehicle is for CDL purposes. Each is different in subtle ways. I would be surprised to find the type of insurance you have is mentioned in any of them.

Commercial Insurance doesn't (necessarily) mean "Commercial Vehicle" for drivers licensing, or for registration. Each state has it's own quirks, go find out what MI's are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks